Van's Ballroom At 2028 Kipling St.

WUPgirl

I believe this used to be on Richmond, or was it West Alabama?

Great place to be on Tuesdays and Thursdays for beer bust night! :)

Whatever happened to this place, anyone know?

As best I can remember, and I'm not totally, absolutely sure, but I think it was about one block east of Shepherd, between Kipling and Harold... facing onto Kipling.

Was it next to the big apartment complex at 1400 Richmond?? Was it an old grocery store turned dance hall? Just trying to unscramble the old brain a bit.

Not real sure readam, but that address sounds about right. Seems like there were apartments, but not sure. No idea about whether or not it was a grocery store before. Guess I'm not much help, sorry. I do remember a *very* small bar/tavern across the street, if that's any help. Can't remember the name though, ugh .. tough getting old! :)

The club was apparently once called just Van's Ballroom - originally opened by Van Bevill, a WWII submariner, who died in 1974. Sounds like it was a popular place in the 1960's. Here's another old eBay photo:

6dbc_1.JPG

Here is another photo, taken inside the club in 1968.

Someone posted on another forum:

"My father used to run Van's Ballroom a jazz and blues club in Houston, Texas until 1974. Lots of musicians came through there, such as BB King, Roy Head and others. I'm interested in finding out who else may have played this venue. There were even some live albums recorded there, though the copies are lost. My father passed away when I was young, and I'm having to search the net for information on my past. If anyone has any information on the club, please pass it on.

Thx in advance, Van"

Didn't see anything about the location, though.

As best I can remember, and I'm not totally, absolutely sure, but I think it was about one block east of Shepherd, between Kipling and Harold... facing onto Kipling.

I really had forgottten, but I'm pretty sure there were two clubs. The one you mentioned I believe was Van's Ballroom and had jazz, etc. If memory serves, it was indeed on one of the side streets not TOO far from the other, Van's Stampede Ballroom but am probably all wrong about this.

The club was apparently once called just Van's Ballroom - originally opened by Van Bevill, a WWII submariner, who died in 1974. Sounds like it was a popular place in the 1960's. Here's another old eBay photo:

6dbc_1.JPG

Here is another photo, taken inside the club in 1968.

Someone posted on another forum:

"My father used to run Van's Ballroom a jazz and blues club in Houston, Texas until 1974. Lots of musicians came through there, such as BB King, Roy Head and others. I'm interested in finding out who else may have played this venue. There were even some live albums recorded there, though the copies are lost. My father passed away when I was young, and I'm having to search the net for information on my past. If anyone has any information on the club, please pass it on.

Thx in advance, Van"

Didn't see anything about the location, though.

You're amazing tmariar - thank you!

I really had forgottten, but I'm pretty sure there were two clubs. The one you mentioned I believe was Van's Ballroom and had jazz, etc. If memory serves, it was indeed on one of the side streets not TOO far from the other, Van's Stampede Ballroom but am probably all wrong about this.

I didn't see anything showing that the two were connected, so they could well have been two separate clubs. I was thinking that the similarity in the names and logo glasses, and the timing of the closing of Van's Ballroom suggested a connection - and I could imagine a place catering to bands in the 60's turning into a country venue in the 70's - but it may just be coincidence. Here's hoping someone posts with more info for you!

WUPgirl

After talking to my wife we figured out that the old grocery store/concert hall next to 1400 Richmond Apartments was an incarnation of LaMaison. Maybe it later morphed into Van's but we're not sure now! Sand Mountain a folk venue was accross the street from the apartments as well.

WUPgirl

After talking to my wife we figured out that the old grocery store/concert hall next to 1400 Richmond Apartments was an incarnation of LaMaison. Maybe it later morphed into Van's but we're not sure now! Sand Mountain a folk venue was accross the street from the apartments as well.

......my wife and I, dating at the time, used to go to both La Maison and Sand Mountain in the 60's.

• 2 years later...

They were two different places but I remember the Stampede on Richmond as being called "Van's Stampede Ballroom". This would have been in the early 70's, maybe '71. Don't know why it would have been called that if in fact it was owned by your manager. I never went to the one on Kipling but my cousin frequently did. He also was a regular at the Swingin' Shepherd earlier in the 60's. A couple of girlfriends and I used to go to the Richmond Stampede location.

Interesting. The one on Richmond later became the (gay) Parade Disco. That's the building that now houses some Menil neon art or something like that.

If the one on Kipling is where Admiral Linen is now, that also became another gay dance club called the Old Plantation or "OP".

This must have happened with the uptick in Disco and the waning of CW and live music. No more boot-scootin; it was now time to bust a move.

• 2 years later...

Admiral Linen & Uniform still owns the building formerly called Van's Ballroom and Old Plantation. It is used to warehouse uniforms. I still work for Admiral and go in there regularly. It's fun to find reminders of the old days. Today, while running some cables in the ceiling, I found some old gold and brown wallpaper. I had to cut a piece off as a memento. :-)  -Cliff

post-11872-0-29166400-1362076639_thumb.j

• 3 years later...

The address in an ad above is 2028 Kipling St.  I believe this might actually be the building:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7400143,-95.4091287,3a,75y,51.22h,80.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKyy2llBlY2E_vqVbjNB89A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

There was also a "private" club inside that served mixed drinks ( remember this was before open bars in Texas ).  As a happy 18 year old, it was great back in 1964

Capture.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2008 at 9:32 PM, WUPgirl said:

I believe this used to be on Richmond, or was it West Alabama?

Great place to be on Tuesdays and Thursdays for beer bust night! :)

Whatever happened to this place, anyone know?

Bobby Bland, Otis Redding and prpb Roy Head are just 3 I remember

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm in touch with a woman who's family owned. Apparently there was a bad fire in 1951 or 52. She couldn't remember the name & I found on a Dome Shadows Facebook group. Thx for the info. I'll encourage her to join our discussions. 

• The title was changed to Van's Ballroom At 2028 Kipling St.

Archived