Harris County Courthouses And Square

SpaceCity

Lighting is very important. When you see lights, especially creative lighting, it speaks of vibrancy and fun and beauty. Without lights, it makes people think everything's closed up for the night. Just think of Times Square. Lots of light, lots of neon. Maybe the businesses are open, maybe they aren't, but it LOOKS like the entire city is up and hanging out there.

The Republic Center in Dallas has a wonderful kaleidoscope that changes images and colors on its sail. That Continental thing is kinda nice, but hello... its dark outside, who's the moron that thought navy blue would stand out????

Dallas' night life is picking up... quite a bit faster than Houston's it seems. My company designed the interior of Blue, a multilevel night club in downtown D, and recent stats show that residential development in downtown Dallas increased 747% between 1995 & 2005.

AND... the same people don't run the buildings in both cities; the majority of highrises in Dallas are run by Trammell Crow.

• 4 months later...

CourtsFX.jpg

Anyone know the status of this place? When I was back in town I use to pass by this place all the time. While watching the Astros on TV I would see it in the background. It looks complete.

Have they started on that plaza up front?

What's the status on that juvenile court or is it jail? I believe It was an existing building they were renovating.

I've looked through pass threads, couldnt find anything(didn't look hard though).

I'm sure y'all would know.

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

Well I know that the one on the left is done. The one on the right is topped out and the facade is completer. Not sure if it is open yet though, there may be some interior work still. Oh yeah and the one on the right has a different facade it is kind of a red stone and blue windows. I want to say I heard they may scrap the plaza this was a long time ago and I do not know the credibility of the source. I haven't been there on the surface streets recently so I couldn't say if anything new has happened with the plaza.

Ok I found a pic taken by Mancuso. Kind of old but it gives an idea of the facade.

37479791.jpg

• Like 1

Building on the left, with curved roof is Criminal Courts Building. It opened in Jan. 2001. Building on right is Civil Courts Building. It, and the Juvenile court bldg. will open for business in Jan. 2006. At that time, the Family Law bldg. and the old 1900 courthouse will close for renovation.

I have not heard that the plaza is scrapped. It is currently still a parking lot.

• Like 1

The plaza is the centerpiece of the courthouse complex. The function of the plaza is to hold an underground jury assembly area, with tunnel access to each of the four (5?) courthouses. It will replace the crowded and inefficient assembly area currently in use. Of course, it will be landscaped with the fountain.

Given its importance to the overall complex, as well as the fact that it is the least expensive item, I can't believe it would not be built. The county says the jury assembly area is expected to open 1st quarter 2006, so the next few months should see some activity.

The plaza is the centerpiece of the courthouse complex.  The function of the plaza is to hold an underground jury assembly area, with tunnel access to each of the four (5?) courthouses.  It will replace the crowded and inefficient assembly area currently in use.  Of course, it will be landscaped with the fountain.

Given its importance to the overall complex, as well as the fact that it is the least expensive item, I can't believe it would not be built.  The county says the jury assembly area is expected to open 1st quarter 2006, so the next few months should see some activity.

Cool B) Good idea for the plaza, underground jury assembly and a cool pedestrian area. Now if going through the plaza would be the only way to get to the underground jury assembly area there would be loads of pedestrian traffic there everyday <_<

That is probably going to be the case, since the tunnels will be secure. In other words, you have to get into the tunnels by going through a building entrance with metal detectors.

The current jury assembly area is at Congress and Fannin. There is already lots of foot traffic in the area, with jurors, attorneys and court participants and personnel coming and going from 3 courthouses. It will be even more active when all 5 court buildings are built and renovated, and all court activity is consolidated in that 6 block area.

• 2 weeks later...

Harris County commissioners approved apending $13 million to add 4 levels to the parking garage behind the new civil courts building.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/3267139

The article notes that the jury assembly area and central plaza will start construction in early 2008. Currently, this area is a surface lot in the middle of the complex.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Here's an update in the chronicle

The new building's facade combines the sleek style of glass skyscrapers with the bulkier style of stone buildings capped by arched roofs and ornamental designs.

I sure like this building not your normal run of the mill glass building

I can't wait for that plaza to be built. According to the article it's still a go.

• Like 1

I'm sticking with my opinion on this one. This building is an abomination unto the Lord. Slapping a neo-classical styled dome on top of a cheap-looking, poorly executed and proportioned suburban style office building is like some kind of architectural bad joke. I keep hoping that it will be condemned on grounds of excessive bad taste.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Channel 13 news just had a story on Downtown parking. They mentioned that the surface lot in front will be replaced by that plaza soon. CourtsFX.jpg

Didn't give any dates though. They still mentioned underground parking under the GRB park. And that building (forget the name) that will be replacing office space for parking.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure why, but the Juvenile Justice Center was open for business today. They are still doing concrete and tile work on the front plaza, and movers were bringing in desks and chairs. However, the metal detectors were working and people were going in...so, of course I went in, too. Pretty decent looking, considering what the place looked like when it shut down in 2000. And of course, the tunnels run to every other courthouse, so I got to take a shortcut.

Probably, it will still be a week or two before it looks finished.

• Like 1

The new courthouse is great! New technology in the courtrooms for exhibits...native limestone facade behind each bench...great views of the city from windows in the courts...cafeteria in the basement...much more needed space. Looks great and functions very well! I'm really impressed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like we got taken <_< on the renovated Juvenile Justice Center or maybe the bugs just need to be worked out

But weeks after the justice center opened, some juvenile judges are questioning whether the county and taxpayers got a good return on the $58 million spent to renovate the old Criminal Courts Building

Chronicle article

• Like 1

Can someone "in the know" tell me if the County will light up the dome of the new Criminal Courts building?

I believe not since the building has been open for 2 months now and Ive seen no light.....boo!

I swear...building managers downtown need to have there heads checked to see if that little light bulb in there head still flickers "on" with any bright ideas. How architectural statements such as Texaco Heritage, can not be capitalized on by adding a little dramatic exterior lighting is way beyond me.

I mean think about....by making your building "more visible" to the casual eye and stand out from the rest of the crowd, it makes your building a little more attractive for future tennants looking for a showplace to call there home office. For some companies, it isnt just about amenities.....its about image.

And as for the County and its courthouse....they obviously have alot of pride in this project given the designs we've seen of the new court house and its new Justice Plaza. Would it not hurt show off this proud new addition by just lighting up the dome.....

Managers of these skyscrapers downtown need to wake the ____ up....or just take a trip to Chicago, New York, Shanghai, Tokyo, Dubai, etc. Its time to resurrect "Houston Proud" and regain this city's architectural edge or esle this city is destined to become the Detroit of the south while Dallas prospers. WAKE UP HOUSTON.

• Like 1

Can someone "in the know" tell me if the County will light up the dome of the new Criminal Courts building?

I believe not since the building has been open for 2 months now and Ive seen no light.....boo!

I assume you mean to say the new Civil Courthouse, since the Criminal Courthouse has no dome. The cupola atop the dome of the Civil Courthouse IS lit from within. Perhaps it is not fully engulfed in light, but the lit from within cupola gives a nice effect, IMHO. I thought it had an elegant look from Minute Maid Park last week, especially since I am not overly impressed with the design of the building.

• Like 1

Its time to resurrect "Houston Proud" and regain this city's architectural edge. WAKE UP HOUSTON.

I very much agree. To me, one of the best things that could be done to enhance Houston's architectural reputation wouldn't be to light the Courts building up, it would be to wrap it in a big tarp and hope nobody notices.

That building might be appropriate in, say, Des Moines or Boise, but no city hoping to be viewed as "world class" would ever design such second-rate kitsch for a major public building. It's such an embarrassment. :ph34r:

• Like 1

CourtsFX.jpg

Anyone know the status of this place? When I was back in town I use to pass by this place all the time. While watching the Astros on TV I would see it in the background. It looks complete.

Have they started on that plaza up front?

What's the status on that juvenile court or is it jail? I believe It was an existing building they were renovating.

I've looked through pass threads, couldnt find anything(didn't look hard though).

I'm sure y'all would know.

when are they going to start work on the plaza? that parking lot is an eyesore now! and does anyone know if it will be level ground or if it will follow the current grade?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Plans for the plaza are still alive, and covered in a bond issue to be voted on in November.

$900 million bond plan may be on ballot

Harris County officials are planning to ask voters to approve the largest such package ever to fund jails, courthouse

By BILL MURPHY

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Major projects that likely will be put before voters include:

Plans for the plaza are still alive, and covered in a bond issue to be voted on in November.

Link to full Chronicle article

You misread the article. Yes, the plans are still alive, but the Jury Assembly structure and the plaza are not part of the proposed $900 million bond issue. According to the Harris County 2007 Capital Improvements Plan, "Construction is to begin this year after completion of an addition to the county parking garage at 1401 Congress."

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1