Day Laborers

I am starting several large projects soon and was wondering about laborers pay. On the east side, at home cheapo there are alot that stand all day without getting anything..I usually pay 10/hr. If its truly supply and demand, and given they WANT to work, shouldnt the pay be less? Whats everyone elses experience.

$10/hr will get you top notched hands in Texas, as far as Day laborers go. I am sure they've gotten worst offers before. I use them on occaision, mainly for fence work at my place or when I add on to my shop or parking areas here at the house. $10/hr is a good number. Any less and you usually end up with the town drunks and dregs.

I believe that you should pay them based on how hard they have worked. I think what works best is to tell them that you'll pay $65 per guy plus lunch, but if they work hard you'll pay them more. And I always do if I see them working hard - sometimes $100 per guy.

The "pay by the job" method can backfire. If you take them all the way to the job and they decide it's not worth the money, and you can't come to an agreement, then you're supposed to take them all the way back? Big waste of time. However, I do know a plumber that makes them walk back if they decide they don't want to work. :D

I believe that you should pay them based on how hard they have worked. I think what works best is to tell them that you'll pay $65 per guy plus lunch, but if they work hard you'll pay them more. And I always do if I see them working hard - sometimes $100 per guy.

The "pay by the job" method can backfire. If you take them all the way to the job and they decide it's not worth the money, and you can't come to an agreement, then you're supposed to take them all the way back? Big waste of time. However, I do know a plumber that makes them walk back if they decide they don't want to work. :D

$5 or $6 bucks/hr is good enough plus lunch and water. If it is a hot day, then 7 or 8 bucks/hr plus lunch/water. They need to get the job done though. If the job is not completed, then all bets are off. There are exceptions.

Alot of these guys are not making any money at all, so alot of them are happy to even be working for that day. You're in control, but pay fairly. I will say that you do take a risk in hiring guys that might not have skills in doing the particular job that you asked.

Archived