Fidel Castro Has Stepped Down As Cuba's President

DJ V Lawrence

It just hit the news a couple minutes ago. Fidel Castro, for the first time in around 50 years, will no longer be Cuba's president. The power has shifted to his brother Raul.

I don't know if it means any significant political changes or not, but this event is indeed historic seeing the relationship the U.S. has had with Cuba since his reign. I'm curious if this announcement will be addressed via policy proposals in our presidential elections or not.

From what I understand, Fidel's bro is actually more hard core than he is.

Ah, youth.

But it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 10 years as his bro eventually dies. As far as I know they don't plan on passing it on to anyone younger than 50 for years to come.

I cant recall ever knowing why Fidel had so much hate for the USA? Just seemed like he would never go away...ever. Like a fly you swat at but it keeps bugging the crap out of you. I dont see much changing politically anyway. May worsen. -_-

I cant recall ever knowing why Fidel had so much hate for the USA? Just seemed like he would never go away...ever. Like a fly you swat at but it keeps bugging the crap out of you. I dont see much changing politically anyway. May worsen. -_-

I was kinda wondering the same thing about The US. We could have killed them with capitalism, but instead, US policies have kept Castro in power a good 20 years longer than he would have been without us to blame their problems on. At least Bush now has his legacy. "We never surrendered to Cuba!"

At least Bush now has his legacy. "We never surrendered to Cuba!"

Which is more than many of the "elite" in this country (including Jimmy Carter) can say, seeing as how they take every opportunity to kiss his ring. I never understood so many people's fascination with this man

Which is more than many of the "elite" in this country (including Jimmy Carter) can say, seeing as how they take every opportunity to kiss his ring. I never understood so many people's fascination with this man

The fascination stems from the US government's obsession. I mean, really, banning Cuban cigars and travel to the country? I had a chance to travel to Cuba 3 or 4 years ago, but only if our lawyers group could convince the State Department that we were going to study the Cuban legal system. After months of negotiations and pleading...nada. And national security was enhanced how?

The fascination stems from the US government's obsession. I mean, really, banning Cuban cigars and travel to the country? I had a chance to travel to Cuba 3 or 4 years ago, but only if our lawyers group could convince the State Department that we were going to study the Cuban legal system. After months of negotiations and pleading...nada. And national security was enhanced how?

Perhaps it was the Cubans themselves who kept you out :ph34r: they viewed you as a threat to rum production! :lol:

Seriously, the embargo after all these decades, is a joke, even by our foreign policy standards.

I know two people who have gotten into Cuba from Jamaica. Risky, though.

The US policy on Cuba has been odd for nearly 50 years now, that's for sure.

However, that's a pretty lame reason for treating a brutal dictator like an honorable head of state. Quite shameful, IMHO.

I was kinda wondering the same thing about The US. We could have killed them with capitalism, but instead, US policies have kept Castro in power a good 20 years longer than he would have been without us to blame their problems on. At least Bush now has his legacy. "We never surrendered to Cuba!"

It's a very common pattern for maintaining power over people. See the relationship between China and Taiwan. Mao understood that keeping a small threat (that isn't really a threat) close by was useful. Keep the people afraid of something and they'll happily give up their freedoms.

With the Eternal War on Terror, I don't think we need Cuba anymore. I expect relations to thaw quickly.

It's a very common pattern for maintaining power over people. See the relationship between China and Taiwan. Mao understood that keeping a small threat (that isn't really a threat) close by was useful. Keep the people afraid of something and they'll happily give up their freedoms.

Global warming anyone? ;)

With the Eternal War on Terror, I don't think we need Cuba anymore. I expect relations to thaw quickly.

Wouldn't the most optimal time for that to happen have been in 1991? With the collapse of the Soviet Union, the presence of a communist regime in Cuba went from a significant strategic threat to a minor annoyance (if that).

Global warming anyone? ;)

Just because some threats are paper tigers doesn't mean all threats are.

Wouldn't the most optimal time for that to happen have been in 1991? With the collapse of the Soviet Union, the presence of a communist regime in Cuba went from a significant strategic threat to a minor annoyance (if that).

See Cuba Lobby. They are opposed to Fidel personally, and they contribute.

The US policy on Cuba has been odd for nearly 50 years now, that's for sure.

However, that's a pretty lame reason for treating a brutal dictator like an honorable head of state. Quite shameful, IMHO.

We've been doing that for decades. Remember when Saddam Hussein was our friend? Osama bin Laden? How about the House of Saud? US foreign policy is littered with marriages of convenience with otherwise despicable characters and governments. US policy toward Cuba cannot be reasonably explained in the context of the larger foreign policy picture. In the last 8 years, it can probably only be explained in the context of Florida gubernatorial politics.

We've been doing that for decades. Remember when Saddam Hussein was our friend? Osama bin Laden? How about the House of Saud? US foreign policy is littered with marriages of convenience with otherwise despicable characters and governments. US policy toward Cuba cannot be reasonably explained in the context of the larger foreign policy picture. In the last 8 years, it can probably only be explained in the context of Florida gubernatorial politics.

Agreed, but I wasn't referring to official US policy. Rather, I was referring to those who think they are thumbing their noses at US Policy and being "cool" by nuzzling up next to him.

We've been doing that for decades. Remember when Saddam Hussein was our friend? Osama bin Laden?

The US did use mujahideen to fight the Soviets but I do not recall any direct special chemistry between OBL himself and the U.S. government.

What made OBL hate the USA? When Saddam came with the Gulf War the Saudis wanted protection. OBL offered his men but the Saudis chose the Americans. The Americans being stationed near holy sites ANGERED OBL. Since OBL was a war hero, all the Saudis could do to silence OBL was deport him.

From what I understand, Fidel's bro is actually more hard core than he is.

Ah, youth.

But it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 10 years as his bro eventually dies. As far as I know they don't plan on passing it on to anyone younger than 50 for years to come.

Didn't Cuba used to jail homosexuals? Now they're moving to same-sex unions. I've heard that some of Castro's family members are more progressive, and that's why we've been seeing less of a hard-line in recent years.

ETA: Yeah I think it's because Mariela Castro - Raul's daughter - is a gay-rights activist.

Didn't Cuba used to jail homosexuals? Now they're moving to same-sex unions. I've heard that some of Castro's family members are more progressive, and that's why we've been seeing less of a hard-line in recent years.

ETA: Yeah I think it's because Mariela Castro - Raul's daughter - is a gay-rights activist.

All the more curious that Republican administrations are so anti-Castro.

All the more curious that Republican administrations are so anti-Castro.

Well, Raul may be a hardliner so that it doesn't matter. Dynasties are funny that way. Sometimes they seem relatively moderate, but then their successors assert their right to spy on citizens, torture prisoners, and even execute over 150 of them.

Well, Raul may be a hardliner so that it doesn't matter. Dynasties are funny that way. Sometimes they seem relatively moderate, but then their successors assert their right to spy on citizens, torture prisoners, and even execute over 150 of them.

Which dynasty are you talking about?

The fascination stems from the US government's obsession. I mean, really, banning Cuban cigars and travel to the country?

I never understood that... I thought America was supposed to be the land of the free... we should be free to travel wherever we like. <_<

Archived