311 System

dbigtex56

I've had several occasions to use the city's 311 system (if you're unfamiliar with how this system works, check out 311 Facts.)

Most times I've received very good service. Trees were trimmed away from traffic signs, leaking water meters and sidewalks were repaired. Now I've run into a situation which seems to have stymied the 311 system.

On the south side of Richmond Ave., just east of Montrose Blvd., the third tree from the corner had been hit by a car last October, partially uprooted, and left leaning over the sidewalk. Not only does this impair pedestrian traffic; if the tree isn't straightened it will eventually have to be replaced.

I've reported this faithfully for several months, always noting names, report numbers, and times. The operator assures me that the problem has been resolved. Unfortunately, it hasn't. Repeated calls have resulted in a different, perfectly straight, healthy tree being staked up, for reasons possibly known in Heaven and further assurances that "the tree has been trimmed." (!)

Any suggestions as to how I can relate that the problem still has not been fixed? I've even contacted my district councilperson, to no avail.

I've had mostly good service as well....although I did have one issue similar to what you describe. I called about a drain/gutter that was full of mud. The city came out and cleaned the drain grate but didn't remove the mud from the gutter on either side of the drain so the water continued to pool in the street 'cause it couldn't flow to the drain. Finally I asked for the contact info of the person who would recieve the request so I could talk to them directly. They obliged, I spoke with the person responsible and it finally got resolved.

Would they take a call about all the out of sync traffic lights downtown?

yep. 311 in itself is ok, it is the various departments that are supposed to be resolving the issues where the problem occurs.

i've been trying to get a street light fixed for a couple of weeks and they say it is fixed and it isn't. there are supposed to be six numbers on each pole and this one has 5 and well, their system won't take a complaint unless there are six numbers. it could get ugly.

When I worked dowtown, I would call 311 at least once a week to alert them of out-of-sync traffic lights. They usually have them fixed within a day or so. I can't say whether calling or submitting online works better. If the complaint requires a long note, them submit online so that you can put the problem in your own words. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the operator to interpret the issue.

Dbigtex56, if you aren't able to get relief from 311, I would recommend a note to the councilperson for that district. I had to do that once when neither TXDoT nor the City would take responsibility for a pothole on Wayside/Alt90, and it worked like a charm.

For the tree issue, call the City Forester and talk to them. That department is supposed to be responsible fro all of the trees on City RoW.

311 works OK for most things, but I really miss the diredt line to the tgraffic signal repair, 713-803-3000. That line was answered instantly, night or day. I'm not going to wait on hold with 311 on my cell phone for 10 minutes while I drive, as it's not safe to do that.

For the tree issue, call the City Forester and talk to them. That department is supposed to be responsible fro all of the trees on City RoW.

they cut a tree down across the street from me about 2 weeks ago. i didn't think it was bad but noticed an orange X on it and a few days later they came and cut the tree down. the next day another crew came out to grind the stump.

they cut a tree down across the street from me about 2 weeks ago. i didn't think it was bad but noticed an orange X on it and a few days later they came and cut the tree down. the next day another crew came out to grind the stump.

Yep, they are normally good about removing dangerous dead old trees in Near East End. Thats IF people report them. There are so many along Sunnyland that its no miracle they havent yet tipped on to traffic or pedestrians. Dead heavy branches dangle precariously overhead and yet the residents just inches away say nothing and they are on city property. Renters can be oblivious it seems or prefer to be.

Over all though 311 works well IF you report and keep on them. I always help to send an email as a backup! They will give you a confirmation number as assurance.

Yes, 311 has worked very well for me in that now I can get in touch with a surly, lazy, and typically unhelpful city employee MUCH faster than in the old days.

Just a hint of advice, always get the name of the person you spoke to.

Especially if you are asking what day is the heavy trash removal day. Be certain they tell you how soon you can take your junk out by the curb. That way is the law slaps a fine at your gate you have thier name/date/time.

311 IS a joke! for THREE years I have tried to get TWO separate things done. Neither has been done, I have moved from where one of the problems was, and I give up on the other problem.

I first reported in July of 2004 that there was not a stop/street sign on our street - and that every other street had one. I have a child with emotional issues, and I needed an identifying street sign on my street. I then continued to call on a monthly basis - noting names, numbers, new work orders, etc. When we moved in July of 2007 - still, no street sign.

There is a collapsing concrete block garage right next to my 84 year old mother's house. There are children living in the rent house on the property - the OWNER even lives on the property - but it keeps falling down - first the roof, then the bak, then the side away from Mom's house, then the side next to Mom's house. Again - called every month, names, work orders, etc. Still there.

Again, I say, 311 is an insult to our intelligence.

• 1 year later...

I have had great response from the on-line 311 service. April 19 I reported that one of the street lamp poles on our street was severely corroded at the base. April 29 there was a truck and work crew replacing the pole. Considering that this probably required checking the pole to make sure I was telling the truth, contracting and scheduling with an outside company (it wasn't a COH truck) this seems like rapid response to me.

Fantastic.

I have also reported street lights that burned out/weren't going on and those have been repaired within a couple days also.

• 3 months later...

311 no longer will accept calls about streetlights. They require you to call CenterPoint. It is unfortunate that this system that really works i sno longer fulfilling this capacity.

How much you wanna bet that there was some territorial infighting that led to that.

It's a shame, really.

They skipped our street for recycling...a week and a half ago. We called, they said to leave it out and they MIGHT have someone come by. Still no. This coming Monday is the next round of it anyway, I doubt they do anything. The paper/cardboard stuff now weighs 3x as much.

But they did fix the street lights when we all did online requests for it. Oh well.

I've had no issue with 311 the four times I've used it.

1. As a new homeowner in 2006, I called it to order my garbage container. It arrived the next day.
  2. A stop sign at the intersection near my home was knocked down by a demolition crew that took down an abandoned building. The sign was put back up the next day.
  3. I noticed water coming up from under the new asphalt put down on the street in front of my house. When I called they said they had already received a call about it. This took about a week, but eventually a crew tore up the street fixed whatever was leaking underneath. It took another couple weeks before they properly repaved - before that the hole was covered up with a metal plate.
  4. Finally I noticed a man sleeping in the middle of the street, they transferred me to the non emergency number for HPD.

Archived