America's Most Underrated Cities (Houston #3)

sevfiv

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We edged out Kansas City, Missouri/Kansas, and Louisville, Kentucky. Boy, I feel better. We can keep putting lipstick on a pig, but what is it going to take, really? New York, LA, Chicago.... then Houston (we're always down on somebody's list). I truly think our location has us sunk (and there is nothing we can do to fix that). Houston is a great place to work... and it seems like that is all I ever hear why people even live here, including my self

We edged out Kansas City, Missouri/Kansas, and Louisville, Kentucky. Boy, I feel better. We can keep putting lipstick on a pig, but what is it going to take, really? New York, LA, Chicago.... then Houston (we're always down on somebody's list).

LA had a similar negative reputation during most of the 50s-80s; sprawl, pollution, lack of culture etc. Now it's included as one of those so-called "vibrant and rich in culture" places, which I agree with. I lived there in the 80s and thought the same thing then, but people in the SF area would mostly laugh then at such an idea. Remember Randy Newman's song, "I Love LA" ? It seemed then like it was almost a joke to say that to the average American, but he was speaking as a resident of the city, and I understood what he meant.

Just looking at some of the attention we've received in the past 5 years shows me that we're on our way to being regarded with more "respect". But like LA, we'll still be very imperfect.

I've been to Kansas City and Louisville. Both are quite nice. Louisville is a lot like Cincinnati in that you can feel like you are in the Deep South, Upper Midwest, or even the Northeast from block to block. Lots of history and some charming historic neighborhoods too. Kansas City has the most amazing collection of public art and fountains. We all love the Mecom Fountain, but KC has 100s of fountains just like that one all over town. It's a nice touch and leaves a lasting impression on visitors.

• 1 month later...
Funny, I was just about to post the same story.

I think everyone here would agree that Houston is underrated.

Btw, the others were Baltimore, Fort Lauderdale, Kansas City, and Louisville.

I lived in Baltimore for a number of years. Great town. But it is not without major problems.

I am just curious why anyone gives a damn what some rag writer thinks. You don't see people flocking in droves to live anywhere else. I am happy here, and there are millions of folks that have the same opinion. These idiots that have such insecurity that feel left out or insignificant if they don't make some "who's who list", I tell you the list this subject makes with me, the "I don't give a damn" list. Who gives a crap what any second rate want to be writer thinks about anything. And generally I don't care what anyone thinks of this area. Love it or leave it is my motto. I don't care or have the desire to impress anyone else, and do not seek or desire to live up to whatever "standards" they seem to think it takes to be something special.

Sure move to LA and pay $750K-$1MM, for the same home you can get here for $250K-$350K. Oh yeah you get the great view once the smog lifts enough to see the horizon. Or then you could always move to NYC and live in a building for $2500 month in rent, not have own a car, and be land locked for life, oh yeah but you do get the great food and friendly people every where you look right? Or if that's not up to your "standards" you could always go due north to a newer city, (since they burned to the ground once already) and live in the gale force winds and lovely 5 months of lovely winters with wind chill factors in the negatives throughout the duration. You betcha, I'm all in, just the place i want to be.

People live down here because most of us were born here, we like it here, people locate here from all over usually because of the things I listed above. What's not to like here. Mild winters are a plus, sure the summers are hot, but that's why we have ways to cool off. And maybe it's just me, but the summers are just not that bad, there are a lot worse places in the world believe me. Houston is one of the more diverse cities in the US. Cultural diversity across the board, whether you are a into the country scene, or you want big city lights, it's all right here. You can be gay, straight, or confused, it makes no difference, it's okay here, we don't care, just be happy. No matter your religious belief or lack there of, there is a way to fill that need here. And don't tell me you can't find a place to eat, no matter what your taste is, it's here in spades. You can't get a better cross section anywhere else in the world.

And you know what we still have here that you won't find in those other cities? People here still look out for one another, people here still wave and say hello. People here still take the time to try and help their neighbor, or in some instances, a total stranger. When tragedy hits someone here, you find out you have more friends than you originally thought, and usually gain a few more. People here generally want to do the right thing, and want to help their fellow man. Sure we have our bad folks, what place doesn't, but the general consensus is that we are friendly people and still give a damn about each other. So if some rag butcher wants to call us second rate, well screw him. Most people that make those calls, have never spent any real time here, because people that have, don't want to leave, and you know what, we're glad to have those people, and welcome them "Home". Because just just like the cornball slogan goes, "There's no Place like Texas, welcome Home".

What makes Fredericksburg such a tourist Mecca? In my opinion it's little more that a town full of tourista priced stores filled with nice, expensive Texana Crapulence.

I love that. Texana Crapulence. It's my new favorite. My best friend recently moved from Wimberly back into south Austin. They couldn't stand the crapulence anymore and the commute wasn't worth the weekend hordes of lawyers on Harleys and their wives buying kuntry kraft stuff.

Of course, for anyone who's confused, they're talking about Fredricksburg, Texas rather than Fredricksburg, Maryland where that travel piece was published (rather interesting).

It doesn't bother me one bit that Houston is not particularly thought of as "cool" or whatever. For those who care, the city will get recognized for what it is, in time. Then people will come and ruin it.

So enjoy....

Look it momma, Chicago likes me...kind of.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/travel/...ton0326.article

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/travel/...ide0326.article

Nice post, Mr. Barnes. Not only should we not care, but most of the time they get it wrong, anyway. I used to get steamed reading negativity about Houston and Texas, but honestly, who cares? More for us.

I can understand that point of view. But really, I don't usually find myself defending Houston. I'm usually initiating the conversation telling people how much I love it. I think there's a difference.

Does a city really need defending?

Well, Rome needed defending from barbarians at the gate...

I don't think we have any barbarians, or any gate. They're talking about a fence at the border though.

move to NYC and live in a building for $2500 month in rent, not have own a car, and be land locked for life

since when can you be land locked on a island??

just kidding, i know what you mean. i love visiting nyc, but i would never live there.

found this little blogger writing of their experience during fotofest.

link

Watch out Austin! haha

That's Jen Bekman - Lisa Gray just published an article about her online art gallery 20x200.

Really neat (and cheap) art (not quite a la Steve Keene, but similar principle). Just bought a small work that was featured a couple months ago...i feel a bad habit forming!

• 2 months later...

This is nice. Now if only the people of Houston and the rest of the world would cling to and spread the news about this ranking (which seems just as credible and valid as any other I've ever seen) as they do to the negitive one's.

This is nice. Now if only the people of Houston and the rest of the world would cling to and spread the news about this ranking (which seems just as credible and valid as any other I've ever seen) as they do to the negitive one's.

How can Houston remain a top underrated city if everyone starts bragging about its underrated-ness?

Archived