I'm Buying A Mod!

Willowisp

I've been holding out awhile from telling the group, but it's time I make an announcement... My wife and I are purchasing the Jenkins house on Willowisp. To honor the house, I've changed my user name (from Strangelight) to Willowisp.

Restoring this house will be a huge challenge, and I know that we are up to the task. If anyone would like to volunteer any services helping out with the restoration project (even if you just want to paint!), I'd be more than happy to take a couple of people on, as I'm sure we are going to have to do so much to get the house in top shape. If anyone knows of historical home grants or tax breaks to apply for, I'd love to hear about that too, pm me.

I would like to offer a BIG public thank you to Robert Searcy and I would like to tell anyone who reads here that I highly recommend him as a real estate agent. This being our first house, he has been completely available to answer our questions and calm our nerves through the process.

We will definitely plan a housewarming party (or two) and let you know about it, probably around the end of the summer. In the meantime, I'll keep you all updated on the restoration of this architectural gem.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, the inspection is tomorrow.

Jason

http://photobucket.com/albums/v729/clockwa...rs/812ac786.jpg

How exciting! I used to own this mod in Willow Meadows, and really enjoyed it. It had been seriously bastardized by the prior owner, but oh it had such potential. Ultimately, I sold it and the current owner doesn't give it nearly the care it deserves.

Again, congrats!

Chris

postcardpic1.jpg

His neighborhood is at S. Post Oak just south of W. Bellfort. I spent about 2 hours just driving around the area looking at mods but the best ones are all on willowisp there near the dead end.

Oh yeah, Strangelight/Willowisp, I suspected your venture when you started talking about traffic noise on S. Post Oak in that other thread.. how funny. :)

Congratulations on your first house! Its great to hear about people that want to restore and preserve instead of remuddle....I wish I currently had the means to buy and properly restore a house.

Also, if you're not already aware, watch out for the floods over there! The TSARP maps show it in the 100 yr floodplain.

Forgive me for my ignorance but what does "Mod" stand for?

My best friend lives off Willowbend and Cliffwood and I have noticed a huge amount of people buying homes in his neighborhood and fixing them up. The yards are well taken care of and the homes are small but very quaint. Very cool neighborhood.

Thanks everyone. I hope I do have the means to fix it up the way it should be. Only time will tell on that, but it was priced as a fixer upper, so there's some good news there...

Mod just means a house with 30's - 60's modern architecture. The one we're getting into had a lot of the features I wanted in a house, like the high ceilings and lots of windows, exposed beams, 2 bedrooms with a folding wall that lets you open it up into one big room, big yard, 2 car garage, a known architect, mostly original. All that's missing is the hard work that turned some off, and the noise and prospect of a toll road going in behind it, which turned others off (and I can't blame them, in some ways). Like Lowbrow said, that little street has 5 Mods in the cul de sac. That was part of the appeal as well. I totally imagined myself driving past these houses every day with a smile on my face. So far everyone I've met has been very friendly also.

I will definitely update when I can, if anything, so others can learn from my mistakes...

Jason

Forgive me for my ignorance but what does "Mod" stand for?

My best friend lives off Willowbend and Cliffwood and I have noticed a huge amount of people buying homes in his neighborhood and fixing them up. The yards are well taken care of and the homes are small but very quaint. Very cool neighborhood.

Thanks everyone.  I hope I do have the means to fix it up the way it should be.  Only time will tell on that, but it was priced as a fixer upper, so there's some good news there...

Mod just means a house with 30's - 60's modern architecture.  The one we're getting into had a lot of the features I wanted in a house, like the high ceilings and lots of windows, exposed beams, 2 bedrooms with a folding wall that lets you open it up into one big room, big yard, 2 car garage, a known architect, mostly original.  All that's missing is the hard work that turned some off, and the noise and prospect of a toll road going in behind it, which turned others off (and I can't blame them, in some ways).  Like Lowbrow said, that little street has 5 Mods in the cul de sac.  That was part of the appeal as well.  I totally imagined myself driving past these houses every day with a smile on my face.  So far everyone I've met has been very friendly also.

I will definitely update when I can, if anything, so others can learn from my mistakes...

Jason

Jason,

am I right in assuming your moving off of Willowbend?

You definitely picked a gem. When you have finished with the updates you ought to get a hold of the Houston AIA and let them know so they can update their listing in their guidebook.

It is great to see a preservationist in the making!!!! Congrats!!! :)

I can't wait til the leaves come back to the trees, like they are in that picture...

Yes, someone must save 330 Electra!!! It was out of our price range and too far out of town for us, but it has such great historical significance (as anyone who reads this probably already knows). If a builder buys it and knocks it down we will need to hold a vigil or chain ourselves to it.

Jason

The listing agent is marketing it as a tear down at that price.

this is the kinda ____ i can't stand about this city. in the 7 1/2 years i have lived here, i have seen way too many architecturally significant buildings/ homes torn down, only to be replaced by some non-descrpit cookie-cutter POS. :angry:

Archived