James Weiler Home At 10911 Wickline Dr.

BenH

I'd seen this house before, but really noticed it today. It was built by a firm named Bowles & Bowles, which I've never heard of or know anything about, for a patent attorney named James Weiler. Mr. Weiler founded the patent division of Fulbright & Jaworski, and played in a jazz band most of his life. He passed away in December of 2007. I don't know how much longer this house will be around, given the rabid McMansionization of Willowick.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/zoomanderson/_DSC0011.jpg?t=1201654870

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for seeing this. It definitely deserves attention and tracking. I don't know who would save this house, but it sure is a beauty. Whoever it is that watches the demo permits, keep an eye out. Who knows if it will even go on the market.

I talked to a proud owner of a modern in the Memorial area the other day and she said she regularly gets calls from developers offering to buy her property. She tells them (paraphrase) - no thanks, I love my house, and when the time comes, I will only sell it to someone who is going to take care of it.

Jason

I'd seen this house before, but really noticed it today. It was built by a firm named Bowles & Bowles, which I've never heard of or know anything about, for a patent attorney named James Weiler. Mr. Weiler founded the patent division of Fulbright & Jaworski, and played in a jazz band most of his life. He passed away in December of 2007. I don't know how much longer this house will be around, given the rabid McMansionization of Willowick.

_DSC0011.jpg?t=1201654870

• 4 months later...

This house is on the market now, but has some serious issues. Problem is, it also has some incredible Wrightian detailing, with other interesting attributes. Sevfiv, you will want to see this house asap. It'll be gone really soon. Bring your camera, if you can.

There's another Bowles & Bowles house at 11910 Knippwood in Memorial. It was built in 1955, and has similar detailing, but not quite as interesting as the Weiler house. It does have a similar appearence, but the chimney is up front. There is dark wood, possibly redwood or mahagony and built-in storage everywhere. pm me if you want pics. There is a demo permit on the front door.

Edited by BenH

What a shame. Viewing these types of posts really makes my heart ache. And to see what is happening in Memorial Bend. I'm just sick! The total integrity of a neighborhood wiped out with one McMansion, talk about juxtaposition.Thanks for the house background BenH, love to hear those. Someone quick, take some pics, & save some features, before it's too late.

Edited by NenaE

• 3 weeks later...

Great house - it's being sold by Greenwood King (Sue Atlas) but there's nothing on HAR or GK's site.

No permits posted either, but the electric box was stripped and it appeared that the sewer was disconnected.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Well, whatever goes up there will most assuredly be crap.

No doubt. And sitting on the market forever. If that house had been renovated properly, it would have been snatched up. Stats don't lie.

I wish city ordinances would mandate tax breaks for houses with vintage architecture and that new construction is sympathetic and in keeping with the architecture of the neighborhood. Houston does this crap all the time, and it really fries my okra! :angry2:

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to James Weiler Home At 10911 Wickline Dr.