Harris County Courthouses And Square

SpaceCity

Considering every property surrounding the park is owned by the County, I agree that it probably will not raise property values, nor would it matter in any way whatsoever, as the County is not interested in selling its courthouses.

Agreed.

I just hope they allow some better quality street vendors to be there.

The hotdog stand that I got my eats was disappointing to say the least.

• Like 1

I disagree, while I would have liked a smaller surface footprint, the way it's oriented gives quite a bit of greenspace that is available to people coming from the criminal and civil courthouses.

You don't think it would look a little less awkward if, say, it ran along the street in that open space between the trees, rather than jutting straight out into the middle of the green lawn?

• Like 1

You don't think it would look a little less awkward if, say, it ran along the street in that open space between the trees, rather than jutting straight out into the middle of the green lawn?

It doesn't look odd to me. I think they wanted the greenspace to be viewed by those walking along the Congress side instead of a solid wall for most of that block.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Harris County Jury Assembly Room and Transportation Plaza

Bounded by Franklin, Congress, San Jacinto and Caroline

Developer: Harris County

Estimated Completion: 2010/2011

Sitework has begun on a new Jury Assembly Room and Transportation Plaza. The site will be preserved as a public park and the four, below-grade, 250-seat jury assembly rooms will be tunnel connected to the Criminal Justice Center, Civil Courthouse, Juvenile Justice Center, and the new Family Law Center. Designed by PageSoutherlandPage. Estimated cost is $16.8 million.

http://www.houstondowntown.com/Home/GeneralInfo/About/Development1/

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Harris County Jury Assembly Room And Transportation Plaza
13 hours ago, HoustonBoy said:

What exactly is this place?

The surface is a (poorly-designed, and therefore completely unused) green space.   The building is where people entered to report for jury duty.  The surface level is pretty much just vestibule, elevators and escalators.  Below the surface was the jury assembly:  some open space, multiple assembly rooms, and tunnel connections to all of the county buildings and courthouses.  It was flooded by, IIRC, Harvey. Last I heard they do not plan to reopen it. Once would think a local journalist might have inquired and reported on it...

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Reconstruction begins on flooded Harris County Jury Assembly Plaza

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Reconstruction-begins-on-flooded-Harris-County-15074070.php#photo-19068507

More than two years after Hurricane Harvey filled the Jury Assembly Plaza downtown with 13 feet of water, its reconstruction is finally underway.

The $11.3 million project was stalled until Harris County commissioners approved a funding agreement last week. The county had been waiting on FEMA’s approval for its part in financing the project, County Judge Lina Hidalgo said.

“We’re asking all the questions to make sure this isn’t only done quickly but that it’s done well,” she said outside the plaza Friday. “It’s important to the administration of justice to making sure that enough jurors can come together each day.”

Hidalgo and District Clerk Marilyn Burgess assured the public that more precautions will be taken during the rebuild to ensure that Harvey’s level of flooding in August 2017 won’t happen again.

The building, at 1201 Congress, is mostly underground and consists of four chambers and an open central area. Floodwater filled the assembly room, also destroying a number of windows and furniture, according to the district clerk’s office.

Mitigation efforts include relocating an electric vault to an above-ground space to address the source of past flooding. Penetrations to the vault will be sealed, and the basement flood doors will be replaced. Those will also have sensors that detect moisture and trigger alarms, county officials said.

The plan also calls for workers to install water resistant flooring; new ceilings, walls and furniture; and a renovated pumping and ventilation system.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

The surprise of the day was coming across this Liebherr tower crane base on the west side of the Harris County Criminal Courts building. Vaughn is the GC. Does anyone know what they are going to do? I know it received a lot of damage during Harvey and other flooding events but why would a tower crane be used to do the repairs?

Mods can place this topic elsewhere if not appropriate for Going Up.

aVgq6f0.jpg

CGEp5rN.jpg

D7PQtNQ.jpg

aU3YpLW.jpg

• Like 5

I'm not sure what work needs to be done, post Harvey, but from where I live I can see the roof of the building. It looked to have been damaged during Harvey and remained since then. Maybe they are working on it finally.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mollusk said:

That place has had huge problems caused by a lack of elevator capacity since Day One, among other design flubs.

it seems like it was designed by someone who was never stuck with jury duty, or there would be twice as many elevators

• Like 1