Mod Hotels In Houston?

Willowisp

i know there's one on the gulf freeway but i think they rent by the hr now. ;)

That's RAUNCHY. He said "ranchy".

As far as large hotels, Hotel Derek has about as mod of a touch as you will probably find in Houston, although I know that's not saying much. Magnolia Hotel has a mix of contemporary and traditional furnishings.

On a smaller scale, the only place that I have heard of is the Modern B&B on hazard (www.modernbb.com).

None of these are likely to be what these visitors are looking for, but they are at least different than the Holiday Inn.

I can't remember the last time I drove it, but what about old highway 90 that's now Wayside between 45 and the Medical Center? Seems like it would have been prime for motels like that.

That stretch of 90 (OST) by Almeda had several, and there's also the Alamo Plaza and St. Francis Motel closer to Griggs - all gone, abandoned, or cracked out...

three.jpg

There really isn't a lot of modern choices period. We went through all the options two years ago when Abel and I got married. Having had the ceremony at the Chapel of St Basil it was difficult to find a location for the reception. One of the modern hotels that we considered that hasn't been mentioned is the Alden Hotel in downtown, but it's not mcm.

The old Tee Pee motel in Wharton was recently restored. I'm sure it won't work for these visitors but might be a choice for someone driving cross country. http://www.myspace.com/teepeemotel

Any suggestions on Houston hotels with a mod (especially mid-century modern or ranchy) flavor to them?

Some moderinsts are coming in for a visit who would love to stay at a mod hotel and contacted Houston Mod for advice...

Jason

I've always wanted to drop by and have a few drinks in the lounge, if only to see the architecture and what kind of a crowd it draws. Never seem to take the opportunity, though...

main.jpg

You mean the Happy Days Lounge? I've thought the same thing. "Skeevy" comes to mind, but then I've clocked time in some pretty nasty bars. They often have the door open and from 45 you can see a pool table and a big screen tv.

Archived