Meadowbrook Arches

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had no clue there were "arches" on Howard Drive. I grew up in Oak Meadows,my best friend lived in Meadowbrook, traveled many a day down that street, in the 1960's. Will see what I can find out.

Had no clue there were "arches" on Howard Drive. I grew up in Oak Meadows,my best friend lived in Meadowbrook, traveled many a day down that street, in the 1960's. Will see what I can find out.

We always went to Glenbrook Pool (next to the golf course) in the late 60's to early 70's and I never recall seeing any arches either? That is Howard Drive that we used as main netry to the pool too. I too am bewildered. :)

It is possible they became a hazard and were removed. The one of the ones over at Lawndale in Country Club Place toppled over about 5 years ago and was rebuilt after a few months. Ground becomes very squishy after heavy rains and they are just too heavy. So this person could be correct.

As a kid I lived in Meadowbrook during the forties and fiftys. At each end of Howard Drive were two big arches. I am trying to find some photos of them. If you can give me a push in the right direction I would sure appreciate it.

i talked to an old timer a few years back and she told me there was an arch in meadowbook but it went over galveston road. now i could have misunderstood or she might be misremembering (like andy petitte? :P ). but supposedly it was a large structure that went over the roadway and cars drove through/under it.

i talked to an old timer a few years back and she told me there was an arch in meadowbook but it went over galveston road. now i could have misunderstood or she might be misremembering (like andy petitte? :P ). but supposedly it was a large structure that went over the roadway and cars drove through/under it.

Very possible. What I clearly remember about this neighborhood was that it was very nice and well kept. Most residents hired groundskeepers to professionally do the yard work.

We had commented of it on an old thread, especially the Glenbrook Pool area. I think someone corrected me on that. We always called in Glenbrook Pool which contradicts Meadowbrook name? I recently scanned some old 68-69 Polaroid color pics of the pool and kiddies when we used to go. Maybe will slap on here later. Its that olympic sized tower that used to blow everyone away. Oops straying from topic.

Yes, a high over head arch must have looked great! Maybe had to be removed after past Hurricane's?

Very possible. What I clearly remember about this neighborhood was that it was very nice and well kept. Most residents hired groundskeepers to professionally do the yard work.

We had commented of it on an old thread, especially the Glenbrook Pool area. I think someone corrected me on that. We always called in Glenbrook Pool which contradicts Meadowbrook name? I recently scanned some old 68-69 Polaroid color pics of the pool and kiddies when we used to go. Maybe will slap on here later. Its that olympic sized tower that used to blow everyone away. Oops straying from topic.

Yes, a high over head arch must have looked great! Maybe had to be removed after past Hurricane's?

Yes, the Glenbrook Pool sits in what we always referred to as Meadowbrook... :mellow: Glenbrook property may have originally run over into this property. Meadowbrook homes (some of them) seem to be older than Glenbrook homes. Good question! I have noticed that several homes facing the Golf Course, on Glenview (interesting, that's a Glenbrook st.) look like same style as across the freeway, in Glenbrook. Where is Mr. Robt. Searcy? does he know?

Glenbrook valley (50's) came after Glenbrook Country Club and Meadowbrook (both from the 20's/30's).

I figure glenbrook valley borrowed the name from the country club.

now i dunno why they named the country club glenbrook since it was between park place and meadowbrook.

maybe the houses were built in the meadow and the golf course was built in a glen!

these two items are excerpts from a promotional ad in the Houston Post from May 1926.

I copied them from the library about 8 years ago when I was doing research on my house in Park Place.

mgate1688.jpg

mgate3973.jpg

That was funny. Maybe we may never know but it is confusing.

Anyway I hope some of you can view these Glenbrook Pool Polaroids circa 1969-70. This was the focal point for everyone during summer (besides baseball) and I am surprised the Dairy Queen is still in its original spot? A banana split was perfect after swimming for what seemed like all day!

Notice the 3 diving boards. There was the common board (pictured) the high dive in far background and the "scary" tower/platform! As I described in another thread when on top you felt like you are diving or jumping off a building! Most times I just ran and closed my eyes! It was much better (humiliating) than walking over looking down and being called "chicken" by what seemed like a bleacher full of kids.

I say this pool should be considered a historical Houston landmark. We have no others like it at least not in the loop. I wonder if my Marcia Brady look-a-like girlfried is still hanging around waiting for me?

Jump!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb94/rn...Baseball-49.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb94/rn...Baseball-48.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb94/rn...Baseball-47.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb94/rn...Baseball-50.jpg

these two items are excerpts from a promotional ad in the Houston Post from May 1926.

I copied them from the library

That is incredible! I sure wish someone/somewhere could point to the exact spot these once stood? I wonder what it was made of? If I had $$$ I would have them rebuilt but in a place where they would be safe. It appears as if the design was to compliment the Spanish Hacienda or Italinate style of places like Mason & Hermann Park?

but that is awesome none the less! Thanks for sharing that! I cant wait to tell the family! :D

VERY INTERESTING! Had no idea...Thanks for sharing, guys. Will have to ask my mom about that. Did not realize Meadowbrook and Glenbrook Country Club had been there that long. Good info. always leads to more questions.Went swimming many times there. Speaking of the Dairy Queen, directly across the street (Winkler) are some "vintage" apartments I also like. Sixties' River Rock with apt. name written in cursive across it, spiral outside staircases, inside courtyard swimming pools (filled in now). B)

The key map shows the area south of Meadowbrook (other side of Berry Creek), and west of Old Galveston Road as "Glenbrook Industrial".

VERY INTERESTING! Had no idea...Thanks for sharing, guys. Will have to ask my mom about that. Did not realize Meadowbrook and Glenbrook Country Club had been there that long. Good info. always leads to more questions.Went swimming many times there. Speaking of the Dairy Queen, directly across the street (Winkler) are some "vintage" apartments I also like. Sixties' River Rock with apt. name written in cursive across it, spiral outside staircases, inside courtyard swimming pools (filled in now). B)

The key map shows the area south of Meadowbrook (other side of Berry Creek), and west of Old Galveston Road as "Glenbrook Industrial".

It's a miracle those Mod 60's style apts are still there. If you can believe most times all you saw were a few cars parked there. This is when landlords were very strict about renting to "singles" and "couples" ONLY. It was rare that they even allowed childen and if so it was if you had just one.

Next door was that Bonanza Restuarant (now a strip joint). This section of Howard (45to OG) had minimal mom & pop business then. I just recall seeing a few hairdresser's or boutiques and repair shops. Now it has so many cars/trucks parked on the lawn its just ugly. I rather remember how it was then. Perhaps if professionals *snap* and come back, it could turn around to former glory? That seems light years away. :(

By the way GNU, you deserve an award for presenting us with that fantastic piece of Houston history!

Who knows how many other "forgotten" markers have vanished from memory and records?

Thanks to all of you. I moved to Meadowbrook in 1944. Lived on Barkley untill 1954.

The arches were across Howard Drive. They didn't cross Old Galveston Rd. They were covered in a Spanish style stucco. I can show you were they stood. In those days they were at each end of Howard Drive. They were the favorite places for the kids to sneak off to and smoke those cigaretts. LOL. You could get all the way up in the arches if you knew how to open the door. One was located about where the end of Nothern Tools lot stops. That put it right at the Interurban Stop. Everthing from there to Telephone Rd was Mr. Dubose's pasture.

In the 30's and 40's there was a Glenbrook Country Club building. It was on the NE corner of the gold course. It was a Spanish style two story building. My parents took me inside one time. Beautiful big ball room on the second floor. It burned down in the 40's I think. The arches were of the same style and may have been erected by the country club. Meadow Brook Building Company may have built them.

I am going to take a drive around the golf course and refresh my memory of the street names and etc.

Thanks to all of you. I moved to Meadowbrook in 1944. Lived on Barkley untill 1954.

The arches were across Howard Drive. They didn't cross Old Galveston Rd. They were covered in a Spanish style stucco. I can show you were they stood. In those days they were at each end of Howard Drive. They were the favorite places for the kids to sneak off to and smoke those cigaretts. LOL. You could get all the way up in the arches if you knew how to open the door. One was located about where the end of Nothern Tools lot stops. That put it right at the Interurban Stop. Everthing from there to Telephone Rd was Mr. Dubose's pasture.

In the 30's and 40's there was a Glenbrook Country Club building. It was on the NE corner of the gold course. It was a Spanish style two story building. My parents took me inside one time. Beautiful big ball room on the second floor. It burned down in the 40's I think. The arches were of the same style and may have been erected by the country club. Meadow Brook Building Company may have built them.

I am going to take a drive around the golf course and refresh my memory of the street names and etc.

thank you for sharing too!

i remember seeing a map (going from memory here) that shows the west entry to meadowbrook on howard at the interurban having two curved roads...does that make sense?...so the Howard looked like a Y as it went down to northern tool...west of winkler. sort of wrapping around the station... any recollection of anything like that?

I wonder if any news based sources/archives can place the exact date and cause of that fire at the Clubhouse/ballroom? Now I am mystified or curious rather to know what it looked like? It's funny to think that IF those arches had not been removed all these years we would not have thought of the area as Glenbrook. So it really is Meadowbrook, well I'll be a monkey's uncle!

and a special award to you for even creating the topic! Team work.

One final question I promise, Was one of the pair standing where the Jack In The Box a block from 45 is?

Can you imagine how neat that would look now had it been saved? Although by now it would have been in need for major $$$. Who knows maybe the war was part of the reason they did not rebuild them? All or most supplies were being sent overseas or being used for emergency purposes only.

This map shows the location of the arches and where the country club were. I think that the arches were taken down in the early 50's. Maybe someone else will have better data.

Yes the neighborhood was Meadowbrook.

Glenbrook Valley was across the freeway from the golf course. It wasn't developed un till the early fifty's.

post-5477-1205442191_thumb.jpg

These structures where wood framed and stucco on the outside. Red Clay tiles on the top. I can tell you where the one at Old Galveston Rd was located and approximately where the other was.

Inside of the small arches on each side was a door that let you into the inside. They were locked with a pad lock. Most of the kids in the neighborhood could pry the bottom of the door out enough to get in. More fun. We would get up in the top and watch the cars drive under. There was one old lady that lived near the corner. Any time she saw any of us going inside she would call the cops. We had a regular policeman that patroled the neighborhood. We knew him by name and he knew us by name. He would show up and we would have to find a new source of entertainment. Now days we would be hauled to jail as terriost. If we got into too much trouble he would load you up and take you home. That was always bad. Was a great nieghborhood.

Did some checking and found out that we moved there in 1942. Lived at 8111 Barkley. I went into the Marines in Jan. 1954. I came home in 1958, got married and moved to Pasadena. My Mother and Dad moved to Tulsa in 1962.

Ron

No build out. No stairs, just ladder attached to the wall. I think there may have been an office in the small arch as the left, as seen in the illustration above.

I hope some one can come up with some photos. Maybe some of the old country club.

This map shows the location of the arches and where the country club were. I think that the arches were taken down in the early 50's. Maybe someone else will have better data.

Glenbrook Valley was across the freeway from the golf course. It wasn't developed un till the early fifty's.

Very interesting map, came to the same conclusion after looking at Meadowbrook block books tonight, has Glenbrook property maps under it too. I saw "Meadowbrook Dev. Co." on one map. (Also has a map listing for Meadowbrook at Cullen, OST area.) There is a spanish style stucco house that sits on Glenview (or Glenbrook Dr.,depending on what map you are looking at) directly south of where the club house stood. I've always thought it looked out of place. Maybe it was linked to the club.

What is so peculiar is that the arch is on the other side of 45!? But we have to remember that when these archs were built, the Gulf Frwy was not there! (as you stated above) So the arch must have looked pretty nice until that overpass came plowing through circa 1957. Or rather they were gone by the time 45 was made. Could it be possible that during Holiday season the arches were decorated with lights and bells? Santa & sled on top? and it does make sense that it may have been placed there just "temporarily" to attract new home buyers?

Hard to beleive that city records have no actual color photos of the arches? Its a miracle a newspaper clipping was found. :) Surely some past residents would have but as time passes people lose photos or they come apart, etc. Bummer.

This is why it is important to sift/rummage through old photos even at resale/antigue shops. I have found bundles of old photos from people that just tossed out or the relatives passed way and they just didnt care for them. Anyone cares to know where just PM me. They sold for penneys too.

Interesting. As I posted earlier in the thread about East End mansions, Hugo Neuhaus had Harrie T. Lindeberg remodel the original spectacular Sanguinet and Staats Houston Country Club clubhouse with "arcades, pink stucco, and a swimming pool" in 1921. (Thanks to Ben Koush's article in Cite.) I wonder if that was the inspiration for/related to the arches and the Spanish style house mentioned above.

I found a small description from the book Houston, A History & Guide (1942) by the Writers Prog. of the Work Projects Administration in the State of Texas, quote: Ch.10 Sports and Recreation - (pg.219)

"The River Oaks Country Club and Hermann Park golf courses were built in 1923, and those of the Glenbrook and Golfcrest clubs a year later".

Reason for Edit: wrong source listed, sorry guys!

Upon further examination of the sketch/rendering of the arc, notice the phrase:

"enhancing the charms of a wonderful natural environment of woods meadows and winding bayous"

Look at the background of the arch and you see rows of forest or tall trees. It just boggles my mind to imagine that there probably was very tall pines and Spanish moss, etc. Spanish moss has been used as a decorative motif for Spanish style villas.

Just a thought.

and Meadows? wow. :wub:

I found a small description from the book "The Standard History of Houston, Texas" (B.H. Carroll, Jr.) quote: Ch.10 Sports and Recreation - (pg.219)

"The River Oaks Country Club and Hermann Park golf courses were built in 1923, and those of the Glenbrook and Golfcrest clubs a year later".

Sorry. I was mistakenly assuming the Houston Country Club (Gus Wortham) and Glenbrook golf courses were the same. They're not. They're both south of downtown and east of 45, but Glenbrook is farther south. Oops. Then what I said about the Houston Country Club clubhouse is not relevant.

The big trees that are inside the big arch were palm trees. Don't know if any are left now. Going to take a tour tomorrow and refresh my memories. Don't remember the pine trees.

If memory serves right, there is an Autozone on one side (or those ugly apts) and that shop center strip on other side. For arch that stood on or near the "New Highway". It's also possible they would have had to removed this one anyway since the traffic grew more an more. If the palms really once lined all the way to Reveille? By now they would have been too old and maybe died and had to be replaced. All speculation of course. Its strange you mention i do recall seeing old palms but every other block along this stretch.

Honestly now I absolutely avoid this area especially at night. It started going downhill when the nearby Broadway area started going bad (especially around Hobby area). It's ashame since the place had so much promise once. A common occurence in most cities of course. Now I am tempted to investigate. :ph34r:

Archived