Over Crowded Park & Ride Buses

ricco67

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On different points :

Overcrowded P & R buses :

- On the 290 routes this is a big problem (at least the 214 and 217). I catch the bus at the NWTC, so I get it after it after it has left downtown. The 217 (Cypress) has always been packed. Usually requires standing and sometimes you can not even get on because people are standing all the way to the door. Lately the 214 (1960) bus has become an issue even though those buses run about every 5 minutes during peak time.

People lining up to get on the buses :

- I use P & R and local buses (33/35/49) and I have notice that people act the same for local as they do for P & R buses. They line up and the NWTC to get on and when you get to the NWTC it is a wait your turn to get off.

"slug"s :

- Although Metro does not seem to interfere with the practice, I don't think they are happy about it. I would also say it has less to do with crowded buses and more with people saving a couple of bucks. I have seen where the bus in the morning is not close to being full but people still line up for a free ride. Also, the last two P & R lots have setup where you use the Q-Card to park for free otherwise it cost to park. I wonder if this is how they are looking to stop it. Right now it only verifies that you have money on the Q-Card but I could see them deducting from the Q to park and then the bus becomes a transfer.

On different points :

"slug"s :

- Although Metro does not seem to interfere with the practice, I don't think they are happy about it. I would also say it has less to do with crowded buses and more with people saving a couple of bucks. I have seen where the bus in the morning is not close to being full but people still line up for a free ride. Also, the last two P & R lots have setup where you use the Q-Card to park for free otherwise it cost to park. I wonder if this is how they are looking to stop it. Right now it only verifies that you have money on the Q-Card but I could see them deducting from the Q to park and then the bus becomes a transfer.

I dunno if they do it to save money. My coworkers get free bus passes and still ride as slugs.

Is being a slug unique to Houston? I have to think it is but don't know for sure.

I dunno if they do it to save money. My coworkers get free bus passes and still ride as slugs.

Is being a slug unique to Houston? I have to think it is but don't know for sure.

From what I understand, Houston was a little behind when it came to slugging. Other cities have been doing it for several years before it became common here.

Another thing I noticed related to the politeness of Houston transit riders (and I don't know if this is common elsewhere) but when people get off the bus most tell the driver "Thank You". It probably annoys the driver after the 20th person says it.

The best use of slugging was on the HBO show "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Where the guy was late for a Dodger game and picks up a hooker so that he can drive in the carpool lane. That was also the show where a guy that was accused of murder was able to show that he was in the background and was set free.

Another thing I noticed related to the politeness of Houston transit riders (and I don't know if this is common elsewhere) but when people get off the bus most tell the driver "Thank You". It probably annoys the driver after the 20th person says it.

Well I notice on my bus rides home in San Francisco most people usually say when there is hardly anyone on the bus. Usually it's a "Thanks and enjoy your night."

I'd love to hear some Slugging horror stories. There has to be some out there.

Only one I have heard is my coworker getting into a car and the guy drove like a bat out of hell.

I'm curious about the role of race in slugging. I've heard that black people have trouble getting cabs. Is the same true in slugging? Do drivers of one race tend to pick up slugs of the same race?

On an interesting side note, I've ran into a number of people from out of town that find it curious that the professionals actually LINE UP to get on the bus, I guess this is not a common practice in other cities.

I'm sure yall have seen this in foreign countries as well, but when I tried ordering at Goody's in Greece, there were zero lines. People just crowded around the counter. It made a lot of sense :blink:

Sorry to get off subject

I only slugged once. But the lady grabbed me in the parking lot. She said she "normally did not pick up men" but she was in a hurry.

That's the only way you slug at Eastex. There is no Slug line, but you are only 14 miles from downtown. Even the buses are not that full. Yet.

lol.

I must say, this P&R culture is very interesting to read. Keep it coming!

I'd also like to hear more about this 'slugging.' How do you know who's going where? What are the conversations in the car like? (EDIT: memebag's link gave a great explanation. Although I think it's weird how there's not really any conversation.)

Well, on the west side, there are stands at the P&R's for "slugs" (I forgot what it says) and people are lined up and the cars follow a route TO the line.

You roll up, say your destination (downtown, Galleria, Medical center) and people hop in.

The conversation depends on the personalities involved. Sometimes its rather friendly, sometimes its like you're all just riding along with strangers. Believe it or not, I get a client or two this way when the topic comes up. :D

Well, on the west side, there are stands at the P&R's for "slugs" (I forgot what it says) and people are lined up and the cars follow a route TO the line.

You roll up, say your destination (downtown, Galleria, Medical center) and people hop in.

The conversation depends on the personalities involved. Sometimes its rather friendly, sometimes its like you're all just riding along with strangers. Believe it or not, I get a client or two this way when the topic comes up. :D

Thanks, what's the topic/job? May I?

Has anyone witnessed a scene where an attractive person asks for a slug and a bunch of people jump at the door? I wonder if people are more hesitant to join a driver who's less attractive or for any other reason?

Massages?

lol

Has anyone witnessed a scene where an attractive person asks for a slug and a bunch of people jump at the door? I wonder if people are more hesitant to join a driver who's less attractive or for any other reason?

I don't know about the attractive people, but I know some hestitated with me (I guess I'm not that attractive enough).

The conversation (if any) kinda' depends on what magazine is in the backseat or on the radio (usually CNN on XM) and I usually get asked about the XM.

I joke of course.

Do you?

Actually it IS a great way to meet ladies, but for their safety and yours, I always pick up at least 2 other passangers. So there is an automatic rooster block on that. But I AM sharp enough to hand out my business cards if they seem remotely interested in me or my business.

Going a bit off the slug topic here, but a co-worker of mine told me that a few weeks ago, somebody on the bus farted and he tried to hold his breath as long as he could. He couldn't tell who it was behind him, so he started to look around with a sniff. What he didn't realize was that the other passengers thought he had done it by looking around. Also, he mentioned sometimes he would sit near people who took up more seat space than usual or placed handbags, backup, etc. on their laps. It was annoying according to him.

Going a bit off the slug topic here, but a co-worker of mine told me that a few weeks ago, somebody on the bus farted and he tried to hold his breath as long as he could. He couldn't tell who it was behind him, so he started to look around with a sniff. What he didn't realize was that the other passengers thought he had done it by looking around.

This reminds me of a recent experience I had somewhere over southern Mississippi not but five weeks ago. Long story short--don't fart in the cabin of a small jet at 30,000 feet during the middle of a flight. Especially if you've had french onion soup. And if you do, prepare to have everyone on board tremendously pissed off at you.

Air in a plane isn't vented like it is in a car.

...and for the record, it wasn't me.

Going a bit off the slug topic here, but a co-worker of mine told me that a few weeks ago, somebody on the bus farted and he tried to hold his breath as long as he could. He couldn't tell who it was behind him, so he started to look around with a sniff. What he didn't realize was that the other passengers thought he had done it by looking around. Also, he mentioned sometimes he would sit near people who took up more seat space than usual or placed handbags, backup, etc. on their laps. It was annoying according to him.

A friend of mine wants to know what's the deal with airline food.

Going a bit off the slug topic here, but a co-worker of mine told me that a few weeks ago, somebody on the bus farted and he tried to hold his breath as long as he could. He couldn't tell who it was behind him, so he started to look around with a sniff. What he didn't realize was that the other passengers thought he had done it by looking around.

All I can say is remember the rule "Those who smelt it, own it."

Or something like that

Archived