The Post Oak Hotel At Uptown Houston At 1600 West Loop S.

King Owl

This is quickly becoming a very serious question with all of the development uptown and suburban style street grid that is already gridlocked. It seems like something will have to change with the streets at some point.

I live in Uptown and really don't think the traffic situation actually within Uptown is really that bad. It's mostly getting out of Uptown (San Felipe and Westheimer eastbound toward 610) in the afternoons that is insane. 610 backs up and then all the feeders to it back up as well and it starts to affect the roads in Uptown. It amazes me how well the Uptown district has managed do traffic management consider what a giant cluster it all is. At the end of the day, the only real options are 1. to make more road segments in uptown one way to reduce traffic light cycles (i.e. west alabama between sage and post oak) and 2. reduce/remove cutout in the median on post oak/westheimer that allow left turns at non-traffic lights (this will happen on post oak in conjunction with the BRT)

• Like 1

I live in Uptown and really don't think the traffic situation actually within Uptown is really that bad. It's mostly getting out of Uptown (San Felipe and Westheimer eastbound toward 610) in the afternoons that is insane. 610 backs up and then all the feeders to it back up as well and it starts to affect the roads in Uptown. It amazes me how well the Uptown district has managed do traffic management consider what a giant cluster it all is. At the end of the day, the only real options are 1. to make more road segments in uptown one way to reduce traffic light cycles (i.e. west alabama between sage and post oak) and 2. reduce/remove cutout in the median on post oak/westheimer that allow left turns at non-traffic lights (this will happen on post oak in conjunction with the BRT)

I agree. I live in the Memorial Villages area and worked in the Galleria for 2 years. I rarely had any problems with traffic. I think it's people commuting on the freeways that have the most trouble.

That's why it's so great that mass transit will be built in Uptown, but not connecting to it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.bidclerk.com/project/2920160.html

Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in Houston. Design plans call for the construction of a new two-story conference center, construction of a new 30-story hotel, construction of a new parking garage, and construction of two new office buildings.

Plans for office building 1 call for construction of a two-story, 10,000-square-foot building, and plans for building two call for construction of a new one-story, 8,000-square-foot office building. A firm scope for the conference center have not yet been released, however the hotel will have two levels below grade. The parking garage will contain a total of 672 stalls. Plans also call for associated paving for 249 new surface parking stalls.

• Like 1

https://www.bidclerk.com/project/2920160.html

Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in Houston. Design plans call for the construction of a new two-story conference center, construction of a new 30-story hotel, construction of a new parking garage, and construction of two new office buildings.

Plans for office building 1 call for construction of a two-story, 10,000-square-foot building, and plans for building two call for construction of a new one-story, 8,000-square-foot office building. A firm scope for the conference center have not yet been released, however the hotel will have two levels below grade. The parking garage will contain a total of 672 stalls. Plans also call for associated paving for 249 new surface parking stalls.

• 5 weeks later...

Did anyone see the Tilman Fertitta downer of an interview on Bloomberg? Based on what Swamplot's reporting ("national real estate crash starts in Houston", "inflation is huge", blah, blah, blah...), I have to wonder if this project is headed for the back burner. :wacko:

http://swamplot.com/tilman-fertitta-sees-and-smells-a-nationwide-real-estate-crash-starting-in-houston/2014-11-14/

Edited by toxtethogrady

He's complaining about inflation as if it's a national thing, when the likely truth is it's just the local conditions in Houston. Which I guess are being duplicated in Dallas, Austin, New York, San Francisco and anywhere else where construction labor and materials are in short supply (in other words, the boom towns). I doubt this is happening in Detroit. After all, gasoline's down to $2.29 a gallon somewhere in Spring, Texas.

• 2 weeks later...

Q: A few details recently came out about a major hotel and conference center project you're planning near your headquarters. If there's so much building going on, why add to it?

A: I haven't 100 percent confirmed it. But I'm very bullish on Houston long-term. I'm a long-term player in Houston. I'm not a seller. I'm building for the next 30 years. I'm not building to flip a property, and I don't put high leverage on my real estate.

Q: What would keep you from starting the project?

A: The only thing that would keep me from building it is if there would be a crash in the economy next 60 days. Oil going to $60 doesn't affect me. This is me doing this project. I look at things from a long-term standpoint.

Q: Willie G's on Post Oak Boulevard?

A: I'll be moving it. I'll disclose that a little bit later.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Houston-billionaire-plans-expansion-even-as-5917677.php

Edited by Mab
  • Like 2

Tillman Fertitta is such a contradiction. He says one thing then he back doors it with something else. It's ridiculous.

He's just playing the game. If he can come out and put a little extra fear in the market it benefits him (potentially). Always consider what someone has to gain and take very little at face value.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I spoke to who appeared to be a foreman and workers on site. This work is indeed related to utilities necessary for the 3-story hotel. Of course, just because utilities are being installed does not necessarily follow that excavation for construction on the main tower will immediately follow thereafter. However, it is nice to see this site move forward in some fashion.

• Like 2

I spoke to who appeared to be a foreman and workers on site. This work is indeed related to utilities necessary for the 3-story hotel. Of course, just because utilities are being installed does not necessarily follow that excavation for construction on the main tower will immediately follow thereafter. However, it is nice to see this site move forward in some fashion.

A 3 story hotel?