Super Tuesday Scoreboard

RedScare

Results starting to trickle in.

Republicans...

West Virginia Caucusses go for Huckabee. Romney accuses McCain of dirty tricks for giving his votes to Huck. Sounds kinda strange coming from the party that revered Karl Rove's brilliant political strategies for 8 years, and especially since this is the way caucusses work.

Democrats...

Geogia has been called for Obama. Still undecided is how many delegates it net hims.

Off topic, but amusing...

McCain has been using John Mellancamp's 'This Is Our Country', that schmarmy patriotic trash that Mellancamp, Springsteen and Lee Greenwood (and Chevy Trucks) go to whenever they need cheap ratings gimmicks. However, Mellancamp, a Democrat, called foul.

This Is NOT Your Country

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me try to reformat this post to look more useful. All states listed are projected winners by NBC News.

Republican

McCain

Concecticutt

New Jersey

Illinois

Delaware

New York

Oklahoma

Arizona

Romney

Massachusetts

Utah (big surprise)

North Dakota

Huckabee

West Virginia

Arkansa (stunning ;) )

Alabama

Tennessee

Georgia

Democrats

Clinton

Tennessee

Oklahoma

Arkansas (stunning ;) )

Massachusetts (In spite of Ted Kennedy's Obama endorsement)

New York

New Jersey

Obama

Georgia

Illinois

Delaware

North Dakota

Utah

Kansas

Minnesota

Idaho

Connecticutt

Well, that didn't work. Let's try again. Much better.

Minnesota and Utah also for Obama.

And Obama's loss in Massachusetts isn't surprising. Obama did cut a substantial lead that Hillary had.

Edit: Looks like Obama will be getting Delaware, Minnesota (looks like it), Illinois, Utah, North Dakota, Connecticut (looks like it), Alabama, and Georgia have been for Obama. Don't forget Kansas, Colorado, and Idaho.

I think this is up to date as of 11:30 pm.

Republicans

McCain

Concecticutt

New Jersey

Illinois

Delaware

New York

Oklahoma

Arizona

California

Missouri

Romney

Massachusetts

Utah (big surprise)

North Dakota

Minnesota

Montana

Colorado

Huckabee

West Virginia

Arkansa (stunning )

Alabama

Tennessee

Georgia

Democrats

Clinton

Tennessee

Oklahoma

Arkansas (stunning )

Massachusetts (In spite of Ted Kennedy's Obama endorsement)

New York

New Jersey

Arizona

California

Obama

Georgia

Illinois

Delaware

North Dakota

Utah

Kansas

Minnesota

Idaho

Connecticutt

Alabama

Colorado

Missouri

Alaska

Obama wins in Missourah thanks to St Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia (college town).

What is really telling to me is the sheer raw numbers that are overwhelmingly voting Democrat. Sure, states like Massachusetts, New York, and Illinois aren't all that surprising but the differences in total votes cast for each side is staggering. Think about it, more people voted for Obama in New York than ALL of the Republican candidates combined and he lost to Hillary by over 300,000 votes!

However, what has to have the RNC concerned is that more people voted for Dems than Reps in swing states like Missouri and New Hampshire as well as in traditional red states like Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Thanks for the info, Red. It helps to have something solid to look at instead of the piecemeal information they parse out on the news. I'm interested in politics, but I like to think I have a life enough not to really CARE that much about super Tuesday. Particularly since I pretty much decided who I'm going to vote for.

Still, there are more than a few conservatives out there that are ready to slit their throats. Where is Sweeny Todd when you need him?

Huckabee for President of the Confederacy! ...look where he's winning... Romney has spent (or will spend) on the order of $50M of his own money on this thing. I bet he's feeling real good about now, regarding that investment.

Looks like the Texas Democratic primary will be pretty important. It has been a while since a Texas Democrat's vote meant much in a presidential race (unless you traded it with a Nader swing state voter).

I wonder if McCain will strike a deal with Huckabee? Get him to stay in the race as long as Romney is there and then join the ticket as VP. Or do the anti-McCain Republicans now rally around Huckabee and dump Romney. Don't think there are many southern states left.

Looks like the Texas Democratic primary will be pretty important. It has been a while since a Texas Democrat's vote meant much in a presidential race (unless you traded it with a Nader swing state voter).

I wonder if McCain will strike a deal with Huckabee? Get him to stay in the race as long as Romney is there and then join the ticket as VP. Or do the anti-McCain Republicans now rally around Huckabee and dump Romney. Don't think there are many southern states left.

I would hope that they would see Romney as a more electable canidate than Huckabee. McCain is more of the same stuff that Bush has pulled the last 4 years, just more socially left.

Okay not sure how this is great exposure for the city other than to pimp itself out to serve the needs of Clinton. She hasn't given a damn about showing her face down here, until she's in dire need of the delegates here. If she were in a landslide advantage, as she and her campaign managers assumed they would be in at this point, would they be debating down here? Hell no they wouldn't. This is a huge turning point for her campaign. With the split so close in the California Primary, all of a sudden now Texas is important. BULLSHEET. She hasn't given a damn about any issues here up to now, but all of a sudden she's going to have all the compassion to run down here to debate on the home turf. More self serving politics, where were they last year, or the year before. When Houston opened it's doors to hundreds of thousands of displaced people from Louisiana, was she down here at least giving them a pat on the back? Ten dollars to a nickle, if she makes her appearance down here, that all she's going to talk about is how great and proud she was of the City of Houston, and how important they are to her. BULLSHEET AGAIN!

Well, it is a debate, not a campaign speech, so no, she won't be pimping Houston. The exposure will be by the fact that the network covering the debate will be talking about Houston, not the two candidates.

As for Ms. Clinton and Texas, the state has traditionally provided much of both Clintons' campaign donations. Both Clintons have spent time here collecting donations, and very much appreciating Texas Democratic generosity. It just doesn't get much airplay, since they are campaign dinners that all candidates do. Hillary Clinton is well liked in Texas Democratic circles. Hopefully, for Obama, not too well liked, but well liked nonetheless.

As of last night, here is how the vote breakdown looks between Democrats and Republicans in states that have held primaries in which all candidates were on the ballot (does not include Michigan).

17,051,738 Dems

11,405,307 Reps

5,646,431 margin

Republicans have turned out in larger numbers in Alabama, Arizona (McCain's home state), Florida, and Utah.

Democrats have turned out in larger numbers in Arkansas (Huckabee's home state), California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois (Obama), Massachusetts (Romney), Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York (Clinton), Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

When turnout for Clinton and Obama is higher in states like Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Tennessee, the RNC has to be very worried. Hopefully the Dems will be smart enough to offer a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket. If they can pull that off, this election might just be a demoralizing defeat for the Republicans.

As of last night, here is how the vote breakdown looks between Democrats and Republicans in states that have held primaries in which all candidates were on the ballot (does not include Michigan).

17,051,738 Dems

11,405,307 Reps

5,646,431 margin

Republicans have turned out in larger numbers in Alabama, Arizona (McCain's home state), Florida, and Utah.

Democrats have turned out in larger numbers in Arkansas (Huckabee's home state), California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois (Obama), Massachusetts (Romney), Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York (Clinton), Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

When turnout for Clinton and Obama is higher in states like Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Tennessee, the RNC has to be very worried. Hopefully the Dems will be smart enough to offer a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket. If they can pull that off, this election might just be a demoralizing defeat for the Republicans.

Or a demorilizing defeat for the country..

Red evidently you didn't watch the last so called debate, it was more of a butt kissing contest, and basically turned into campaign speeches instead of discussing issues and solutions to them.

No, I didn't watch the last debate, but it would not change a single word of my post. Clinto is very popular among Texas Democrats. Now that Texas appears to have become important to the Democratic primary process, it makes perfect sense to hold a debate here. I would imagine oil and energy would be part of the debate. I look forward to it.

My fear is that if Clinton appears anywhere on the ticket, those primary party numbers will become meaningless. I think she has the power to motivate Republican voters.

My fear is that if Clinton appears anywhere on the ticket, those primary party numbers will become meaningless. I think she has the power to motivate Republican voters.

While Clinton may anger a certain segment of the GOP, it tends to be the same group that can't stand McCain. How motivated will the neo-con demographic be, if their only choice is to vote for someone else that angers them. I realize that conservatives love to throw that angle out there, and I am sure a few people may vote who otherwise would not have, but the bigger problem is not the ultra-conservative fringe...who already votes...but, the moderate middle of the GOP, who may not have the energy to go vote.

A good example of this can be found in the 2004 election. It is hard to understate the vitriol that Democrats have for Bush, yet at election time, it did not carry a weak Democratic candidate to victory. 2008 could be a repeat of 2004, with the roles reversed.

There is the rub.

If Clinton is on the ticket, Republicans will show up in force.

I saw somewhere that she easily has the highest negative rating of all the candidates.

Okay not sure how this is great exposure for the city other than to pimp itself out to serve the needs of Clinton. She hasn't given a damn about showing her face down here, until she's in dire need of the delegates here. If she were in a landslide advantage, as she and her campaign managers assumed they would be in at this point, would they be debating down here? Hell no they wouldn't. This is a huge turning point for her campaign. With the split so close in the California Primary, all of a sudden now Texas is important. BULLSHEET. She hasn't given a damn about any issues here up to now, but all of a sudden she's going to have all the compassion to run down here to debate on the home turf. More self serving politics, where were they last year, or the year before. When Houston opened it's doors to hundreds of thousands of displaced people from Louisiana, was she down here at least giving them a pat on the back? Ten dollars to a nickle, if she makes her appearance down here, that all she's going to talk about is how great and proud she was of the City of Houston, and how important they are to her. BULLSHEET AGAIN!

I totally agree! Clinton wants the free exposure and free publicity of a debate in a state she had probably assumed she wouldn't have to do much campaigning in.

I saw somewhere that she easily has the highest negative rating of all the candidates.

Even higher than John McCain amongst conservative Republicans? The way they have been trashing him has been pretty vicious. Didn't Ronald Reagan say something about bad-mouthing other Republicans? Guess conservatives are somewhat selective about listening to what Reagan had to say. Anyway, the GOP seems somewhat demoralized. I don't think they will turn out regardless of who the Dems run. It's pretty sad when a party pins their hopes on who the other guy is running as opposed to backing their own candidate.

Okaaaaaaay calm down. You do know that Texas hasn't mattered in any presidential election in over 40 years? What candidate goes to anything other than fundraisers after the primaries? Answer: None. It's a one-party state, so there's no battle for votes here, therefore this state is always left out in the cold when it comes to bringing stuff back here.

Archived