Developers Can't Get Enough Of Pearland

njvisitor

http://www.globest.com/news/1088_1088/houston/168053-1.html

Mark P. Carroll, vice president with Houston-based Crosswell Greenwood Commercial Development LLC, says Reserve at Shadow Creek Ranch's development was contingent upon Memorial Hermann's and Kelsey-Seybold's closings. Kelsey-Seybold will construct a two-building, 120,000-sf office complex on its 10-acre site. Memorial Hermann's planners haven't yet said what is planned for 12 acres that it acquired. The development sites are located at the intersection of Texas 288 and FM 518. No ground-breaking dates have been said although Carroll says both could get under way by early 2009.

According to the article, the new development will be built along the intersection of 288/518, so I believe they're referring to the open space running alongside 288S before the 518 exit (the land neighboring Memorial Hermann).

Glad to see that Kelsey-Seybold will be expanding; its Silverlake clinic is simply too small for such a large community. The developer also mentions his interest in selling the land to "multifamily" developers, which worries me quite a bit...

EDIT:

Map & site plan for the development discussed in the article, courtesy of Rajuncajun (thanks!):

http://thereserveatscr.com/Site-Plan.html

Site%20Plan%20Logos_LG.jpg

I'm wondering how they will handle access to those new developments on the west side of 288 before 518. They can't hook in directly to 288, and extending roads from SCR or from behind the new HEB complex seems cumbersome. It would be nice if they built a feeder road along 288 between 2234 and 518. That would make for easy access. However, that would also take more approval (and maybe funding) from the state, right?

I'm wondering how they will handle access to those new developments on the west side of 288 before 518. They can't hook in directly to 288, and extending roads from SCR or from behind the new HEB complex seems cumbersome. It would be nice if they built a feeder road along 288 between 2234 and 518. That would make for easy access. However, that would also take more approval (and maybe funding) from the state, right?

It looks like they're going to use Business Center Dr., which functions as a distant feeder road, connecting 2234 and 518. Though it's a bit too narrow and hidden to be a highway feeder. The article also says that they have a good deal of roads to lay before construction.

A bond was approved last May that included several road improvements including the addition of frontage roads for Highway 288 between McHard and FM 518. I would imagine work on these to be completed sometime early 09.

A bond was approved last May that included several road improvements including the addition of frontage roads for Highway 288 between McHard and FM 518. I would imagine work on these to be completed sometime early 09.

Yippee! :D

Yes there will be feeder roads on both sides of 288 between 518 and FM2234. Also this proposed development has a website: http://thereserveatscr.com/

Thanks for the link! I can see the future feeder roads in the map at that site.

Sucks that feeder roads are coming in. 288 is a pretty well planned freeway though. Should be very easy to expand, because all you have to do is add a lane to the middle, and you would still have room for commuter rail or an HOV lane.

Sucks that feeder roads are coming in. 288 is a pretty well planned freeway though. Should be very easy to expand, because all you have to do is add a lane to the middle, and you would still have room for commuter rail or an HOV lane.

Commuter rail? What city do you live in? I'm imagining a similar situation as the new Katy Freeway with multi "express, aka big toll" lanes going down the middle of 288 with dedicated off ramps INTO the medical center. As for trains? Houston prefers buses and concrete.

The feeders will help traffic flow with these massive new developments. However, I don't like the exit they made to the feeder/Spectrum on 288 southbound. That's going to be accident central once the Waterlights District opens up. I've already had nearly 3 accidents from people turning into the Bass Shop.

I live in Katy, and yes I said commuter rail. Westpark, Southwest, Cypress, and Galveston are the four commuter lines so far (planned and will happen). If you all in Pearland don't want one, and only want tolls, that's fine! More money for METRO to spend elsewhere. You should check out the 'Traffic and Transportation' section to see how badly Houston "just wants buses and concrete". :rolleyes:

I live in Katy, and yes I said commuter rail. Westpark, Southwest, Cypress, and Galveston are the four commuter lines so far (planned and will happen). If you all in Pearland don't want one, and only want tolls, that's fine! More money for METRO to spend elsewhere.

TXDoT has done a planning study that has mentioned commuter rail as a possibility on the tracks along Almeda from near the Fannin South P&R to somewhere in the immediate vicinity of Shadow Creek Ranch. I don't believe that they bothered to actually bring in METRO for comment, as it was not an inter-agency report. But SH 288 is their highway and it doesn't look like they want the tracks there.

Although METRO had enthusiastically announced the commuter rail lines, I am doubtful at this point that they are going to happen anytime soon. Union Pacific is not happy with the plans' impacts to freight rail operations and METRO isn't in the best position to strongarm them at this time into selling (or forfeiting) track rights. If you hadn't noticed, after all, the Houston area's manufacturing base is larger than that of any other metropolitan area in the country. The rails we've still got from the old days, we use.

• 5 months later...

The city of Pearland has released progress reports of their capital projects, as of July 3rd, 2008. It seems the feeder roads planned for Hwy 288 between 518 and 2234 have been delayed by TxDot. Projected completion is not until Jan 2010. I have uploaded the section of the report related to this project in an attachment.

• 5 months later...
According to the article, the new development will be built along the intersection of 288/518, so I believe they're referring to the open space running alongside 288S before the 518 exit (the land neighboring Memorial Hermann).

Glad to see that Kelsey-Seybold will be expanding; its Silverlake clinic is simply too small for such a large community. The developer also mentions his interest in selling the land to "multifamily" developers, which worries me quite a bit...

EDIT:

Map & site plan for the development discussed in the article, courtesy of Rajuncajun (thanks!):

http://thereserveatscr.com/Site-Plan.html

You called it njvisitor, they updated their site and show all the MF developments on SCR. One of the large tracks of the reserve calls for a third apartment complex on business dr. I feel sorry for the homeowners which backyards go against it, but I guess is a risk they took when building on those lots.

http://www.thereserveatscr.com/download/NO...amilyAerial.pdf

Fabulous work to find and share this, Chamo. Our thanks.

Interesting that the map shows a part of the dreaded Blue Ridge Landfill, on the far west edge. I would have thought they (the folks making the pdf) would have conveniently cut that out.

Anyway, I can't say I'm happy with all the future apartment complexes shown. My personal disappointment is the #5 Luxury Apartments (352 units) at the NE corner of Kingsley and 518. I had hoped that would be ball fields or something.

Question: What is this "Kirby Commons" at the NW corner of Kirby and 518? The color-code makes me think it is multi-family housing. Lord, I hope not. But then again, why should the south edge of SCR be any different from the north edge? (That was my biting sarcasm). :mellow:

Question: What is this "Kirby Commons" at the NW corner of Kirby and 518? The color-code makes me think it is multi-family housing. Lord, I hope not. But then again, why should the south edge of SCR be any different from the north edge? (That was my biting sarcasm). :mellow:

That track is all commercial. They came with the name Kirby Commons a couple of years ago but I don't think they have any firm plans yet. With the Lowe's coming accross the street and HEB so close, it'd be interesting to see what thype of Anchor store they could score. How about a nice Lifetime Fittness like the one in Cinco Ranch or Sugar Land, surrounded by good few restaurants, a Spec's - law permitting (By the way the one on Pearland Parkway is coming along) and of course a Golf Galaxy.

That track is all commercial. They came with the name Kirby Commons a couple of years ago but I don't think they have any firm plans yet. With the Lowe's coming accross the street and HEB so close, it'd be interesting to see what thype of Anchor store they could score. How about a nice Lifetime Fittness like the one in Cinco Ranch or Sugar Land, surrounded by good few restaurants, a Spec's - law permitting (By the way the one on Pearland Parkway is coming along) and of course a Golf Galaxy.

Well, thank you for giving me hope about it. Almost anything would be better than more apartments or townhomes. (How soon I forget I was a renter for 13 years before moving to ST.... ^_^ )

Kirby Commons plot was originally for townhomes, but now it's commercial.

Any idea what (if anything) will go just north of Hobby Lobby? Nothing on that updated plan. Today it's just a field and retention pond. Hoping it stays that way since it's basically my back yard....

Kirby Commons plot was originally for townhomes, but now it's commercial.

Any idea what (if anything) will go just north of Hobby Lobby? Nothing on that updated plan. Today it's just a field and retention pond. Hoping it stays that way since it's basically my back yard....

I think with the current economy, it's probably going to remain that way for a while... :D

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, so they've broke ground on construction at the northwest corner of the intersection of 518 and Half Moon Bay. Based on the map Chamo found, this should be the new elementary school, right?

You're correct. I guess with all the growth in ST makes sense to have another school closer to 518 in the next couple of years.

Did you see the work on the "Kirby Commons" area that has been going on for a couple of weeks. Looking at the map again, I see two streets, Kirby Commons Drive and Broadway Bend Drive. I think they are already working on those. There is also a sign of a Shadow Creek Square/Village that has been up for a while so I think they will be doing some commercial work on the NW corner of Kirby@518 soon.

• 10 months later...

You called it njvisitor, they updated their site and show all the MF developments on SCR. One of the large tracks of the reserve calls for a third apartment complex on business dr. I feel sorry for the homeowners which backyards go against it, but I guess is a risk they took when building on those lots.

http://www.thereserv...amilyAerial.pdf

Well...... Work has started..... Discovery Apartments SCR

Another complex is being built right now @ 2234 east of Kingsley.

• The title was changed to Developers Can't Get Enough Of Pearland

Archived