Sugar Hill Section Of Riverside

I've been in Riverside all my life, and my parents have lived in the neighborhood since 1979. My mom is a native Houstonian (from Studewood), but I've never heard her, or anyone for that matter refer to any part of the area as "Sugar Hill". I came across that while reading a portion of the Winter 1981 edition of a journal published about the desegregation of the Riverside/Riverside Terrace/Washington Terrace areas. So, where exactly is "Sugar Hill" in Riverside?

I've been in Riverside all my life, and my parents have lived in the neighborhood since 1979. My mom is a native Houstonian (from Studewood), but I've never heard her, or anyone for that matter refer to any part of the area as "Sugar Hill". I came across that while reading a portion of the Winter 1981 edition of a journal published about the desegregation of the Riverside/Riverside Terrace/Washington Terrace areas. So, where exactly is "Sugar Hill" in Riverside?

I was told that my neighborhood used to be called "Sugar Hill." I'm at Live Oak and Calumet, right near Riverside Park.

Not living in Houston, I can't speak to whether the Riverside/Riverside Terrace/Washington Terrace area has an area called "Sugar Hill", but if it does/did, it wouldn't surprise me as there are many US cities that had Black middle class sections of neighborhoods that carried the moniker "Sugar Hill". Some of these include a section of Harlem around St. Nicholas Avenue, a section of Roxbury (a predominantly Black neighborhood in Boston), near the Franklin Park Zoo, where I owned a house, the Druid Hills area of Baltimore, MD, and the West Adams neighborhood of Los Angeles which in early 1940s as successful African-American entertainers moved into West Adams Heights was dubbed

i think the term is a generic one where blacks tended to congregate to live the good life.

Makes sense. Like 'working for Uncle Sugar' . All through the south it refers to getting a taste of the good life because you got a safe job with the government, the military, or a contractor. I've heard it used by white and black people, but mostly black.

• The title was changed to Sugar Hill Section Of Riverside

Archived