Vacant House At 1630 Heights Blvd.

heights

Since I have lived in the Heights (13 years?) the house at 1630 Heights Blvd has been vacant. This looks like it was newly built but never quite completed. I have seen people there periodically and not too long ago they replaced the siding on the garage apartment. Does anyone know the story behind this place? Is there some reason it was never finished? It has now aged to the point where it is going to need quite a bit of repair.

Since I have lived in the Heights (13 years?) the house at 1630 Heights Blvd has been vacant. This looks like it was newly built but never quite completed. I have seen people there periodically and not too long ago they replaced the siding on the garage apartment. Does anyone know the story behind this place? Is there some reason it was never finished? It has now aged to the point where it is going to need quite a bit of repair.

I've wondered about that house, too - big house on a very big lot. Looks like the property owner also owns (lives?) at 1050 Heights.

I was walking my dog by that house a while back. It was in the late afternoon. When I was passing by that house I heard a loud noise coming from within the house. I heard what sounded like something jumping on the floor and then a very loud growl or an "angry" sound. I stopped to look and noticed that the house was empty and no one was inside. Anytime that I pass now I look to see if there is anyone inside and if there are any noises. I believe there is a spirit or ghost there. This is a true story so before any ridicule starts you should go see for yourself and consider the possibilities.

I was walking my dog by that house a while back. It was in the late afternoon. When I was passing by that house I heard a loud noise coming from within the house. I heard what sounded like something jumping on the floor and then a very loud growl or an "angry" sound. I stopped to look and noticed that the house was empty and no one was inside. Anytime that I pass now I look to see if there is anyone inside and if there are any noises. I believe there is a spirit or ghost there. This is a true story so before any ridicule starts you should go see for yourself and consider the possibilities.

Whoa. "Get Out"

I had looked for some info on this residence and noticed this comment from the Rice website.

"In 1893, Mr. and Mrs. McKinney moved into their home at 1630 Heights Boulevard, making it their permanent residence. Besides Mrs. McKinney's mother, who lived with them, Miss Ella McKinney, Mr. McKinney's sister, was often a member of the household. She died at the McKinney home in 1934."

Here is the link where I found it. It's about half way down the page:

http://community.rice.edu/focusresources/b...a/chapter6.html

• 3 years later...

Still vacant, going on twenty years now? I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes that one of you internet sleuths can shed some light.

Funny you brought this up again as I was just thinking about it yesterday. I guess it has been over 3 years since I started the thread and I see even less activity at the location than I used to. I pulled it up on HCAD and I see they have a homestead exemption, which is kind of surprising since they definitely do not live there. How could anyone rationalize paying $10K/year in taxes on someplace that sits vacant?

Strange when such a huge, beautiful house could be making someone some money, by leasing it out, or living in it themselves.

Maybe it has problems passing inspection codes. But I've seen far worse places that people live in. Looks like it's been taking care of, or is GoogleEarth playing tricks on me?

Posted this to the Heights Life FB page and a couple of people mentioned the owners have been building the house themselves and they are the ones who live in the garage apartment.

Darn. The Haunted House story was so much more interesting. I was hoping for a "Ghost Adventures" episode in the Heights.

• The title was changed to Vacant House At 1630 Heights Blvd.

Archived