• H-E-B
    • Kroger
    • Randalls
    • Fiesta

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a tough one, Cinco.

I'm nearly equidistant from a Fiesta, a Kroger and a Randall's, and have found each to have advantages and disadvantages. So I buy produce, spices and anything off-beat at Fiesta, and meat and name-brand products with coupons at Randall's or Kroger.

My dislike of Walmart is such that I wouldn't shop there, even if they built one next door.

That list does not mix well. Too many subcategories.

ANYWAY, I like SuperTarget, and HEB best.

why do you all not like walmat? What is it? the parents with their uncontrolable quantity of kids? is it the way the people are allowed to tear up the store? is it the quality of the employees? is it the speedy checkout that isnot so speedy? is it the dirty floors? Overall i prefer walmart because of the conenience, but unfortunately i have to travel to sugarland to shop. what are your reasons?

why do you all not like walmat? What is it? the parents with their uncontrolable  quantity of kids? is it the way the people are allowed to tear up the store? is it the quality of the employees? is it the speedy checkout that isnot so speedy? is it the dirty floors? Overall i prefer walmart because of the conenience, but unfortunately i have to travel to sugarland to shop. what are your reasons?

i don't like what wal-mart represents; a predatory out of control corporate behemouth bent on dominating and controling everything in its path.

and yeah, the stores are noisy, there are never enough cashiers and their customer service stinks.

That's not true. Maybe its the Walmart your going to. The two Katy Walmart Supercenters have great Customer Service and there is plentyof cashiers on hand.

The walmart in Katy is good, but try going to the walmart on dunvale, meyerland, or anywhere within the city limits(especialy on sundays). it"ll change your mind.

Yeah, Fry Road is a very busy place in that area. So much development. Applepee's is almost done. Indigo Earth nearby, and many other retail shops like Sam's, Lowe's, Randalls, Kroger, Kohls, Walmart Supercenter, Target, the Home Depot, Best Buy, and more. All in a 3 mile long stretch. 2 miles north of the Katy Freeway, 1 mile south of the Katy Freeway, all on Fry Road.

I've had mixed success with H.E.B. Some of them are really nice and stock all those strange foods I sometimes have a hard time getting. Then some of them are GhettoMarkets where I wouldn't think of shopping.

On a related note, I have a love-hate relationship with H.E.B.'s Central Market.

Sometimes when I'm in there I'll just pick up stuff that I've never heard of before just because it's different. But I have a hard time getting out of there for under $100. Still, I think they have the best bread in town.

Hong Kong Supermarket and Mall at the corner of Bellaire and Boone in New Chinatown is the best grocery store/strip mall in Houston. A trip here is a cultural experience unique to Houston and should be a mandatory daytrip for all out of town visitors.

Stinko Ranch can have Walmart, they deserve each other!

Dream

Here's an alternative to Wal-Mart; Free Cycle!

Free Cycle!

If you need something, and it doesn't have to be NEW, just in working order, consider that someone else in the Houston area may be willing to just give it to you for FREE! That saves everybody money, and it keeps otherwise useful items out of a landfill. In the Houston area, the group is approx. 3000 members. Dallas and Austin have about double that. But, the Houston just started last November, so that's pretty good for a "newbie". Try it, and if you like it, tell a friend.

There is also an alternative website that offers items very inexpensively:

For Sale In Houston!

Super Wal Mart is better then all of the stores. Why? Cause Wal Mart brings in twice as more money then the others, and bring in more business. Its also powerful that it runs other stores out of business, look at toy r us for crying out loud. Other stores trying to compete with Wal Mart, but I say just be yourself. If you try to compete with a powerful store like Wal Mart you will lose simple as that.

All of the above! Plus let me add the fact that they ruin most small communities they go into. I know, I grew up in a small town in Southeast Texas and my family owns a business that has been there over 60 years and I've seen how Wal-Mart is extremely unfair in many of its business practices and how they try to run their competition completely out of business rather than compete with them fairly.

Also, Wal-Mart is an awful place to work. I know of no other major company in the US that has had the number of employment-related lawsuits filed against them that Wal-Mart has. They've been hit with charges of discrimination on multiple levels, wrongful firings, unequal pay based on race and gender, and more. The company treats its employees very poorly.

And then there's all of their false advertising. Remember all of Wal-Mart's "Made in the USA" ads from a few years ago? Most of what's in their stores is not made in the US and they are one of the biggest (if not the biggest) retail importers of goods made in the sweatshops of third-world countries.

In my opinion, Wal-Mart is not a good corporate citizen in this world in many ways. Add to that their dirty, disorganized stores, lousy customer service, slow checkout lines, massive parking lots that are usually bigger than they need, slow speed of getting in and out, and yes, all those customers with their hundreds of undisciplined screaming kids running around, and that's why I refuse to set foot in a Wal-Mart unless I am absolutely desperate. I don't care if I might save $50 a year shopping there. It's not worth it!

Amen to that ,brother.

What are you talking about. The two Walmarts in Katy has their parking lots full to the max. It dies down around 10:30-11:00 but it is still crowded then. There are undisciplined kids in every store, not just Walmart. Target, Randalls, H-E-B, Kroger, all kinds of stores you see bad children, so just don't say Walmart. Walmart isn't that bad at all.

Archived