Camden Travis: Multifamily At 2700 Travis St.

roadrunner

I've never seen that. Maybe I don't go at the right time, or I don't go to the right part of Bellaire Chinatown though. I've seen people parking their cars and walking to the mall entrances, but I've never seen anyone walking on the sidewalks between shopping centers though.
Try Ranchester at Bellaire. This is where I see the most foot traffic. I see a lot of Asian bus traffic in this area too.
I would say Post Midtown Square is more similar to pre-WW2 development in other cities than Rice Village or even Montrose, although its incredibly small. And parts of Downtown (Main Street Square / Preston Station ares) as well.
I can agree with that. The thing is that Rice Village and Montrose are the only two organic areas that have seemed to thrive and survive.

I would love to see Midtown create a synthetic urban environment that would do the same. I guess I'm just a doubting-Thomas.

Edited by Jeebus

• 3 months later...

I THINK this is the right thread for this, but the block has closed off the tuam street (or whatever it was) and is in the process of fencing off the entire property.

Parking for Escobar, Whiskey Creek, Bond, and other places is going to turn into a nightmare.

I THINK this is the right thread for this, but the block has closed off the tuam street (or whatever it was) and is in the process of fencing off the entire property.

Parking for Escobar, Whiskey Creek, Bond, and other places is going to turn into a nightmare.

i can't wait til they demolish that building. i don't care if its the first strip center ever.

So this and the McGowen superblock are fenced off now?

It's hard to believe that Camden will go forward with both of these at the same time. I'm guessing the superblock stays fenced off for a long while.

However, if Camden does in fact start construction on both of these soon that would put a huge dent in Midtown blight.

This also seems like it would be a good time to gobble up one of those other abandoned blocks and put up a multi level parking garage with street level retail just for nightlife traffic.

Whoever throws up a garage first is going to make a mint. The thing is that it will have to be a substantial garage that will HAVE to have ground level retail. In fact, I wonder if HCC allows people to to use its garage.

I'm talking about NW-W Midtown where the majority of restaurants and bars are.

While there are a number of bars and clubs over in that section (Tail gate, Front Porch, Komodo, BW3, that bar behind BW3), over at Central Midtown, you have Bond, Whiskey Creek, Escobar, and The Reef. If you go by there on saturday nights, you will see how PACKED it is.

Move a little to the west, and you have Open City, Doghouse Tavern, La Patio, Red door, BRB, and some new bar that opened recently that I don't know the name of.

Pub Fiction and Howl are kinda' isolated where they currently are, but the parking is still horrid and wrecker drivers are having a field day there. Driving in Midtown on the western side is a total nightmare on weekend nights.

and HCC's is two blocks from the superblock.

My comment regards more the Camden Travis site that is currently used for parking at night than the superblock that just sits empty all day and night. With the influx of residents, I'm sure even more bars and clubs will follow into Midtown which will make parking even more of a nightmare.

My comment regards more the Camden Travis site that is currently used for parking at night than the superblock that just sits empty all day and night. With the influx of residents, I'm sure even more bars and clubs will follow into Midtown which will make parking even more of a nightmare.

I don't think that's going to happen unless they can engineer segregated parking. The Residents would take priority and I'm sure they would be fairly miffed if they found their cars dented by some drunk coming from a bar.

when they build a parking garage - you guys complain and when they don't you guys complain. nothing seems to satisfy you haifers.

Not sure who 'we haifers' are, because no two people seem to agree on development in Midtown.

The point that some people are trying to make is that we don't want more parking lots, or parking garages. Maybe people ought to live within walking, biking or public transit distance of their entertainment. Midtown is among the few places in Houston which holds that potential.

Fans of surface parking and parking garages already have plenty of options in Houston.

Not sure who 'we haifers' are, because no two people seem to agree on development in Midtown.

The point that some people are trying to make is that we don't want more parking lots, or parking garages. Maybe people ought to live within walking, biking or public transit distance of their entertainment. Midtown is among the few places in Houston which holds that potential.

Fans of surface parking and parking garages already have plenty of options in Houston.

Provisions for parking by non-residents are of absolute necessity to create a vibrant urban environment.

At a certain point, a lack of parking basically causes investors and lenders in new development to fizzle away. It can be a crimson red flag for a deal. The Kirby Lofts are a well-known case in point, but its even more important for retail.

Provisions for parking by non-residents are of absolute necessity to create a vibrant urban environment.

At a certain point, a lack of parking basically causes investors and lenders in new development to fizzle away. It can be a crimson red flag for a deal. The Kirby Lofts are a well-known case in point, but its even more important for retail.

Exactly. Where would I park if I wanted to eat at the New York Pizzeria in Post Midtown? In the full CVS parking lot? They did it tastefully, to hide it from the street, and created an open plaza in the middle of the building.

Exactly. Where would I park if I wanted to eat at the New York Pizzeria in Post Midtown? In the full CVS parking lot? They did it tastefully, to hide it from the street, and created an open plaza in the middle of the building.

It's not a must to have front row parking. Parking a few blocks away and walking is always an option.

Walking a few Blocks in Houston (during the summer) makes my pits look like those "clinical strength" commercials before they use it.

Really? Just a few blocks? I guess you'll have to stay away from all these urban projects like BLVD Place, West Ave., Oaks District, City Center, HP and DG. That stinks.

I lived in NYC. Trust me, it gets so hot and muggy there you wouldn't believe it. At least we have the relief of good A/C once you reach your destination in Houston.

Right? I told a friend I wanted to visit NYC this summer and she told me not to b/c it's hot. I was like, pulease.

Some places don't have A/C?