Camden Travis: Multifamily At 2700 Travis St.

roadrunner

It's hot here, and "no one" walks anywhere (except crazy people who like hotness).

Heat isn't going to stop people from walking. Look at all the people walking in Miami and LA! It's attitudes like this that keep Houston from becoming more of a urban city. What's the point of building these dense/urban projects if there going to have parking spots and parking garages...

Their pointless if Houston dosen't get its act together on the whole public transportation issue.

Heat isn't going to stop people from walking. Look at all the people walking in Miami and LA! It's attitudes like this that keep Houston from becoming more of a urban city. What's the point of building these dense/urban projects if there going to have parking spots and parking garages...

how is building a few projects going to make already built out areas more dense? i.e. cars will be required for most.

Swamplot today is running the demo permit for the strip mall. I think I saw a tractor on the site today, too.

Demolition just started. I'm watching it through my window in the HCC building. It'll probably be a pile of rubble by the time I get back from lunch.

As for the comment on the "failed" attempt at retail space in the ground level of the HCC garage, it may not have worked as retail but HCC is making a killing leasing it to St. Luke's hospital as a large call center.

how is building a few projects going to make already built out areas more dense? i.e. cars will be required for most.

You just repeated what I said. I stated what was the point of building these places if there going to have parking space/garages. Then I commented on the need to expand rail.

You just repeated what I said. I stated what was the point of building these places if there going to have parking space/garages. Then I commented on the need to expand rail.
no...i'm wondering how NOT building parking spaces/garages is going to suddenly make people leave their cars? i know you want houston to be "more of an urban city" and not building parking spaces/garages is going to accomplish this?

It's hot here, and "no one" walks anywhere (except crazy people who like hotness).

Lazy people make me :lol: .

Gas prices go up -> Houstonians drive less -> Houstononians walk more -> Houstonians lose weight -> Houston stops winning "Fattest City" awards.

Yay!

no...i'm wondering how NOT building parking spaces/garages is going to suddenly make people leave their cars? i know you want houston to be "more of an urban city" and not building parking spaces/garages is going to accomplish this?

I'm not saying don't build them, I'm just saying their not exactly urban with parking spaces. Houston really needs to expand rail if they want people out walking more.

I'm not saying don't build them, I'm just saying their not exactly urban with parking spaces. Houston really needs to expand rail if they want people out walking more.

so rail results in walking MORE? is THAT what this is all about? we're building rail so people will walk more? :blink:

so rail results in walking MORE? is THAT what this is all about? we're building rail so people will walk more? :blink:

I usually see more people walking around the rail stations than anywhere else so....yeah, he just might be on to something.

yep that's how it is around bus stops too. ;)

You know, I've been taking Metro a lot more often lately and finding a lot more people who I know aren't homeless riding. Maybe this $4/gallon business has something to do with it. It's not just for the poor and homeless anymore. Driving makes you poor now.

So - supposing we're transitioning into a new norm where transit is a little more "mainstream" here - can you can explain to me how the expansion of transit (i.e. rail) is not going to cause more pedestrian traffic?

You know, I've been taking Metro a lot more often lately and finding a lot more people who I know aren't homeless riding. Maybe this $4/gallon business has something to do with it. It's not just for the poor and homeless anymore. Driving makes you poor now.

So - supposing we're transitioning into a new norm where transit is a little more "mainstream" here - can you can explain to me how the expansion of transit (i.e. rail) is not going to cause more pedestrian traffic?

He can't and won't.

Do you even know what your talking about? The whole point of rail is to encourage more walkable areas and also provide public transportation. Building Urban areas such as these are great but people will just drive to them and once finished; get back in their automobiles and go on with life.

utilizing ANY transit is going to require people to walk, including buses. There are more cost effective ways to accomplish your proposal.

Do you even know what your talking about? The whole point of rail is to encourage more walkable areas and also provide public transportation.
rail is a means of transportation, it has nothing to do with providing more walkable areas. that is independent of rail.
Building Urban areas such as these are great but people will just drive to them and once finished; get back in their automobiles and go on with life.
and many of these "urban areas" are located in high traffic areas already. are businesses going to limit access to possible consumers just because they are in a car? it is all about maximizing exposure to as many consumers as possible.

From a construction management perspective, is today's demolition a really good sign of this project taking off?.............or are we just as likely to see a vacant lot for a few more years?

Good question.

Another long-term vacant block, especially considering its proximity to the superblock, sends a mixed message about Midtown; why all these huge empty lots if it's such a 'happening' place?

If they're not going to start building within a reasonable time, I would rather they'd just let the existing building stand. An acceptable alternative would be to plant both blocks to prairie grasses and pasture a few longhorns on 'em.

Good question.

Another long-term vacant block, especially considering its proximity to the superblock, sends a mixed message about Midtown; why all these huge empty lots if it's such a 'happening' place?

If they're not going to start building within a reasonable time, I would rather they'd just let the existing building stand. An acceptable alternative would be to plant both blocks to prairie grasses and pasture a few longhorns on 'em.

Don't forget a skybridge so that the Longhorns can cross the street without going outside in the awful sunshine.

Cool shots, midtownuser. I was out there yesterday walking from the 82 bus to the rail (yes, folks, walking) but my camera batteries were dead.

The vacantness around there does indeed send a mixed signal about Midtown but I really think of the whole place as a work in progress. The question is what to do with all that space.

I figure you can fit three or four CVS there. :lol: