Crime In Southampton

Jax

I got this notification this morning from Rice's emergency notification system this morning (they send all students SMS/email/automated phone calls whenever something bad happens). The scary part is that I got a similar notification on Jan 28 about two muggings on Bissonnet on the same day, and a similar one a few weeks before that about a mugging on Cherokee. And some students were mugged on campus in December, and in November a student was mugged near Rice Village (a block from University).

I think the residents of Southampton need to worry less about the Ashby Highrise and more about crime.

At approximately 8:44 AM this morning an undergraduate student was robbed at gunpoint on Wilton Street near Sunset Blvd. The student was uninjured. The student was walking south on Wilton Street headed toward the university, when he was approached from the opposite direction by an unidentified male suspect who demanded his wallet. The student complied with the demand and the suspect fled northbound on foot. The suspect was described as an African American male, approximately 5'8" tall, heavyset, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and gym shorts. He was armed with a black semi-automatic handgun.

Right, and wasn't one a double mugging? The one near Rice Village was on Southgate, I think (last semester). I only saved the latest email from Rice so now I can't look it up.

It's definitely happening more often than last year. I used to walk home along Rice to Cherokee then on Bissonnet to Dunlavy. So many of these muggings are happening right where I used to walk!

The description of the guy seems to be the same in each case, right? How stupid can he be, staying in the same general vicinity? He's asking to get caught.

There are so many people who exercise in this area, but they typically don't carry a wallet, and he seems to not be going after them, thanfully.

Jax, don't walk around there anymore. Stay safe, dude.

The Mandell case had a description of a small frame african-american male around 5'5", 155 lbs. I *think* the Poe case had a similar description, which led police to believe it could have been the same person.

This morning's suspect was described as an african-american male, 5'8" and heavy set.

The Mandell case had a description of a small frame african-american male around 5'5", 155 lbs. I *think* the Poe case had a similar description, which led police to believe it could have been the same person.

This morning's suspect was described as an african-american male, 5'8" and heavy set.

The black hooded sweatshirt has been mentioned a few times, I believe.

If it's more than one person, then I would bet they're working together.

13 had a story that stated there have been 8 incidents since the beginning of the year. here's an email from the civic association.

Subject: CRIME UPDATE and sketch of suspect

In response to this morning's armed robbery of a Rice student walking on Wilton near Sunset, (the student's wallet was taken, but he was not harmed) HPD, Rice PD and the Southampton/BOCA Patrol Service are coordinating their efforts to apprehend the suspect. This afternoon Rice hosted a meeting of all local agencies to ensure quick and direct communication among all units operating in the area. HPD has committed to adding extra units to our area during all shifts, Rice is committing some additional units, and the Patrol service continues to run a second unit. We appreciate the help of Council Member Anne Clutterbuck's office in securing commitments in writing for additional HPD patrols.

A computer generated sketch of the suspect is attached. Please note that suspect is very dark skinned and the attached sketch does not reflect the suspect's true skin color due to computer program constraints. Again, the suspect is described as a dark skinned, African American male, approximately 5'8" tall, heavyset, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and gym shorts. We do not know if this is the same suspect involved in the evening robberies two weeks ago.

What you can do to help.

1. Our police agencies need everyone's help to be their eyes and ears. Please call immediately (911 or the Patrol at 713-825-5555) when you see someone in the area matching the description of the suspect, or anyone who appears to be acting suspiciously and is walking nor cruising our local streets. In an incident over two weeks ago a maroon Lincoln was used as a getaway car.

2. Program the Patrol's number into your cell phone and take your phone with you when you go for walks around the neighborhood.

3. Walk in pairs or take your dog and cell phones with you.

4. Even if you are not a Patrol subscriber, call the officer on duty at 713-825-5555 if you see the suspect or anyone suspicious.

Please be aware that in response to the evening robberies more than two weeks ago, the Southampton/BOCA Patrol Service has been operating an extra vehicle and HPD assigned cars and plain clothes officers in unmarked vehicles to our area in the evenings. This beefed up police presence appears to have been successful in preventing more nighttime incidents.

As those of you who have lived here for several years can attest, this series of armed robberies is highly unusual. Our area is considered to be a very low crime area, thanks in great part to the presence of the Southampton/BOCA Patrol Service. We encourage you to support the this valuable neighborhood amenity by sending your quarterly contribution of $100 to P.O. 66358 Houston, TX 77266. Payment inquires for the Patrol should be directed to 713-825-4558 or southamptonbocapatrol@yahoo.com.

We will remain in regular communication with the Patrol service and HPD and will keep you informed as news develops.

-------

Boulevard Oaks Civic Association/BOCA

PO Box 540331

Houston, TX 77254

713-528-BOCA (2622)

I honestly believe that the culprit may be a fellow student at Rice who sees an opportunity and takes it when it is presented to him. Last robbery occurred at 8:45am ? Sounds like he may have been on his way to a class saw an easy target, he figured, well, I have a few minutes, I have my gun on me............

I honestly believe that the culprit may be a fellow student at Rice who sees an opportunity and takes it when it is presented to him. Last robbery occurred at 8:45am ? Sounds like he may have been on his way to a class saw an easy target, he figured, well, I have a few minutes, I have my gun on me............

.....and I gotta pay that tuition soon......

I'm sorry, but this is an insane theory. There are not that many Rice students. It would be crazy for a Rice student to rob his fellow Rice students--the chances of him being recognized would be extremely high.

I'm sorry, but this is an insane theory. There are not that many Rice students. It would be crazy for a Rice student to rob his fellow Rice students--the chances of him being recognized would be extremely high.

OH, so I see that you work there at Rice, you know all 6000 or so students that go to Rice right now ? Ok, you must be right, my bad.

I guess you think the boyfriend who allegedly "dropped off" the recently missing pregnant woman from his car after a fight at 1am has nothing to do with her disappearance either ?

After 28 years at Rice as student and staff member, I tend to agree with RWB. You don't have to know everyone to realize that there are a lot of places where everyone goes -- library, gym, student center, large intro classes, etc. I've never heard of an armed robbery of one Rice student by another Rice student. That's not to say Rice students are perfect by any means -- we've had arson, sexual assault, and large-scale felony theft. (Very occasionally.) But never an armed robbery. Last semester we had a spate of petty thefts, usually of wallets from unattended rooms. Since we do know pretty much everyone in our building and no one saw anyone suspicious, it sounded pretty tempting to conclude it was an inside job. But finally one of our staff members saw a twenty-something guy sitting on a couch trying to hide his face with a notebook (!) That seemed a little weird and none of us recognized him, so we called the cops. Turned out he had been a suspect in several other thefts and was given a trespass warning. Since then, no more thefts.

The thing is marmer, that you really don't know people. There has been ancedotal and documented cases of leading double lives. One of which was nationally exposed quite recently. I've deal/dealt with people with double lives who's significant other's don't know what's going on.

Don't you think that perhaps people will do things that aren't in their best interest and NOT tell people? There has been a history of crooks/dealers/hookers/murders/serial killers that have lead a rather ordinary life from all demographic make ups.

Being a Rice student does not exclude you from wanting to stray on the wrong side of the law now and again, nor does it protect you from being a victim from a student of the same facility. I think yesterday in Chicago is a prime example.

I would say that it's possible a Rice student is mugging other Rice students, however that's not the most likely scenario. Rice students in general aren't desperate enough to mug people. There are a lot more likely explanations, but of course anything is possible.

I agree, NOT the MOST likely scenario, but that doesn't mean it COULDN'T happen. It is indeed NOT a wild, crazy accusation or scenario. How long did it take to correctly identify the Unibomber ? We are talking about just some random mugger, but who knows what he or she is capable of ? Someone may decide to be a hero and test the mugger, and the gun may go off.

OH, so I see that you work there at Rice, you know all 6000 or so students that go to Rice right now ? Ok, you must be right, my bad.

No, but I do walk around campus every day, and if a guy who mugged me was also walking around campus every day (as students do) there'd be a good chance I'd see him.

Consequently, if you were a Rice student who decided to take up armed robbery, it would be highly foolish for you to mug someone from Rice. The basic idea is, "Don't sh*it where you eat."

Exactly. Why would Rice students rob their fellow students? Everybody knows that Rice students break into the cars at UH! :o

.....and there you have it.

RWB, I totally understand your point, just don't rule out EVERY option just because you don't THINK that a Rice student would EVER be capable of such a thing.

The problem you are having with this seems to be just that, YOU don't want to believe a Rice student could do this, and all along it may be the person you just passed wearing that Rice hoodie and said "Hi!" to.

The problem you are having with this seems to be just that, YOU don't want to believe a Rice student could do this, and all along it may be the person you just passed wearing that Rice hoodie and said "Hi!" to.

No, the problem I'm having is that if a Rice student had, on several separate occasions during the day, robbed fellow Rice students at gunpoint, he would have been caught by now. He would have been caught because at least one of his victims would have seen him--in class, walking through the quad, at one of the serveries, whatever.

Look, I have no problem with the thought that a Rice student could "go bad." It's a distressing thought, but people have problems that don't disappear just because they're bright and in a protective university environment. The problem I have with this theory is that it's illogical. There just aren't that many Rice students. The campus is not all that big. It's not one of those monster State Schools where people can have a little bit of anonymity. Even at UT or A&M, the risk of getting caught seems would be unacceptably high just because of the chance of a random encounter between victim and perp while walking between classes is not trivial. At Rice, that chance of any two people having a random visual encounter on campus is not only not trivial, but very large indeed.

• 1 month later...

So, it looks like a couple of guys would drive into town make a robbery and then head back to Pasadena before lunch. I am glad I was wrong about it being a fellow student. Seems like a lot of effort to pull off such small takes. Perhaps that is why they quit hitting Rice, the cost of gas was eating into their profit.

Archived