Camden Travis: Multifamily At 2700 Travis St.

roadrunner

Cool shots, midtownuser. I was out there yesterday walking from the 82 bus to the rail (yes, folks, walking) but my camera batteries were dead.

The vacantness around there does indeed send a mixed signal about Midtown but I really think of the whole place as a work in progress. The question is what to do with all that space.

I figure you can fit three or four CVS there. :lol:

I was in the area a few hours ago (hmm......late nite pie!) and saw the demo going on (well, the demo that was happening earlier) and I think this isn't merely a demo and leave. The fencing look a bit permanent, I mean full fledged gates on a couple of the entrances.

Thanks!

Yeah, I was happy to see this eyesore go away. An empty lot looks better and feels safer than a building where the homeless used for shelter.

It's a shame the owners let it come to that. It wasn't too long ago that that place was bustling. All the pho and vietnamese laser discs you could ask for.

As an aside to the days when "Midtown" was "Little Saigon," and I'm not talking about the part of "Midtown" that used to be the Fourth Ward or "Freedman's Town," does anyone recall the freakout about the street signs being in Vienamese? Proper names like Travis and Fannin wouldn't seem to be something that you could translate, so they gave them other names in Vietnamese. And it couldn't have been more than a couple years after that that the place began its decline. Looking at midtown now, it's almost unfathomable to think what it was like a dozen years ago. I miss the pho and Hoa Binh market. It was easier than driving out to Bellaire. Oh well. Hopefully they'll go forward with their plans.

I was in the area a few hours ago (hmm......late nite pie!)

Sorry to get off topic (and only for a minute, I promise) but how was Late Nite Pie's new location? Was parking better?

Back on topic, I really hope they make good use out of this very promising piece of real estate! No more CVS!

Edited by jayshoota

Sorry to get off topic (and only for a minute, I promise) but how was Late Nite Pie's new location? Was parking better?

Back on topic, I really hope they make good use out of this very promising piece of real estate! No more CVS!

[Hijack]

I talked to a guy there and they the new location seems popular with the people in the immediate area, the people at the Calais and maple leaf are whining, though.

There is more room and now own that parking lot next door. There seems to be a potential conflict with the parking, though. Turns out HUE uses the parking lot (they used to own it) for valet. LNP is OKing it for now, but once the lot is full and the patrons can't park in there, they're going to pull the plug on them.

Oh....and they have golden tee!

[/hijack]

edit: general stupidity

Edited by ricco67

It's a shame the owners let it come to that. It wasn't too long ago that that place was bustling. All the pho and vietnamese laser discs you could ask for.

As an aside to the days when "Midtown" was "Little Saigon," and I'm not talking about the part of "Midtown" that used to be the Fourth Ward or "Freedman's Town," does anyone recall the freakout about the street signs being in Vienamese? Proper names like Travis and Fannin wouldn't seem to be something that you could translate, so they gave them other names in Vietnamese. And it couldn't have been more than a couple years after that that the place began its decline. Looking at midtown now, it's almost unfathomable to think what it was like a dozen years ago. I miss the pho and Hoa Binh market. It was easier than driving out to Bellaire. Oh well. Hopefully they'll go forward with their plans.

The Vietnamese street signs were such a silly idea. I always thought that was a GHCVB-type tourism gimmick. You know, "Oh look! We have an ethnic neighborhood!"

Speaking of walking in the summer, I was pleasantly surprised how many people walk in Israel. It's just as hot as here, it not hotter. While it's dryer in some parts of the country, it is nearly as humid in places on the Mediterranean like Tel Aviv. The cities are just designed for walking. Even Hassidic Jewish dudes with big furry hats walk around in the hot sun!

Speaking of walking in the summer, I was pleasantly surprised how many people walk in Israel. It's just as hot as here, it not hotter. While it's dryer in some parts of the country, it is nearly as humid in places on the Mediterranean like Tel Aviv. The cities are just designed for walking. Even Hassidic Jewish dudes with big furry hats walk around in the hot sun!

People in Houston just need to suck it up. It's bad, but not that bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Camden Property Trust (713-354-2500) is developing Camden Travis (18083), a four-story 253-unit Class A complex located at 2830 Travis in Midtown (493T). Proposed unit rental rates will be competitive with those in the area with a current range of $1.40 to $1.60 per square foot. Construction is expected to begin in the third quarter of 2008.

http://www.poconnor.com/market_research/ho...bruary2008.html

Does demolition usually constitute as construction?

Edited by lockmat

Camden Property Trust (713-354-2500) is developing Camden Travis (18083), a four-story 253-unit Class A complex located at 2830 Travis in Midtown (493T). Proposed unit rental rates will be competitive with those in the area with a current range of $1.40 to $1.60 per square foot. Construction is expected to begin in the third quarter of 2008.

http://www.poconnor.com/market_research/ho...bruary2008.html

Does demolition usually constitute as construction?

really would like to have seen them add a retail component to this... i cant see any reason why they wouldn't.

• 3 weeks later...
Just came across this picture of the South End store from 1926 - the headline: "Houston Boasts the Largest Retail Grocery Establishment in the World"

alas

henkepillotsouthend_may1926_houston_crop.jpg

Pretty awesome find sevfiv. Gotta love all those Model T's... the car that put America on wheels, as they say.

Just came across this picture of the South End store from 1926 - the headline: "Houston Boasts the Largest Retail Grocery Establishment in the World"

How funny, that eighty years later the (allegedly) Largest Liquor Store in the World is only a few blocks away.

That's what I call progress.

• 1 month later...
I'm a homeowner in this part of town nowadays.. hopefully I'll stay here long enough to realize any gains from these big apartment buildings being laid down on the superblocks.

Last week I saw several tractors on the site moving dirt around. And there was a taco truck there, which means there must be a significant amount of workers there. Hopefully within the next month we will see an actual groundbreaking.

• 3 weeks later...
Lots of construction activity today:

post-5184-1222713575_thumb.jpg

Here's the trailer across the street on the superblock where construction is being staged:

post-5184-1222713610_thumb.jpg

Woooooo!!!!! Thanks for the pictures. I might have to walk over there after work. I can't wait to see this area start filling up.

BTW, looks like you work in the HCC building. Any chance your company is hiring programmers/web developers? I've been wanting to work somewhere that I can walk to instead of driving to!

• 1 month later...

Figured this thread needed a bump.

The south end of the project has already reached approximately four stories, yet hasn't risen at all on the rest of the site; seems like a different way of constructing a building than is usually done.

Figured this thread needed a bump.

The south end of the project has already reached approximately four stories, yet hasn't risen at all on the rest of the site; seems like a different way of constructing a building than is usually done.

If you can get me a photo of the site and the partially-completed construction, I can probably tell you what's going on.

The construction workers need to get their parked cars off Travis in the morning during rush. A tow truck was running off with one of the cars this morning. That'll teach them. Read the signs!

I haven't paid that much attention to the construction as I zip by, but I do recall a lone concrete stucture in the middle of the property that looks like the ramp to a parking garage. It struck me as odd. I'll pay better attention in the morning.

I do recall a lone concrete stucture in the middle of the property that looks like the ramp to a parking garage. It struck me as odd. I'll pay better attention in the morning.

They're constructing the parking garage first before wrapping wood-framed apartment units around it. This is very common.