Little Woodrow's Bar At 2301 West Alabama St.

PuroAztlan

Cultural history? That's being very generous. I remeber when the location was Thundercloud Subs. We'd see punk bands at some little shack in the back. Now THAT is cultural history.

orlyhamster.gif

Tell us moar about this shack in the back

orlyhamster.gif

Tell us moar about this shack in the back

God I love this!

I knew Woodrow's on W Alabama was next in line for demo. The whole area is flipping. Seems another page is turning for Houston. The little squirrel better run fast before a bulldozer flattens him out!

God I love this! I knew Woodrow's on W Alabama was next in line for demo. The whole area is flipping. Seems another page is turning for Houston. The little squirrel better run fast before a bulldozer flattens him out!

Upper Kirby/Greenway is a whole different animal from what it was before the turn of the century.

The future's so bright over there, they gotta wear shades

scottshades.jpg

The shack was just that. A shack.

That is precisely why they are a success, its a what you see, is what you get, kind of deal. Bands loved it, fans loved it. That is also why Consolidated Art's Warehouse (where Chelsea Place now stands) was so fantastic. It was just an old loading dock with a run down warehouse attached, broken toilets, caved in sheet rock.

People could slam dance until they killed themselves but it worked.

Place succumbed to a huge blaze a few years later. was a real bummer.

At least we still have little woody's on Holcombe/Bellaire

Not to mention Little Woodrows in the Rice Village...

I'm not going to be too disappointed, unless it becomes a parking lot. At least Little Woodrows is a chain and not something totally unique and irreplaceable.

I'm not going to be too disappointed, unless it becomes a parking lot. At least Little Woodrows is a chain and not something totally unique and irreplaceable.

Couldn't they always lease out the space on the first floor if gables decides to include it?

That's true at least there are others to visit. I never knew there were several more, however this specific joint seemed unique to the environment. Pretty soon our city will be scraped away completely, whats up yall!?

You have to admit this area is booming. There are so many midrises that have gone up in the past few years you would think a developer planned a high density project for the area. With the Alexan, Gables, West Ave, 2727 Kirby and now this going in the area this area is looking promising. Having Borders and Whole Foods serving this section of Upper Kirby is a plus also.

You have to admit this area is booming. There are so many midrises that have gone up in the past few years you would think a developer planned a high density project for the area. With the Alexan, Gables, West Ave, 2727 Kirby and now this going in the area this area is looking promising. Having Borders and Whole Foods serving this section of Upper Kirby is a plus also.

Granted, but cities aren't built from midrise apartments and AAA credit retail alone.

Do you mean Commerce Street Artist's Warehouse?

Almost 99% sure it was called Consolidated Arts Warehouse. Ran even parallel with the 59 frwy above. Chelsea Place is where it once stood. As you drove down Montrose you would immediately turn into a vast field of grass and gravel road leading to the old warehouse. Music of these hardcore bands would echo under the 59 frwy. (Reminds me of Repo Man) was that kind of a wild/fun crowd. :lol: Mohawks, liberty spikes, green hair etc.

I personally still miss the Ale House.

Yes, I'm still haunted by the demise of the Ale House, and frankly, Little Woody's hasn't been there long enough to qualify as historically significant.

Save that designation for TK Bittermans and the Ice House.

I've had a couple of people insist my memory is failing on this, but it's not...Does anyone else remember a brief few months when what later became the Velvet Melvin was actually called the Velvet Elvis, in the small 2 story space on the cross street on the north side of the old Alabama theatre strip? Kipling?

I've had a couple of people insist my memory is failing on this, but it's not...Does anyone else remember a brief few months when what later became the Velvet Melvin was actually called the Velvet Elvis, in the small 2 story space on the cross street on the north side of the old Alabama theatre strip? Kipling?

No, you're right. It was originally the Velvet Elvis but I think Priscilla threatened to wave the lawsuit stick at them...

No, you're right. It was originally the Velvet Elvis but I think Priscilla threatened to wave the lawsuit stick at them...

It was originally The Velvet Elvis, but I don't remember it ever being on Kipling. That's where Rudyard's used to be.

Almost 99% sure it was called Consolidated Arts Warehouse. Ran even parallel with the 59 frwy above. Chelsea Place is where it once stood. As you drove down Montrose you would immediately turn into a vast field of grass and gravel road leading to the old warehouse. Music of these hardcore bands would echo under the 59 frwy. (Reminds me of Repo Man) was that kind of a wild/fun crowd. :lol: Mohawks, liberty spikes, green hair etc.

I have no idea what Chelsea Place is (can't find it on Google Maps). I remember seeing Butthole Surfers at some warehouse that might be where you're describing. Cross streets?

It was originally The Velvet Elvis, but I don't remember it ever being on Kipling. That's where Rudyard's used to be.

Are you getting Rudz and Kipling mixed up (understandable) ? Rudyards has been in the same spot since the early 80s on Waugh & Welch..

The Velvet Elvis was definitiely across the Alabama strip. Just can't remember the name of the street....

Archived