Texas Medical Center Parking Rates

brain

My understanding is that many hospitals in TMC are so called non-profit origanisations. Then, why do they squeeze every penny out of your wallet for parking ? It appears the average rate on a week day is $ 10 (for 2+ hours, for a normal 'visitor/patient'. Texas children's has outrageous rates. $16 !!!!!

Anyone has any less-expensive options than metrorail ?

• Like 1

Nope. Rail is really the only option if you don't want to pay the $16.

TMC has a program for frequent parkers, but it won't save you much money. TMC's parking link is here:

If it makes you feel better, employees get nailed for parking and it gets taken out of their pay.

Edited by ricco67
  • Like 1

My understanding is that many hospitals in TMC are so called non-profit origanisations. Then, why do they squeeze every penny out of your wallet for parking ? It appears the average rate on a week day is $ 10 (for 2+ hours, for a normal 'visitor/patient'. Texas children's has outrageous rates. $16 !!!!!

Anyone has any less-expensive options than metrorail ?

Just ride a bike.

• Like 1

Nope. Rail is really the only option if you don't want to pay the $16.

TMC has a program for frequent parkers, but it won't save you much money. TMC's parking link is here:

If it makes you feel better, employees get nailed for parking and it gets taken out of their pay.

Yep, I would rail, bike, or walk before paying to park all day there.

And like mentioned above, contract parking rates are crazy!

Just because an organization has nonprofit status doesn't mean it won't take opportunities to gouge you for money...

• Like 1

There has been many complaints about parking, but from I hear that compared to other medical centers around the country this is actually reasonable. I don't recall who handles the monies or who exactly profits, but I'm here to tell ya', they need to redesign quite a few of those garages.

There was a bit of inside news I got several years ago about the parking there and damned if I can't remember it. Maybe if I drink more I'll remember it.

• Like 1

Not condoning those rates at all, but garages, maintenance, insurance, and garage staff are expensive. Assuming the TMC wants parking to pay for itself, sorta, the rates probably have to be that high. I'd be willing to bet there's no real profit margin.

• Like 1

There was a bit of inside news I got several years ago about the parking there and damned if I can't remember it. Maybe if I drink more I'll remember it.

I remember now, TMC basically told Metro to charge for parking at its fannin station as so it won't totally compete with the parking there. I guess they figure that $2 plus the "inconvenience" to ride and pay $2 for parking would persuade people that they might as well park at the med center for 4 bucks more (at the time parking was 8 or 9 bucks). As the parking costs increase, I wonder if more people are parking at the Fannin station.

Last time I was at the South fannin station, (about 5 months ago) it looked like it was halfway full.

• Like 1

Then take a cab, depending on your insurance, they'll cover it.

Edit:

my insurance paid for the cab to and from the hospital and some different facilities a few years back.

I wonder how prevalent that is - insurance covering fares.

Wasn't there a scene in Sicko where the cashier in the hospital (in London, maybe?) was only there to give you money for transportation, not to take money...?

I would feel much better about (for-profit) insurance if i knew for sure they would rather have me alive than dead - of course as long as i am alive, the more chance there is to make money off me if I get sick by not covering things...bleh! (end tiny rant)

• Like 1

I wonder how prevalent that is - insurance covering fares.

Wasn't there a scene in Sicko where the cashier in the hospital (in London, maybe?) was only there to give you money for transportation, not to take money...?

I would feel much better about (for-profit) insurance if i knew for sure they would rather have me alive than dead - of course as long as i am alive, the more chance there is to make money off me if I get sick by not covering things...bleh! (end tiny rant)

From what I understand, there are a number of insurance agencies that do. I talked with several friends about this last night(? we were drinking), and they have all commented that they or someone they knew took a cab to have a procedure that wouldn't allow them to drive afterwards and was covered by their insurance companies. When I had my two trips in a cab covered was when I had a procedure at a clinic and then to the hospital for a scheduled procedure.

• Like 1

Welcome to density! The TMC land under your car is expensive. If you want cheap or free parking, you have to drive to a doctor on less expensive property.

• Like 1

Welcome to density! The TMC land under your car is expensive. If you want cheap or free parking, you have to drive to a doctor on less expensive property.

You just nailed it. Land right near the Medical Center is very frequently more expensive than it is downtown. The very best sites are now priced in excess of $200 per square foot.

You just nailed it. Land right near the Medical Center is very frequently more expensive than it is downtown. The very best sites are now priced in excess of $200 per square foot.

It can be shocking to Children of the Sprawl like me and Brain when we discover how much those city-slicker eggheads who tell us how we should be using our land are actually paying for parking. I got my first downtown job in my late 30s. Up until then I kind of assumed parking was free everywhere for everyone, like air. Paying $6 a day just to park my car seemed like madness.

• Like 1

It is easy to non profit when the top dog makes;

Appendix 3: Top 20 Highest-Paid Leaders of U.S. Non-Profit Organizations

Leader Organization 2005 compensation

1 Harold Varmus Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center $2,491,450

2 James J. Mongan Partners HealthCare System $1,518,113

3 Peter Traber Baylor College of Medicine $1,237,200 :blink:

from Institute for Policy Studies, http://www.ips-dc.org/getfile.php?id=130

If he got McNair to donate 100 mil, maybe he's worth it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I take the train or ride my bike, depending on the weather. One of the perks of living in midtown.

I don't even have a car to park there if I wanted -- my girl drives it to her office.

Anyway, everyone, here is a secret, used by every student in the TMC. Park at the zoo. It's free, and most likely the same distance you'd have to walk from a garage to your destination anyway.

• Like 1

In the Baylor hospital district in Dallas, all of the parking lots take these $1 vouchers that let you park as long as you want (multiple days in my experience) and they don't expire. Of course, you have to know they exist, but usually if you're there enough to have parking fees add up you'll have read the website or your doctor told you. I'm sure they still get lots of $ at the regular rate though, it's too easy to swipe a credit card. I wouldn't mind them jacking up the rates a bit like the TMC when rail comes in late 2009, hopefully enticing people to use that option.

Jason

WHOOPS, I see the vouchers are now $2. Still less than a Dart day pass though, which should change IMO.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A little more info on parking rates from what I could dig up through non-profit internet sites.

Texas Medical Center, as it is known to the Dept of Treasury, INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE, was formerly known as Texas Medical Center, Incorporated, (TMC Inc). I guess that name sounded a bit too business-like. As a non-profit institution, it must file FORM 990 with the IRS each year. These documents are open to public view, so please don't think that I am spying...hey transparency is in, right?

Form 990, Part III, Year 2007 What is the organization's primary exempt purpose? ANSWER:

"Texas Medical Center was organized as a Texas non-profit corporation 1945. Today, it 1. Aquires and donates land to serve as related campuses - known as The Texas Medical Center (The 'TMC Campuses') - in the city of Houston for sale, lease, or gift to separate non-profit or public institutions which are engaged in healthcare, education, and research, 2. Serves as a coordinating body for such institutions and other area non-profit, public healthcare, education and research institutions or entities ancillary thereto (collectively referred to as 'Member Institutions'), and 3. Improves, operates and maintains selected common use of facilities for the Texas Medical Center, including parking facilities, internal rights-of-way, conference facilities, certain amenities, and a multi-use office and research building. There are currently more than 45 member institutions. Most are located on the campuses."

"Form 990, Part VII, Year 2007, Line 93 - Program service revenue: (a) parking fees...$57,975,651.00"

OUCH!

The bike racks (if you can find one) are still free. Make good lifestyle choices most of the time and try to avoid this place. If you have to be here, I hope you are under the care of some of my friends who are compassionate and caring individuals.

• Like 1

I take the train or ride my bike, depending on the weather. One of the perks of living in midtown.

I don't even have a car to park there if I wanted -- my girl drives it to her office.

Anyway, everyone, here is a secret, used by every student in the TMC. Park at the zoo. It's free, and most likely the same distance you'd have to walk from a garage to your destination anyway.

No wonder I can't ever find a parking spot when I try to take the kids to the zoo. Thanks TMC students!

• 8 years later...
  • The title was changed to Hefty Parking Rates At TMC?
  • The title was changed to Texas Medical Center Parking Rates
  • 7 months later...

Did anyone notice a parking increase in the Texas Medical Center garages? I thought they were supposed to increase but I haven't noticed anything yet.

I wonder if this is due to to who owns, or manages, the garages? Some of the garages are managed by LAZ Parking and I haven't seen any increase.

This subject is actually controversial. People seeking healthcare are having to pay a fortune for parking. I always recommend parking at the METRO Fannin South Transit Center and riding the train.  Easier said than done.

Square footage is at a premium in high-density urban areas. Payable parking spaces makes sense, in my opinion.