Interesting Deco-ish House/Apartment South Of Pearland

marmer

Near as I can tell, it's near the site of the old settlement Hastings, which was built around an oil field in the thirties. Brazoria CAD says it's owned by "Hastings Oil. Co." and was built in 1937. Rooming house for oil workers, maybe? Kind of a stripped-down deco style, sorta reminiscent of the Josephine and Wroxton Court apartments (though more rural) Anyone know anything about it?

P2020003.jpg

"HASTINGS, TEXAS (Brazoria County). Hastings is a residential community that is now within Pearland on State Highway 35 in northern Brazoria County. It was just east of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. The community was the site of a rural school named for a pioneer family before the development of the nearby Hastings oilfield in 1934. In 1949 it was an oilfield community centered around a recycling plant of the Stanolind Oil Company. The local population subsequently declined, and by 1982 only an abandoned railroad station and scattered dwellings remained at the site."

The BCAD site says the building was built in 1937. If that's correct, the building is probably not the school. (Doesn't really look like a rural school anyhow.) Maybe the railroad station? Or a workers' residence, as suggested?

For a Google Maps view - search on "17409 Highway 35, Pearland, Brazoria, Texas 77581, United States".

I don't know the true story but having grown up in SE Houston and taking many a trip down 35 as a kid on my way to West Columbia I have heard lots of rumors. At one point I heard that it served for some time as a meterologiccal facility. In later years I have heard that a family lived there and that one of their children was severely disturbed. I have no idea what the truth is. I do however know some long time Pearland residents who I can ask about it. Maybe Wednesday night when I go to church I can ask a few people about it.

Thanks! Yes, all I had been able to find was the BrazCAD and HOT Online stuff. I guess it might have been the school, or maybe an apartment for workers, or maybe even the oil co. offices. But it would be nice to know. BTW, Live Search has been updated with more birds-eyes, including Pearland and Lake Jackson. You can see the house pretty well from that.

A real estate listing from nextag said it was a four bedroom single-family home (doubt how accurate that information is, though).

More about Hastings Oil Field:

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/...es/HH/doh1.html

Appears that Hastings Oil isn't in good standing any longer:

http://ecpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/servlet/cp..._ID=17406742142

A real estate listing from nextag said it was a four bedroom single-family home (doubt how accurate that information is, though).

Saw that. It actually said four _bath_ which is what gave me the apartment/office idea. I suspect it is not accurate and was drawn by some robot from the BrazCAD listing. Of course the 1937 date is from BrazCAD and we know that such dates can be inaccurate.

Saw that too.

Appears that Hastings Oil isn't in good standing any longer:

http://ecpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/servlet/cp..._ID=17406742142

Did not see that. Thanks!

I went to the birdseye view on windows. Very good shots. I wonder what the tall round brick silo looking thing in the backyard was used for? How did you ever find this? Looks like its pretty hard to see from 35. I have to go check this out.

I went to the birdseye view on windows. Very good shots. I wonder what the tall round brick silo looking thing in the backyard was used for? How did you ever find this? Looks like its pretty hard to see from 35. I have to go check this out.

I've lived in Pearland for the last eighteen years, and when driving south on 35 I would always go "whoa, what was THAT?" It used to be more visible before the trees grew so much. Last weekend I had both the camera and time on my hands, so I went ahead and took some pictures. It is a little hard to see from any angle other than looking up the driveway. I was wondering about the silo, too? Cistern maybe, or silo?

I've looked several different places to try to learn more about this building. I've learned a lot about Hastings and the oil field (there has been lots of litigation involving the latter), but have found nothing about the building. The closest I got was one newspaper article from the 40's that mentioned that Brazoria County was setting up Red Cross disaster shelters (for future emergencies) and that, in addition to some local schools, a building in the Stanolind "camp" in the Hastings Oil Field would serve as a shelter. It doesn't say what the building was, though, and it may not even be the same building.

I saw an old ad for an event at the "Hastings Ballroom", but it just gave general directions to Hastings. I also saw that the old Pearland High School building, which isn't far away, was built in 1937 - just thought that was an interesting coincidence, assuming the CAD date is correct.

Seems like a long-time Pearland, Alvin, or even Friendswood resident would know something about the place.

I'm thinking about driving out there this weekend.

I've looked several different places to try to learn more about this building. I've learned a lot about Hastings and the oil field (there has been lots of litigation involving the latter), but have found nothing about the building. The closest I got was one newspaper article from the 40's that mentioned that Brazoria County was setting up Red Cross disaster shelters (for future emergencies) and that, in addition to some local schools, a building in the Stanolind "camp" in the Hastings Oil Field would serve as a shelter. It doesn't say what the building was, though, and it may not even be the same building.

Yeah, me too. The Hastings field seems to be owned now by Venoco, which is having some success extracting more oil.

I saw an old ad for an event at the "Hastings Ballroom", but it just gave general directions to Hastings. I also saw that the old Pearland High School building, which isn't far away, was built in 1937 - just thought that was an interesting coincidence, assuming the CAD date is correct.

I don't think that would be this building -- it doesn't seem to have enough floor space to be a ballroom. Yes, the old PHS building is now part of the Admin complex, I think, or maybe Jr. High West. There are some nice deco details, and I believe the architect was Stayton Nunn. I didn't think it was built that long ago so I may be thinking of a later building. I'm not sure the building I'm thinking of "isn't far away" -- it's at least five miles from the Hastings building.

Seems like a long-time Pearland, Alvin, or even Friendswood resident would know something about the place.

I'm thinking about driving out there this weekend.

One of the links sevfiv provided listed a "C H Alexander" as the local agent for the Hastings Oil Co. There's a John Alexander listed in the phone book at 17414 Highway 35 and a prominent, large local family named Alexander, though none of them seem to be named something beginning with C or H.

I have e-mailed the Pearland Historical Society and we'll see what they say.

One of the links sevfiv provided listed a "C H Alexander" as the local agent for the Hastings Oil Co. There's a John Alexander listed in the phone book at 17414 Highway 35 and a prominent, large local family named Alexander, though none of them seem to be named something beginning with C or H.

I have e-mailed the Pearland Historical Society and we'll see what they say.

The Officers and Directors Information link from that link lists a JB Alexander as well with a Kingwood address

I didn't make it to church Wednesday night to ask anyone about the house but did run into someone who has lived in Pearland a long time. According to them the place was definately lived in as a residence as little as four years ago. The people that lived there attended our church. Once again hopefully this Sunday I will learn some more about the house.

I received a reply from the president of the Pearland Historical Foundation, posted below:

The building is on the site of the C. H. Alexander family's home. In the early 30's Mr. C. H. Alexander was a hay farmer and the Stanolind oil company discovered oil in the Hastings field between Pearland and Alvin. Stanolind drilled several very productive oil wells on the Alexander property and eventually Mr. Alexander started his own oil company called Hastings Oil Co. The Alexander home was a very big and pretty white house which is no longer on the property. Sometime in the 40's the Alexanders decided to build the brick building you are referring to. It was used as an office building for Hastings Oil Company; and I believe they tried to lease out office space to other tenents but as far as I know it was only occupied by Hastings Oil Company. I have no idea for what the building is currently being used. I am sure it is still in the Alexander family.

Another member of the Foundation remembered it as "that brick house that used to have the oil derrick in the yard"

Interesting. BrazCAD still lists that as belonging to Hastings Oil Co. but a lot of the surrounding land belongs to various Alexanders or Alexander family trusts.

I went to the Pearland library today, and consulted three locally-produced books about the history of Pearland. All of them mentioned the Alexander family and the Hastings oil field; apparently the tax revenue from the Hastings oil field was very beneficial to the then small town. However, there were no more details than that. One of the members of the Pearland Historical Society said that the derrick formerly in front of the Hastings office building was moved to the front of Pearland High School when the new school was built. There is a definitely a small oil derrick in front of Pearland High School now so that may be the same one. Would still like to find out more about the building -- architect, uses, etc. There's nothing like it anywhere in the area.

• 1 month later...

Thanks marmur for the nice pic. It really has some beautiful brickwork, details on it. Wondering, from the aerial shot, what is the rusty building unattached, behind the brick structure? I imagine the cistern looking round structure could be associated with a well.

Like brerabbit, I made many a trip down Hwy 35 growing up, that house and property always caught my eye. Always a huge palm tree in front of those vintage properties. Sadly, sometimes a "tall palm & an empty lot" are the only clues that an old building was there.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to gravedig this old post, but I know people are interested. Thanks to a tip from strickn, I was able to contact a member of the Alexander family. He gave me permission to share this info:

The Hastings Oil Company building was built by my grandfather, Charles H. Alexander. He designed and guided the construction. There was no architect involved as far as I know and I have never seen any drawings or plans if there ever were any. The construction started about 1937 or 1938.

He first excavated and poured a concrete storm cellar as part of the foundation. From what I have heard from aunts and uncles, he first only planned to build a two room office on top of this foundation. At some point he evidently decided to greatly expand the size of the structure. The first floor included a entrance lobby with bathroom. A dining room which was used for family meetings and meals. A kitchen with large walk-in cooler and freezer and storage areas as well as another bathroom. (An interesting note on the walk-in cooler and freezer. The refrigeration machinery which is housed in its own separate room came from the old Rice Hotel in downtown Houston. It was salvaged from a renovation that was going on in the hotel at the time.)

The second floor has 3 bathrooms and 4 large rooms which were used as living quarters and bedrooms. Construction stopped for a short time after the 2nd floor was finished. The 3rd floor and roof were then added. The 3rd floor interior was never completely finished and this area was only used as storage space. On top of the building a small structure extends above the main roof. This structure houses the elevator machinery.

As for the interesting 1930's art-deco style architectural detailing, I can only speculate on whose idea that was. My grandfather probably collaborated with the man who did almost all of the brickwork on the building. This man was named Jimmy Wortham. I do not know much about him except that he lived in the Conroe area. From what I have been told, he laid almost all of the bricks himself and looking at the work today, he was a master of his craft.. The bricks themselves came from a brick factory in Elgin, Texas and were hauled to Pearland on my grandfather's farm trucks. Some of my aunts and uncles were old enough to help out during the construction. They tell stories of helping to mix the mortar, carry bricks and operating the elevator that hoisted the materials to the upper levels. My grandfather also had men working for him in his farming and oil operations. I am sure that some of these men helped at times on the construction.

The Hastings Oil Company closed their offices in the building in the 1980's.. Since then the structure has been only used for storage and is now in a state of disrepair with a leaking roof and damage caused by vandals.

In response to a later question about the derrick, here is his response:

The derrick in the photo was what is known as a Pumping Derrick. It was used to service the oil well it was erected over. The derrick was about 100 feet tall and so was much larger than the replica derrick in front of Pearland High School. This derrick was blown over in storm about 20 years ago and had to be dismantled.

He was kind enough to share this great picture from me, from 1985. He also said that there have been problems with vandalism and specifically asked me, if I share this information, to ask that people respect his family's private property.

HastingsOilCoBuilding1985.jpg

So now, another mystery. If the Alexander family closed the building in the 80s, what about the family that lived there as recently as 2004 and attended brerrabbit's church?

Thank you marmer, for your diligence. I suppose your contact did not share any future plans for the property? Seems a shame really.

• The title was changed to Interesting Deco-ish House/Apartment South Of Pearland

Archived