88 members have voted

1. 1. Which Supermarker is Better?

• Walmart Supercenter
    • SuperTarget
    • H-E-B
    • Kroger
    • Randalls
    • Fiesta

Yes, I agree that Wal Mart is not a good place to work at, cause I have a sister that works there and she's complaining about the benefits they have is horrible. But you to admit it that Wal Mart stays crowed 24-7, I know the one in humble do. I went to humble Wal Mart one morning around 1 am, and that place was packed. Super Target will never see that type of crowed, at lease they turn into a 24 hr store, and i doubt that.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are you talking about. The two Walmarts in Katy has their parking lots full to the max. It dies down around 10:30-11:00 but it is still crowded then. There are undisciplined kids in every store, not just Walmart. Target, Randalls, H-E-B, Kroger, all kinds of stores you see bad children, so just don't say Walmart. Walmart isn't that bad at all.

Sorry, you're wrong.

How's that for some Michael Moore "logic"?

And now you have no idea where i stand.

I'm sure they're both great American companies, but I have noticed a different "feel" from both Target and Wal-Mart. There are two Targets by me, and two Wal-Marts, so I'm speaking of course from limited experience. Wal-mart feels cold, impersonal and indifferent to your presence there. The employees are not like the ones shown on television, they're not happy at all. When I'm going through the check-out, I try to ask if the cashier is having a good day. I always get an earful of discontent from Wal-Mart employees. They are NOT happy campers! Target employees seem happier, more content and seem to take a little more pride of ownership in the place where they work. Since the product offerings are pretty similar (I even like the food section better at Target!) I choose to shop at Target. I also prefer to shop at Lowes's over Home Depot for the same reasons. Both Lowes's and Target seem to care that you are there and appreciate it, while I get the feeling from Home Depot and Wal-Mart that they could care less if you were there or not. All things being equal, the little extra effort exerted towards customer care and appreciation puts Target and Lowe's over the top. :)

It's all realative.

All those stores are inconsistent at best.

WM on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3620956.stm

Mr Scott also rebuffed claims that the low prices offered to Wal-Mart's customers come at the expense of inadequate wages for its employees.

"We hire people at what we believe are competitive rates, actually higher rates than what the competition has," he said.

"Many of these jobs are in fact jobs that are people's entry into the workforce. Somebody who's unskilled, they have to go somewhere to learn how to work."

I think Target is more known for offering a little higher quality specialty and decorative items than Wal-Mart. That's why they are still around. Remember K-Mart tried to be Wal-Mart and filed for bankruptcy. There's a hard comparison to make between the two.

• 2 months later...
I'm sure they're both great American companies, but I have noticed a different "feel" from both Target and Wal-Mart. There are two Targets by me, and two Wal-Marts, so I'm speaking of course from limited experience. Wal-mart feels cold, impersonal and indifferent to your presence there. The employees are not like the ones shown on television, they're not happy at all. When I'm going through the check-out, I try to ask if the cashier is having a good day. I always get an earful of discontent from Wal-Mart employees. They are NOT happy campers! Target employees seem happier, more content and seem to take a little more pride of ownership in the place where they work. Since the product offerings are pretty similar (I even like the food section better at Target!) I choose to shop at Target. I also prefer to shop at Lowes's over Home Depot for the same reasons. Both Lowes's and Target seem to care that you are there and appreciate it, while I get the feeling from Home Depot and Wal-Mart that they could care less if you were there or not. All things being equal, the little extra effort exerted towards customer care and appreciation puts Target and Lowe's over the top. :)

Color pyschology would tell ya that Red (in Target) is more for love and passion (depending on color) and blue is for depression (in Walmart)

here I looked it up:

The color of the sky and the ocean, blue is one of the most popular colors. It causes the opposite reaction as red. Peaceful, tranquil blue causes the body to produce calming chemicals, so it is often used in bedrooms. Blue can also be cold and depressing. Fashion consultants recommend wearing blue to job interviews because it symbolizes loyalty. People are more productive in blue rooms. Studies show weightlifters are able to handle heavier weights in blue gyms.

(Walmart)

The most emotionally intense color, red stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. It is also the color of love. Red clothing gets noticed and makes the wearer appear heavier. Since it is an extreme color, red clothing might not help people in negotiations or confrontations. Red cars are popular targets for thieves. In decorating, red is usually used as an accent. Decorators say that red furniture should be perfect since it will attract attention.

The most romantic color, pink, is more tranquilizing. Sports teams sometimes paint the locker rooms used by opposing teams bright pink so their opponents will lose energy

(Target)

Maybe color psych has something to do with it, but I think it's also an issue that Target bothers to clean their stores and keep merchandise straight and organized and looking good on the shelves. Most Wal-Mart stores could really care less. I also think Target does a much better job in hiring qualified people and training them well. Their employees are generally nicer, more efficient, and more knowledgeable. You don't see Target getting sued several times a year for their hiring and promotion practices either like Wal-Mart does.

True enough, plus the color psychology argument holds no water because Lowe's (which is blue, just like a Wal-mart) is hands-down better at what they do than the friendly color store Home Depot. As far as Wal-mart goes, sticking an elderly person at the door as a greeter to create that "feel-good" feeling about Wal-mart dissipates rapidly as you wander through the cavernous, cold, impersonal place filled with unhappy people; customers and "associates" alike. Target, for whatever reasons, seems to have happier and more helpful employees. However, I do think Target has made a strategic, tactical error by deciding against the Salvation Army bell-ringers that are welcome at Wal-mart, and no how they try to spin it ("oh, we did it because other groups were approaching us, and we can't accomodate everyone, blah, blah, blah"), it still gives Target a black eye for a stupid move.

True enough, plus the color psychology argument holds no water because Lowe's (which is blue, just like a Wal-mart) is hands-down better at what they do than the friendly color store Home Depot. As far as Wal-mart goes, sticking an elderly person at the door as a greeter to create that "feel-good" feeling about Wal-mart dissipates rapidly as you wander through the cavernous, cold, impersonal place filled with unhappy people; customers and "associates" alike.

Those old people at the front door aren't just there to make you feel good about shopping there. Their primary purpose is to aid in security. And I doubt any of those people really want to be there. They're there because they need the money. Why else would a 70 year old want to have a job that requires standing in one place for hours to get a minimum wage paycheck? I can't imagine that those people are there because they have nothing better to do with their time and really want to stand there.

Good comparison with Home Depot versus Lowe's. I couldn't agree with you more on that one.

I did not mean to impune the elderly working there at Wal-mart. I had meant that Wal-mart uses those people as "feel-good" technique; i.e. nice person smiling at you and offering you a cart, which does not make up for the deficiencies found in the store once you get past the "greeter". I do feel bad that we have elderly people who have to work there in order to continue to live, I do not however feel Wal-mart is the savior to these people or any others that work there. Their commercials about how their longtime employees have moved up through the ranks and love Wal-mart is "humanitarianism" we've seen like few others.

Another difference between Walmart and Target: Target has lower, wider aisles and brighter lighting which gives it a more comfortable feel. Walmart's aisles are very high and narrow, giving you a feeling of being trapped in a maze. Also, the lights are dimmer in Walmart which gives it more of a dingy feel. And, yes, the customer service in Walmart can't compare to Target's.

I think, for some people anyway, physical environment has alot to do with their moods. Imagine having to spend 8+ hours a day in a Walmart. Shudder.

Target is go damn high for one. nobody will never beat out wal mart prices. wal mart always stay packed. they building wal mart distubtion center near the port of houston in baytown. This will be the biggest center walmart has in teh u.s. target dont even have to qaulity walmart, not even near it. so please this is a really stupid thread. super target vs. super walmart? don't make me laugh. target is going to be the next one to close its doors.

Target is go damn high for one. nobody will never beat out wal mart prices. wal mart always stay packed. they building wal mart distubtion center near the port of houston in baytown. This will be the biggest center walmart has in teh u.s. target dont even have to qaulity walmart, not even near it. so please this is a really stupid thread. super target vs. super walmart? don't make me laugh. target is going to be the next one to close its doors.

houstonsemipro, I worked in retail management before I moved to Houston for a number of years. I can assure you that Wal-Mart is not the cheapest game in town on many of the items it sells. They want you to think they are so they can keep packing people in. And on many items they are the cheapest, but usually not by much. And for every item they sell at or below cost, there are two or three items they mark up more than other retailers to make up the difference. There are some items that Wal-Mart sells at markups that are so high they would make you cringe if you knew how much profit they were getting out of you. I'll warn everyone on here -- never shop in the hardware department at Wal-Mart. Other than paint (and their paint is crap) and power tools (nobody makes a profit on these), you're getting screwed on price without knowing it on 95% of the merchandise in their hardware department. I've seen toilet parts that wholesale for less than a dollar that would sell for $1.00-1.50 at an Ace or True Value store going for $3.50-4.00 in Wal-Mart. Right behind that is the Wal-Mart housewares department, where many items are sold at great prices, but are still marked up 300-400%. They can do this because the deplorable quality of the items makes them extremely inexpensive for Wal-Mart to purchase.

Anyway, price is just one factor when people choose where to shop. I may end up spending $50-100 more a year shopping at Target, Randall's, and Rice Epicurean instead of a Wal-Mart Super Center. But my time and stress level are important. I have never waited in line for more than 10 minutes in Target. I have never had an employee be rude to me in Target. And I've never had to deal with hundreds of small children running around in Target. I'll gladly pay 20 cents more for a bottle of shampoo to drive to a nicer store that's closer to where I live where the employees are actually friendly and the store is clean. Many other people feel the same way. So many that Target is a very profitable company. If you think they're about to go under, I suggest reading their annual reports.

Well why walmart still building and target not? walmart brings in impact while target don't even bring in close to walmart brings in. I went to super target one night and hardly nobody was there, and they didn't have want I wanted. So i went to wal mart couple blocks down, and the parking lot was full at 1am. So wal mart still makes money while people are sleep.

ssullivan,

What WM have you been to?  Must be a pretty skanky one, becuase the two I frequent are excellent.  El Dorado and Atascocita.

You don't want to go in the Meyerland store... that place is nasty... The WM on Dunvale is gross too. The other WM I've been to occassionally is West Belt at Westview. It's a little better but not by much...

Atascocita & El Dorado are out of the question for me... that's waaay too far.

But no matter which WM I go to they all have the same things mentioned in this thread, millions of unrestrained little brats running around under my feet, looooong lines at the customer service counter, employees who seemed just as stressed out as the customers. And don't get me started on the parking lots--maneuvering through one is a nightmare (but that's how it is with most big box stores).

Well why walmart still building and target not?

Last year Target opened a new store at Memorial City Mall and new Super Targets in Sugar Land and Humble. A new Target is currently under construction at Meyerland. The San Felipe Target just underwent a major renovation. A new store across the Katy Freeway from the Woodland Heights neighborhood is about to start construction. They are still building.

One reason you're seeing more expansion of Wal-Mart in Houston (especially inner city areas) is that they really did not have that big of presence here until about five years ago. Their Houston area stores were very far out in the suburbs, except for Dunvale and Meyer Park. They've really started to expand to areas inside the beltway and just outside the beltway in the last few years. Target and K-Mart have been in areas of Houston for decades where Wal-Mart has been less than five years. Of course K-Mart is gone now, but they were in financial trouble ten years ago. Wal-Mart didn't run them out of town overnight. And as much as I dislike Wal-Mart's stores and business practices, K-Mart was an even more unpleasant place to shop.

Archived