I Want A Kindle!

It is interesting.

I'm just curious if you can hold on to your book purchases on computer and such. I'd hate to purchase a book and have to get rid of it to make more room.

What are the additional costs to it? It hinted that some things are charged by saying other things are free.

The best feature of this thing in my opinion is that it can download email and newspaper articles wirelessly without the need for a wifi connection or a subscription, which means you could be riding on the metro, pull it out, and download the latest news to read. It's also got some neat technology in the screen (e-ink).

That being said, an iPhone can do the same thing (download news articles and email wirelessly while on the bus), and it costs less, but it requires a subscription (and it's also a phone). I guess it's not as good for hard core reading, but for what I use it for, the iPhone is the best handheld device I've ever used.

Anyone know about Sony Reader? Looks like the Kindle's main competitor.

Publisher's Weekly had a comparison of the two a couple months ago - seems that the Sony is $100 cheaper, weighs about an ounce less, and has 25,000 titles available through ebooks (versus Kindle's 90,000 available through amazon.com).

Oh - apparently the ebooks have to be downloaded to a computer first then transferred to the Reader.

Looks like they'll have to add wireless capabilities + much more content to keep up.

The Kindle is crap. I want a book reader that is cheap, has a good display, displays any kind of text file I send to it and lets me actually own the content (not just rent it). I don't need a keyboard or email on a book reader. I've already got a phone that lets me read email and surf the net anywhere I go. I'm happy with real books, I just want a book reader to make it easier to lug around all 5 or 10 books I'm reading at any given time.

Archived