Camden Travis: Multifamily At 2700 Travis St.

roadrunner

They're constructing the parking garage first before wrapping wood-framed apartment units around it. This is very common.

Good, that will give them somewhere to park during the rest of construction and they can get their cars off Travis. I think one of the Camden Midtown properties is built this way and the other one has parking on the north end.

The construction workers need to get their parked cars off Travis in the morning during rush. A tow truck was running off with one of the cars this morning. That'll teach them. Read the signs!

I haven't paid that much attention to the construction as I zip by, but I do recall a lone concrete stucture in the middle of the property that looks like the ramp to a parking garage. It struck me as odd. I'll pay better attention in the morning.

Prolly one of them modular sort of buildings.

They're constructing the parking garage first before wrapping wood-framed apartment units around it. This is very common.

I got a better look this morning. Even though the actual parking structure is positioned on the south side of the property, access to it will be permitted from within the complex. I guess this helps keep the hoodlums out. They have poured some of the slabs for the apartment buildings. Just in passing, it was my impression that they are not at a very high elevation. Is this area prone to flood. Oh, wait, where am I. Nevermind.

Are there going to be any retail developments to accompany this? I was just up in Dallas this weekend, and as I drove around (mostly in the uptown and Oak Lawn areas) two names seemed all-too familiar... Camden and Post. LOL it was like Camdenville right next to Post City!

But what I really love about the uptown area is the systematic integration of street-level retail. No big surprises (i.e. random surface parking lots, swaths of un-kept and run-down development), simple predictable city blocks. I would never want to trade Houston's randomness, but as we continue to revive the city's urban feel, we must build sustainably.

Are there going to be any retail developments to accompany this?

Nope... no retail. I have a feeling this project will be boringly similar to Camden Midtown. But still, it will keep adding to Midtown's developing "neighborhood" feel... albeit, judging from the recent spat of break-ins at the Calais, a relatively crime-ridden neighborhood.

Nope... no retail. I have a feeling this project will be boringly similar to Camden Midtown. But still, it will keep adding to Midtown's developing "neighborhood" feel... albeit, judging from the recent spat of break-ins at the Calais, a relatively crime-ridden neighborhood.

Camden Midtown is over ten years old. This one will be newer, shinier, taller, more expensive boring stuff.

Camden Midtown is over ten years old. This one will be newer, shinier, taller, more expensive boring stuff.

Is this the same one as the Ziegler Cooper rendering I posted a few months back?

I'm not absolutely positively 100% sure, but think that Camden Travis and Camden's superblock are different projects.

I'd guess that would be the case. Half of the undeveloped block across from Camden Travis (which may or may not be the Superblock project someday) that started with the one trailer now has been completely cleared out and filled in with more trailers and equipment and the fence has been blacked out. I'm guessing it's the staging area for the Travis project for the forseeable future.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ran into this rendering while poking around the Chron archives:

226xRefer.jpg

It just MAY have SOME retail or something at the base perhaps; either that, or this is just the rendering for the leasing office/complex gym/etc. The design is....typical of what's been going up around Midtown; not exceptional, but somewhat tolerable.

Link to story where render was found: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/5546743.html

Saaay, any word on the Post Midtown expansion? Wasn't that already underway, or has that been mothballed for a while?

Edited by UrbaNerd

Ran into this rendering while poking around the Chron archives:

226xRefer.jpg

It just MAY have SOME retail or something at the base perhaps; either that, or this is just the rendering for the leasing office/complex gym/etc. The design is....typical of what's been going up around Midtown; not exceptional, but somewhat tolerable.

Link to story where render was found: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/5546743.html

Saaay, any word on the Post Midtown expansion? Wasn't that already underway, or has that been mothballed for a while?

I'm getting a red X here and at the link. Is anyone else?

Where would Phase III be located?

On the vacant land immediately east of where W. Gray converges with the one-way Gray and Webster streets. Post was also trying to get the City of Houston to abandon the O'Neil Street ROW in that area so that their parcels would be more useful, but was running up against some opposition from the local city councilwoman.