TheNiche

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/5561132.html

The Finger Cos. has purchased 11 acres west of downtown on West Dallas between Montrose and Waugh for a possible development that could include apartments, shops, offices and a hotel.

The tract is south of, and adjacent to, the AIG complex on Allen Parkway. Finger said plans have not been made final.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at this property, I know there is a large, empty, grassy section along waugh which must be what they are talking about. But it doesn't look like 11 acres to me. 11 acres would seem to have to include the frontage along the north side of Dallas all the way to Montrose. If that is correct, than he could have a lot of fun with this property. I'm pretty sure he can do better than Perry Homes did when they developed the south side of Dallas 6-8 years ago.

I have to agree that doesn't LOOK like 11 acres, but I'm not a good judge on that. I'm kinda' curious on how they're planning on building this thing and in what phases.

Offices, retail, then residential?

I don't know whether to agree or not as far as the "Ghost road" goes. There is a discernible difference in a straight line path, though. The other interesting thing (to me) is the foot path leading from the AIB garage and near the JIB.

What is cool in the aerial photo is that you can see where a street once ran through the site. Is there such a thing as a "ghost street"?

You are correct, sir.. Check out this image from 1995

For those of you who haven't used terraserver, you can change year/resolution by clicking on that "Imagery" dropdown box. 4/1/98 and 12/8/00 (especially) have pretty good resolution around the city

What is cool in the aerial photo is that you can see where a street once ran through the site. Is there such a thing as a "ghost street"?

Follow the alignment due north to where there is a bend at Waugh. There is a little cut where such a "ghost street" could merge back into Waugh, which I'd suspect is the original alignment of a former bridge.

The eleven acres are not adjacent. One part is on the northwestern corner of Dallas and Montrose. The other is on the northeastern corner of Dallas and Waugh.

What I've heard from Cushman Wakefield is the Dallas/Montrose piece is strictly residential and the Dallas/Waugh piece is retail. Who knows, though. They were only the brokers. AIG corporate ain't talking, other than to announce it sold to Finger.

I know the article notes that plans are not yet final, but is there an early word on what mix of uses will be going here? Inside track to who has been retained to to site planning / architecture?

yes but its not public information.

one could do a little research, take an educated guess whos doing his plans, and then make a phone call. doubt that particular firm would disclose anything but you never know.

i know, i know.. i can be such a tease sometimes but i aint saying squat.

:ph34r:

yes but its not public information.

one could do a little research, take an educated guess whos doing his plans, and then make a phone call. doubt that particular firm would disclose anything but you never know.

i know, i know.. i can be such a tease sometimes but i aint saying squat.

:ph34r:

My "Fingers" are crossed that it will be another Jackson+Ryan project. They designed the Museum Tower and One Park Place for Finger so I am praying we'll get another solid high-rise tower in this location. If it is a high-rise, then I hope they go with the mixed-use route ala One Park Place. My only negative comment on the Museum Tower is the ground floor could have easily housed a restaurant/cafe which could have served the museum district and offered cool views over Bell Park.

Those two intersections (Dallas @ Montrose, NW and Dallas @ Waugh, NE) are two strategically sound intersections, although I tend to think both would work better as retail rather than residential.

Correct, the bigger chunk at Waugh and Dallas is about 7.5 acres.

If the 11 acres is reported correct, then the lesser chunk appears to extend along Dallas from Montrose to maybe Eberhard, which would make that area about 3.75 acres.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have access to renderings of the Whole Foods/Finger Cos. development announced by Nancy Sarnoff this afternoon?

www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/5776413.html

I'm very interested to know if it is mixed use in its site planning or only in its tenant mix?

Does anyone have access to renderings of the Whole Foods/Finger Cos. development announced by Nancy Sarnoff this afternoon?

www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/5776413.html

I'm very interested to know if it is mixed use in its site planning or only in its tenant mix?

There is an existing thread about this property here

Sounds interesting...

A future phase includes a high-rise apartment tower for the land closer to Montrose. Developer Marvy Finger said the building could be similar to his company's 20-story Museum Tower on Montrose near the Museum District.

This is only gonna get our hopes up and we'll look back at this article in the future and only sigh.

This is only gonna get our hopes up and we'll look back at this article in the future and only sigh.

lol :D ...but another grocery store (whole foods) would be great for the area b/c Krogers on W.Gray gets crazy at times.

Archived