New To Area, House Hunting

Chris51

My husband is taking a job in the Rosenberg area. I am just starting the online info search before making a house hunting trip. I have been lurking on your boards for days and I must say am delighted with all the detailed information. We would like a commute of less than 30 minutes, and since it would be opposite the traffic flow we are not sure just how far out we could possibly be from Rosenberg. Our top price is $500,000 and would certainly welcome less. The children are all in colleges, so we are I guess downsizing. I would like to have a 1 story home if at all possible, as I am occassionally disabled. Any suggestions on areas, planned communities, etc. would be appreciated. I myself like to be where I can get to shopping, libraries, or entertainment on days I am not house bound, and don't want to be forever driving. I somewhat like the idea of a planned community, with walking trails, pools, etc. as I enjoy the pool and can't provide the physical upkeep of owning my own. Thanks in advance. Chris

My husband is taking a job in the Rosenberg area. I am just starting the online info search before making a house hunting trip. I have been lurking on your boards for days and I must say am delighted with all the detailed information. We would like a commute of less than 30 minutes, and since it would be opposite the traffic flow we are not sure just how far out we could possibly be from Rosenberg. Our top price is $500,000 and would certainly welcome less. The children are all in colleges, so we are I guess downsizing. I would like to have a 1 story home if at all possible, as I am occassionally disabled. Any suggestions on areas, planned communities, etc. would be appreciated. I myself like to be where I can get to shopping, libraries, or entertainment on days I am not house bound, and don't want to be forever driving. I somewhat like the idea of a planned community, with walking trails, pools, etc. as I enjoy the pool and can't provide the physical upkeep of owning my own. Thanks in advance. Chris

Try Telfair and Greatwood first. There are other communities that may fit the bill, but these should have product that is very much in your price range, close to Rosenberg, and are still close enough to the freeway that you can be in the middle of the action pretty quickly.

Depending on where in Rosenberg would I base my recommendations. I would not recommend Greatwood, as it's a pain in the ass to get in and out of the subdivision itself. You'll easily spend 15 minutes getting out of there because of four-way stops, and school zones.

Telfair is new, where as New Territory is older & established (shade trees) Both give easy access to US99 & US90, to get into Rosenberg, avoiding US59. Along US59 at US99 you also have Riverpark, similar to New Territory.

You can also go the opposite route and look at some subdivisions north of Rosenberg like Pecan Grove. It's older, established, and easy to get to via 723 to 359.

All are with in your price range.

Thank you for the quick suggestions, I have heard of Telfair, Greatwood, and Pecan Grove in these posts. In looking at the map and from comments, I am wondering about the Cinco Ranch area, that any any developments in and around Richmond. Are those a reasonable (under 30 min.) commute to Rosenberg? It is hard to judge just from the map, considering traffic, and the fact that everything in Texas is bigger. I am planning a trip soon to look over the area, and we are seriously considering renting to get the feel for the areas before buying, just dreading the move and having to move again. Thanks so much for all the suggestion, I am amazed at the wealth on knowledge that everyone so generously shares. What a friendly site.

Thank you for the quick suggestions, I have heard of Telfair, Greatwood, and Pecan Grove in these posts. In looking at the map and from comments, I am wondering about the Cinco Ranch area, that any any developments in and around Richmond. Are those a reasonable (under 30 min.) commute to Rosenberg? It is hard to judge just from the map, considering traffic, and the fact that everything in Texas is bigger. I am planning a trip soon to look over the area, and we are seriously considering renting to get the feel for the areas before buying, just dreading the move and having to move again. Thanks so much for all the suggestion, I am amazed at the wealth on knowledge that everyone so generously shares. What a friendly site.

You seem to have things well thought out on how you want to live and what you expect. You would be doing yourself a total disservice if you didn't actually go to the various areas and drive it yourself so you won't be disappointed in the commutes and going the correct route on renting first. A minimalist themed decor is probably in your future until you settle on a place.

More people are more knowledgable in the individual neighborhoods and communites than I, but I do offer that you take a look at something along the Grand parkway/Westpark area and see what is available. The reason why I say this is that your commute would be easier (the construction will be done by next year) and still have Access to I-10/Westpark for a quick (relatively speaking) jaunt to Downtown if that is what you're considering for primary source of entertainment (Arts, Games, etc).

I don't know what special needs you need for medical issues go, but by being closer to Katy, you would be able to take advantage of Memorial Hermann being close by.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Hi all and thanks for all the information.

I would like to clarify, that while our top top dollar is $500,000, we would certainly welcome less, I gave out that amount as I have not yet been to the area and only recently began looking online. We had planned on locating to the Raleigh/Durham N.C. area last summer and housing there is sky high. From what I can tell comparable housing is somewhat less than that in the southwest Houston/Rosenberg area. Of course I realize you can always find something more expensive! If we could stay in the lower $300's it would be nice. Are there particular neighborhoods or planned communities that I should research? Suggestions would be helpful. Any areas that you can walk to nearby groceries, bakeries, banks, pools, and libraries, would be great. Is everything new housing? Presently we are in a 1910 Georgian colonial in the midwest, and have all the issues that come with an older home. Are there areas of older housing that have already been updated, I don't think I can do that again, takes so long, making new housing that much more attractive. Sorry for all the ramblings and multitude of questions, I am hoping to get much of the research done so that my first trip to the area will be well organized and fruitful.

Try out Weston Lakes. Its out in Fulshear. I do not believe its a far commute. From front door to say Cinco Ranch High School it is 15 min. So from front door to Rosenberg I have no idea.

Its an established neighborhood with new homes being built all the time. Theyre in Lamar Consolidated so you pay a lower rate then Katy ISD. I dont know about MUD taxes and the like but from what I can tell they are relatively low.

Another neighborhood right next door is Fullbrook. Great place. Its a completely new neighborhood and not gated like Weston Lakes

As I can recall they have over 2500 sq ft one stories starting below $250k with all the amenities.

...Dont quote me on the commute to Rosenberg though. Just google map the time.

Any areas that you can walk to nearby groceries, bakeries, banks, pools, and libraries, would be great. Is everything new housing?

You had to throw a curve-ball in there didn't you? You must have not ever been to Houston before. Unfortunately, to find those amenities with in walking distance means either an inner-loop neighborhood, or one of the very few new MPC's that are out there. The Woodlands Town Center is the only one I can think of. There are others on the drawing-board, including one for the Sugar Land area, but nothing built as of yet.

Your best bet is to look around the First Colony area of Sugar Land. Perhaps finding a home close to Lexington or SH6 somewhere between Williams Trace and Sweetwater Blvd area. It will be hit or miss, but with a 300k budget, if you find one - you should be able to afford it. Try this to get your feet wet: Oaks of Alcorn Listing. In my opinion, this is the best you're going to find on short notice that fills all your above listed criteria. The area is about 20 years old, very deed restricted and well landscaped (jogging paths, tall shade trees, enforced speed limits, super-low crime). You're about a 15 minute walk/5 minute bike from the First Colony Mall and the Sugar Land Town Center as well. Grocery stores are a little further, but drug-stores with everything except fresh produce are near by.

Edit: Here's the library. It looks like a 15 minute walk opposite of the shopping. It's a shady walk though, for all the tree-lined sidewalks. Again, a bike in Sugar Land will give you the closest thing to what you're looking for - that is all the amenities with in walking distance.

From First Colony, your drive to Rosenberg is going to be about 20 minutes, 30 with construction. Factor in reverse commuting and you could possible shave off 5 to 10 minutes depending on time of day and progress of construction on 59.

The only other place I can think of is in New Territory. There are some amenities with in walking distance of the neighborhood at New Territory Blvd and SH99. They have a Kroger as well as a bank or two, along with a few fast-food places and some services (dry-cleaning, nails, etc..) - only no library (that I know of).

Archived