Meadowbrook Arches

"enhancing the charms of a wonderful natural environment of woods meadows and winding bayous"

Look at the background of the arch and you see rows of forest or tall trees. It just boggles my mind to imagine that there probably was very tall pines and Spanish moss, etc. Spanish moss has been used as a decorative motif for Spanish style villas.

The tall pines around the arches were probably very similar to the tall pines (loblolly or ponderosa) that are found at the Glenbrook park and swimming pool. This type of pine is usually very old, and alsofound at the Gus Wortham park/golf course.

P.S. you can see them in the swimming pics from Vertigo58.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The tall pines around the arches were probably very similar to the tall pines (loblolly or ponderosa) that are found at the Glenbrook park and swimming pool. This type of pine is usually very old, and alsofound at the Gus Wortham park/golf course.

P.S. you can see them in the swimming pics from Vertigo58.

Yes, those tall pines are still around in some spots. It could be they were even on the West side of 45 as Howard turned into Bellfort. I forget they change names as you pass under 45. Correction to make is the spot where the West Arch stood is a Pep Boys store not Autozone as I mistakenly mentioned above somewhere. I took a drive this weekend to solve the mystery. It was Arizona Street where we always turned off to head to the pool! I also noticed that church on the corner of Arizona/Howard says Meadowbrook Church however about a block away some business says Glenbrook so it still can confuse others.

I cleary remember our car barely missing golf balls as they flew in front or behind us as we drove from or to the pool! :lol:

It was Arizona Street where we always turned off to head to the pool! I also noticed that church on the corner of Arizona/Howard says Meadowbrook Church however about a block away some business says Glenbrook so it still can confuse others.

I cleary remember our car barely missing golf balls as they flew in front or behind us as we drove from or to the pool! :lol:

Haha...that's so true...we used to walk thru the golfcourse, to that park that slopes in Park Place, Charlton Park? There are some neat Cape Cods in there.

So you didn't notice the spanish house on Glenview, across from where the clubhouse stood? wish I had the address. Anyone?

• 5 weeks later...

Another one sits directly across (I figure) from where the ballroom would have been. Address: 8222 Glenview. The other Spanish house sits at the corner of Arizona & Glenview, 2 houses down from this one. Has a concrete street marker.The appraisal records show this one, with arch windows, as being built in 1950, don't know if I believe that. Looks older to me. These 2 houses have always seemed like they were out of place. Even with the mixture of builders that are found in Meadowbrook. Believe they could have had something to do with the original Clubhouse.

Always remember seeing that Spanish Hacienda style house as we headed to the pool. Reminds me so much of SoCal. :P

It's a miracle the golf course building and parking lot was so crowded the other day. I felt it had surely been closed due to lack of membership/participation. How in the world does the golf course and house get funded $. By us taxpayer's?

It's a shame the ballroom never was rebuilt. It can still be done. Dreaming.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this aerial view of where one of the Meadowbrook arches would have been.

Look at : Aerial View looking South at Bellfort (it was mislabeled as Eastex)

It shows Berry Creek, original path of Galveston Railway(N)

Fire station behind Boat store...where Jack In the Box is (winkler). Apts not built yet. (E)

spot of Meadowbrook arch ? white spot (W) Bellfort (other side of Howard Dr)

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Houston/histor...ic_photos.shtml

Does anyone agree?

Nena,

One of the guys up above says he remembers the arch very well and its exact location. Said they actually got to climb the stairs, etc.

By the way that link is one of the best I have yet to see on HAIF. :P

Afraid I can't take sole credit for that link, others on HAIF have talked about it before, believe Musicman has mentioned it...it's a good one, isn't it! those b/w pics of early development are the best.

• 2 weeks later...
Very possible. What I clearly remember about this neighborhood was that it was very nice and well kept. Most residents hired groundskeepers to professionally do the yard work.

We had commented of it on an old thread, especially the Glenbrook Pool area. I think someone corrected me on that. We always called in Glenbrook Pool which contradicts Meadowbrook name? I recently scanned some old 68-69 Polaroid color pics of the pool and kiddies when we used to go. Maybe will slap on here later. Its that olympic sized tower that used to blow everyone away. Oops straying from topic.

Yes, a high over head arch must have looked great! Maybe had to be removed after past Hurricane's?

Uh... yeah, looking down at the water from the top tier of that tower was quite scary when I was a kid! :huh: I think I had to go lower. I occasionally take freight trains down Old Galveston road, next to the old neighborhood. I don't remember any arches, either.

Uh... yeah, looking down at the water from the top tier of that tower was quite scary when I was a kid! :huh: I think I had to go lower. I occasionally take freight trains down Old Galveston road, next to the old neighborhood. I don't remember any arches, either.

and the worse thing you could ever do was go to the edge of the tower platform look down and then back up undecided, go look down again, back up (while everyone below is shouting chicken & to jump) and then go down. I never did of course :blush: I always jumped (pride & shame) Ja ja! I clearly remember if you hit the water in the slightest wrong angle, it hurt like hell! Butt and legs all reddish!

Yep those arches were well gone by the time we all came around. Bummer...

The house at the corner of Glenview and Arizona right across the street from the course that was Spanish style with the large patio area was owned for many years by and still may be owned by the Olson family. I graduated from high school at Milby with one of the brothers and his father Charles Olson was a PE coach at Jackson Jr. High School where I went in the 7th through 9th grade. The older brother Robert Olson was the pro at the Glenbrook Golf Course for several years. Behind the pool across the ditch is where my mother in law still lives.

If you want to see something really interesting do a search on MSN Live maps of the area and go to the end of Neal towards the bayou. Switch your view to birds eye and take a look at the dome house that sits there. Its made of all concrete and is two stories. In the middle of the house is a huge pipe organ that the owner, a doctor likes to play. The house is quite interesting.

Glenbrook course is where I learned to play golf and where my Milby golf team practiced in high school.

Thanks, Brerrabbit, I'll look that up. I love studying aerial maps. Don't recall the name Olson, may have been a little before my time (Milby). My girlfriend grew up in the nabe to the right of the pool, on East Villa.

Nena,

What year did you graduate from Milby? Both my wife and I graduated in 1977 and she grew up in that neighborhood. We both knew a lot of people there, and her mother still lives on Neal.

1980, as mentioned on the recent post subject "Which High School did you attend?". My sister (1979),mom(late 1950's), dad(couple yrs before her), aunt (same yr. as mom)and grandmother (1926?, I'm guessing) did as well. :D

The house at the corner of Glenview and Arizona right across the street from the course that was Spanish style with the large patio area was owned for many years by and still may be owned by the Olson family. I graduated from high school at Milby with one of the brothers and his father Charles Olson was a PE coach at Jackson Jr. High School where I went in the 7th through 9th grade. The older brother Robert Olson was the pro at the Glenbrook Golf Course for several years.

My big brother always would point at that corner house and say thats where Coach Olson lives. When I passed about 2 months ago there were several people around. Saw a boat in the drive which is very rare in them there parts. Maybe thats a sign they are still there? We breifly discussed the coaches at Jackson under Stonewall Jackson JR High topic. Under East End section of course. I'll never forget Coach Shoemaker from SF Austin? I got mixed up and thought he lived at that corner house.

I just love passing around this area brings back such great old memories. Whenever SUMMER time rolled around we kids became regulars at that pool. I imagine neighbors got used to the upswing in auto traffic those summers and the loud kids! Ja ja! :P

I played baseball with Coach Shoemakers sons as well as with Coach Herman's from Jackson Jr High.

My mother-in-law's house backs up to the pool and she still gets to hear all the kids at the pool come summer time.

The neighborhood and the people in it have changed significantly over the years.

Thanks to all of you. I moved to Meadowbrook in 1944. Lived on Barkley untill 1954.

The arches were across Howard Drive. They didn't cross Old Galveston Rd. They were covered in a Spanish style stucco. I can show you were they stood. In those days they were at each end of Howard Drive. They were the favorite places for the kids to sneak off to and smoke those cigaretts. LOL. You could get all the way up in the arches if you knew how to open the door. One was located about where the end of Nothern Tools lot stops. That put it right at the Interurban Stop. Everthing from there to Telephone Rd was Mr. Dubose's pasture. ...

Where are you, rta144? can you verify the west arch location, on the aerial map I show in one of my posts? I think it would be where the sandy spot is, with a curved road... just curious...thnx

Incidentally, the Dubose name I have seen linked with The Tel-Wink Grill (probably on the postcard). huhmm.

Where are you, rta144? can you verify the west arch location, on the aerial map I show in one of my posts? I think it would be where the sandy spot is, with a curved road... just curious...thnx

Incidentally, the Dubose name I have seen linked with The Tel-Wink Grill (probably on the postcard). huhmm.

What a drag! Looks as if the photo of the arches above has been deleted or expired? Glad I printed to show the family before it vanished.

Yes, one of the posters above mentioned they used to climb up and go inside the arches and peer down at the cars passing underneath. I tried to pin point by description he made as being almost about where the present Autozone auto parts is and the gas station across the street or near corner rather of 45 at Bellfort?

Sadly, an Arch like this would never work in the area now. It would get graffitied, bullet riddled or wrecked into and become an injury liability to thugs. The world is just too corrupt now then it was then it seems anyway. -_- People just behaved then.

If you want to see something really interesting do a search on MSN Live maps of the area and go to the end of Neal towards the bayou. Switch your view to birds eye and take a look at the dome house that sits there. Its made of all concrete and is two stories. In the middle of the house is a huge pipe organ that the owner, a doctor likes to play. The house is quite interesting.

Interesting, I usually use GoogleEarth, this site has nice options...saw posts about that house when it was being constructed. Why did he place it sooo clooose to the water? Don't think I would do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Glenbrook pool has a "twin", diving board/platform w/olympic pool, off of the beltway, @ Spring Branch. (Campbell St. area) Does anyone know about it? Bye the way, that Glenbrook tower needs a good paint job.

PS Vertigo, I "could be" in that avatar pic of yours of the pool. :lol:

Glenbrook pool has a "twin", diving board/platform w/olympic pool, off of the beltway, @ Spring Branch. (Campbell St. area) Does anyone know about it? Bye the way, that Glenbrook tower needs a good paint job.

PS Vertigo, I "could be" in that avatar pic of yours of the pool. :lol:

All us kids used to create a conga line and go around the pool. Mom always had a camera handy. Even the name Polaroid sounds dated. Ja ja!

and your right your probably in the background or in line!

The lifeguard's wouldn't allow us to do The Bunnyhop too slippery... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about asking a question and then droping from sight. Been out of town and under the weather.

In the ariel photo that was posted if you go to the corner of the freeway and Belfort, turn right, just before you get to the split you can see where the old fence lines were (running North and South). There is also a rise in the road as you drive over it. That is where the tracks were. The Arch was just before the fence line.

At the other end of Howard @ Arizona if you look at the sidewalks you will see that part of it comes to the corner and makes a right angle turn. There is also a circular part set back from the corner. You could walk up to the corner thru the arch or walk around if you were turning the corner.

I have posted a request on our Milby alumni page for photos. There were about 30 are so kids in Meadowbrook in the 40's and 50's.

Seem most of the posters lived in Meadowbrook after my time.

Thanks Ron

Sorry about asking a question and then droping from sight. Been out of town and under the weather.

In the ariel photo that was posted if you go to the corner of the freeway and Belfort, turn right, just before you get to the split you can see where the old fence lines were (running North and South). There is also a rise in the road as you drive over it. That is where the tracks were. The Arch was just before the fence line.

At the other end of Howard @ Arizona if you look at the sidewalks you will see that part of it comes to the corner and makes a right angle turn. There is also a circular part set back from the corner. You could walk up to the corner thru the arch or walk around if you were turning the corner.

I have posted a request on our Milby alumni page for photos. There were about 30 are so kids in Meadowbrook in the 40's and 50's.

Thanks Ron

You have done a great job of providing great historical info for everyone, Thanks a Mil Ron!

and please add more when possible. :)

Thanks Ron

We always appreciate historical info. from someone who was there, especially! Spent my childhood going down Howard Dr., who would have known, Arches? As Vertigo said, Thanks Ron! This is one of my favorite topics.

• 9 months later...
As a kid I lived in Meadowbrook during the forties and fiftys. At each end of Howard Drive were two big arches. I am trying to find some photos of them. If you can give me a push in the right direction I would sure appreciate it.

We moved to Meadowbrook, 8128 Barkley (across street & few houses down from Ron?), in 1945 & I lived there until I joined the USAF in '63, age 18. I have some vague memory of arches, but they must have been torn down by mid '50s, when I started wandering the neighborhood.

The little (900 +/- sq.ft.) house we lived in was built in late '30s or (very) early 40s, as were most on the 8100 block. There were a few houses on Barkley that were "probably" from late '20s - and some that were post war. Last time I drove through there, maybe 6 or 7 years ago, it looked pretty rough - nothing like it did when I was a kid.

Ernie Hurst

We moved to Meadowbrook, 8128 Barkley (across street & few houses down from Ron?), in 1945 & I lived there until I joined the USAF in '63, age 18. I have some vague memory of arches, but they must have been torn down by mid '50s, when I started wandering the neighborhood.

The little (900 +/- sq.ft.) house we lived in was built in late '30s or (very) early 40s, as were most on the 8100 block. There were a few houses on Barkley that were "probably" from late '20s - and some that were post war. Last time I drove through there, maybe 6 or 7 years ago, it looked pretty rough - nothing like it did when I was a kid.

Ernie Hurst

Welcome! I always liked Meadowbrook for it's diversity in house types, styles, & lot sizes. They were also a mix of 1 & 2 stories, with differing yrs. built, including a few small 1960's apts. The 'hood I grew up in was cookie-cutter, all very similar one-stories.

Welcome! I always liked Meadowbrook for it's diversity in house types, styles, & lot sizes. They were also a mix of 1 & 2 stories, with differing yrs. built, including a few small 1960's apts. The 'hood I grew up in was cookie-cutter, all very similar one-stories.

Houses on each "end" of the neighborhood (streets by golf course & one or two on southeast end) were upscale (brick houses built late '40s or early '50s, I think) compared to most & *way* upscale compared to "dogpatch" section, on Elrod, Bendell & a couple other streets. Most apartments that I'm aware of (along Winkler & one small unit on Barkley) were built in the '50s or *very* early '60s. Meadowbrook was a good place to grow up in the '50s & early '60s. My mother lived there until '75 & it wasn't too bad then, but the last 30+ years have not been too kind to it.

Ernie Hurst

Archived