City Place: Multifamily At 306 McGowen St.

Gaeshun

it will be comparable to 2222 smith. farb has the money to get it done and occupancy rates in midtown are doing quite well. problem is, after camden builds out their two sites, the market will be overbuilt quickly. additionally, at $1.50/sq ft, he can make the numbers work based upon his constuction estimate (+/- $90/sq ft). personally, dont see how its possible to build that cheaply. especially with a parking garage AND 4 over 2 podium. based upon my personal experience, would think it would cost a minimum of $130 psf to build.

It seems like NANCY SARNOFF has been reading HAIF because she mentions some stuff that me and others have talked about onn here. Take a look at this quote:

""Much of the development in the United States is sprawling, low-density, car-dependent, big-box or strip-mall construction, which produces more and more traffic and harms our land, air and water," the report reads.

Many of the developments the group singled out as environmentally sound are mixed-use projects that combine residential units with offices, shops and, in some cases, transit. They include the Pearl District in Portland, Atlanta's Atlantic Station and Bay Meadows in San Mateo, Calif.

Would anything in Houston ever live up to those values?"

This whole article is good to read, it talks about the reson Houston isn't developing as urban as other cities (becuase of Zoning):http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...iz/3571633.html

Edited by citykid09

It seems like NANCY SARNOFF has been reading HAIF because she mentions some stuff that me and others have talked about onn here.

She has the hots for you bad, citykid. I was having drinks with her the other day and she told me you were the only intelligent poster on this forum, because you are the only one who knows how cool Atlanta is...and how URBAN it is....and Urban turns her on.

She has the hots for you bad, citykid. I was having drinks with her the other day and she told me you were the only intelligent poster on this forum, because you are the only one who knows how cool Atlanta is...and how URBAN it is....and Urban turns her on.

:lol::lol::lol:

LMAO!!!

:lol: This just became my new signature!

• 2 weeks later...

Stop it, you're Imbarrassing him! :lol:

If ya know what i mean...

Edited by UrbaNerd

I plan to but I really want to see the city in person before I do that. I might move there or to Houston.

why would you move to Atlanta when Houston is only an hour away from you? Houston has everything Atlanta has, probably more!

• 1 year later...

I can't help but notice that since January 2006, when Farb bought three areas of land (McGowen @ Bagby (and on Bagby across the street) + McGowen @ Baldwin) there has been no development of what was supposed to be a midrise to be built starting in Spring 2006. Quite a long time to own expensive property without development (after purchasing it with a predetermined plan). Yes, the City of Houston building and parking lot were torn down (probably for tax reasons) making it less expensive to hold undeveloped property. And one of the lots is a disgusting "swamp".....neighbors are constantly calling to have the weeds cut down below "skyscraper height" :)......not to mention a bird that looks like a crane that was hanging out in that "swamp" with the rats....true!

Now they have had a guard outside the property for about 4 days while a communications shed is further disassembled...must be some expensive equipment in there running the cell phone tower on the lot! They put up new fencing and barbed wire around that shed today...

Anyone heard anything new regarding what has happened to the development of these properties and the supposed midrise? Did it fall through?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know anything about this development? Is it going through?

Thanks!

I can't help but notice that since January 2006, when Farb bought three areas of land (McGowen @ Bagby (and on Bagby across the street) + McGowen @ Baldwin) there has been no development of what was supposed to be a midrise to be built starting in Spring 2006. Quite a long time to own expensive property without development (after purchasing it with a predetermined plan). Yes, the City of Houston building and parking lot were torn down (probably for tax reasons) making it less expensive to hold undeveloped property. And one of the lots is a disgusting "swamp".....neighbors are constantly calling to have the weeds cut down below "skyscraper height" :) ......not to mention a bird that looks like a crane that was hanging out in that "swamp" with the rats....true!

Now they have had a guard outside the property for about 4 days while a communications shed is further disassembled...must be some expensive equipment in there running the cell phone tower on the lot! They put up new fencing and barbed wire around that shed today...

Anyone heard anything new regarding what has happened to the development of these properties and the supposed midrise? Did it fall through?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It looks like construction has finally begun on the lots of land at McGowen and Bagby owned by Harold Farb. They are supposed to be upscale apartments. An existing cell phone tower on the big lot of land has stalled them. It likes like they are probably building a parking garage across the street from the big lot right now.

It looks like construction has finally begun on the lots of land at McGowen and Bagby owned by Harold Farb. They are supposed to be an upscale midrise apartment building. An existing cell phone tower on the big lot of land has stalled them. It likes like they are probably building a parking garage across the street from the big lot right now. Hopefully that means the cell phone tower will be taken out soon so they can actually start building.

The apartments are supposedly going to be really expensive. Every apartment will include granite countertops. After they are finished with that I'm guessing that some of the seedier stuff accross the street on Bagby will be torn down and they can put in some decent commercial development there.