San Antonio And Aransas Pass Railway Company (SA&AP)

Disastro

When I was a kid and went with my parents to Corpus Christi (late 60's early to mid 70's), I remember there being an old rail line with telegraph poles running alongside the big causway that takes you into the city from the north (Port Aransas?).

In more recent years, I noticed it is gone. Does anyone remember that or know when that was removed -- or have photos of it? Any historical info on that would be of interest to me...

Dis

• 6 months later...

That was probably the Southern Pacific (formerly, San Antonio & Aransas Pass Ry.) line into Corpus Christi. It reached the city over a long pile trestle over the bay. The rail line was removed in the early 1960's though some of the wood piles were still visible for years afterward without the decking.

Corpus Christi had two other rail lines that reached the city from the west: the Texas-Mexican Ry. and the St. Louis, Brownsville & Mexico (Missouri Pacific). Each had its own depot in the city.

• 4 weeks later...
That was probably the Southern Pacific (formerly, San Antonio & Aransas Pass Ry.) line into Corpus Christi. It reached the city over a long pile trestle over the bay. The rail line was removed in the early 1960's though some of the wood piles were still visible for years afterward without the decking.

Corpus Christi had two other rail lines that reached the city from the west: the Texas-Mexican Ry. and the St. Louis, Brownsville & Mexico (Missouri Pacific). Each had its own depot in the city.

Thanks Willow! I'll bet that was it! That's pretty much all I remember seeing -- the wood piles and, if I recall correctly, the telegraph line that ran alongside it...not much else but I was somewhat impressed by such a long rail line across the bay (that would have been a good sized stretch of track!).

• 12 years later...
  • The title was changed to San Antonio And Aransas Pass Railway Company (SA&AP)

Archived