Harris County Courthouses And Square

SpaceCity

Man, they need to clean that part of town up hardcore. Everytime I go by there its like walking through a jailhouse since pretty much its all ex cons waiting around the courthouse. I would hate to be a woman and walk by there because all of those criminals whenever I see a lady walk by go, hey baby and are all staring at them and Im sure its not a very pleasant experience for any woman going by there.

• Like 1

Just the thought of spending another day in the Harris county jury room makes me so glad I live in Fort Bend county now. 

Fort Bend county also has courts and there are also jury trials that will require members of the public to serve jury duty.

I would prefer jury duty in downtown Houston to jury duty in Richmond any day.

Edited by nate
  • Like 2

Man, they need to clean that part of town up hardcore. Everytime I go by there its like walking through a jailhouse since pretty much its all ex cons waiting around the courthouse. I would hate to be a woman and walk by there because all of those criminals whenever I see a lady walk by go, hey baby and are all staring at them and Im sure its not a very pleasant experience for any woman going by there.

Clean up that part of town? LOL. Its the courthouses! There is going to be people accused of crimes around there by its very nature. Sorry fellas, no criminals allowed in the courthouse, you're just going to have to jump your bond!

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 3

Clean up that part of town? LOL. Its the courthouses! There is going to be people accused of crimes around there by its very nature. Sorry fellas, no criminals allowed in the courthouse, you're just going to have to jump your bond!

lol, you know what i mean, of course there are going to be criminals but that entire part of town is just a slum. They could densify it and clean it up. Most cities you go you dont just see a bunch of criminals hanging around in the cbd and bail bonds located on every corner in an area that supposed to be the pride and joy of a city, its cbd.

• Like 1

Fort Bend county also has courts and there are also jury trials that will require members of the public to serve jury duty.

I would prefer jury duty in downtown Houston to jury duty in Richmond any day.

You wouldn't say that had you experienced both venues like I have. Not only have I been to numerous Harris County jury duty summons in the past, I have even participated on a jury there. Of course it's been a few years. Maybe these days a trip to Harris county courts are like a day trip to Disney World, full of fun and entertainment. I doubt it though. 

Edited by LunaticFringe
  • Like 1

This is more than just a little overwrought. Every street in the area has been rebuilt, including new pavers or concrete sidewalks, they built two new courthouses at a cost of over $200 million, they've renovated two more at over $100 million, they are removing the surface lot for the assembly room, and have plans to replace a 5th courthouse. Both jails across the bayou are new and kept clean. Many of the old buildings have been renovated. They built a 12 story parking garage with landscaping. All told, they are spending or have spent upwards of $1 Billion on the courthouse square area, and you claim they need to "clean that part of town up hardcore"? Having spent 12 years hanging out in and around those very courthouses and jails, I cannot ever remember catcalls at the women, which include prosecutors, judges, police officers and probation officers. If that type of behavior were occurring, these ladies would more than know how to deal with it. Not to mention that 3 different police agencies have their headquarters within that area, so the place is crawling with cops, deputies and jailers.

So, other than removing the people who offend you're delicate sensibilities, how would you "densify it and clean it up"? Be specific. Exactly which new courthouses would you demolish in order to densify and clean up this area?

• Like 2

You wouldn't say that had you experienced both venues like I have. Not only have I been to numerous Harris County jury duty summons in the past, I have even participated on a jury there. Of course it's been a few years. Maybe these days a trip to Harris county courts are like a day trip to Disney World, full of fun and entertainment. I doubt it though. 

I've been to both as well. One is a trip to the CBD of the 4th largest city in the country, with all the traffic, people and excitement that this entails. The other is a trip to a sleepy burg, seemingly trapped in time. Some people prefer the bustling city, some the sleepy burg. I wouldn't call one better than the other, merely different.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like they could have oriented the building to run parallel to Congress so it didn't jut SO far into the park. Kind of kills that space.

I disagree, while I would have liked a smaller surface footprint, the way it's oriented gives quite a bit of greenspace that is available to people coming from the criminal and civil courthouses.

• Like 1

Hopefully this park increases property values a little bit around that area, although I doubt it will.

Considering every property surrounding the park is owned by the County, I agree that it probably will not raise property values, nor would it matter in any way whatsoever, as the County is not interested in selling its courthouses.

• Like 2