Opus West Corp: 80-Acres Of Office Development

ricco67

Sarnoff's Link

Outside downtown and The Woodlands, the Katy Freeway/Energy Corridor office market has some of the highest rents in the city, at $24.21 per square foot, according to data from Studley. The brokerage firm pegs the area's vacancy rate for its best buildings at 5.5 percent. That compares with 17 percent five years ago.

The company broke ground last week on the first phase of Energy Crossing, a six-story office building near the southwest corner of I-10 and Texas 6.

It eventually plans to build a twin to the 240,000-square-foot building, though no tenants have been found for either building.

I figured it was far along enough that it will deserve its own thread.

• 4 years later...

The first building and garage was completed several years ago, and it sounds like the second may be on the way, if the blurb from this November 2011 HBJ piece is to be believed.

By the end of December, 1 million square feet of office space will have been absorbed this year in the Energy Corridor, and Class A vacancy will dip to 5 percent, said Kevin Wyatt, senior vice president of marketing for Dallas-based Lincoln.

Armed with statistics like that, Lincoln and its unnamed state pension fund partner are spending $1.3 million to design Energy Crossing II — a 10-story, 400,000-square-foot building at the southwest corner of I-10 and State Highway 6. Owen McCrory with Dallas-based architecture firm HKS Inc. HKS Inc. Latest from The Business Journals HKS's Hawkins, AT&T's Reed appointed to arts boardBillingsley Co. buys Dallas office buildingOrlando Health announces 7M expansion Follow this company will have the final plans done in February, Wyatt said.

The developer hopes to break ground on the $88 million building in early 2012.

It will be built next to the existing six-story, 400,000-square-foot Energy Crossing I, which Wyatt said is 80 percent leased now and will be 100 percent leased by year-end.

“We are proceeding fast and furiously on plans for the second building,” said Wyatt. “We are actively preleasing that building. We’re writing proposals and discussing deals with different prospects.”

• The title was changed to Opus West Corp: 80-Acres Of Office Development

Archived