Kroger At 14344 Memorial Dr.

KatieDidIt

There's a big lease sign up on the Kroger west of Kirkwood. Its got to be one of the oldest and most depressing grocery stores in the area. Does anyone know if Kroger is finally closing up shop?

Huh, I used to shop there on occasion when I worked out in the Energy Corridor. It beat the crap out of the Kroger nearest where I live.

I don't know of its fate, but it comes as a surprise. It always seemed to do decent business.

Huh, I used to shop there on occasion when I worked out in the Energy Corridor. It beat the crap out of the Kroger nearest where I live.

I don't know of its fate, but it comes as a surprise. It always seemed to do decent business.

Its pretty old and nasty now. The Randalls ( Dairy Ashford and Town and Country)does most of the business for the neighborhoods. Hubby said he was getting gas last month at the Valero next door and the cashier had the door locked, the Kroger had just been robbed.

Not to mention there is a Super HEB up at Westhiemer and a HEB Pantry a couple blocks down.

:huh: ...did something earth shattering happen in the last six months?

The is the one on Memorial west of Kirkwood, not the one on Briar Forest. Its been bad for a long time...at least in comparison to the other stores in the area. I don't think its been cosmetically touched since the 70's.

The is the one on Memorial west of Kirkwood, not the one on Briar Forest. Its been bad for a long time...at least in comparison to the other stores in the area. I don't think its been cosmetically touched since the 70's.

...no, I know which one you're talking about.

...no, I know which one you're talking about.

I have to agree with KatieDidIt.

The Kroger there on Memorial (btw Kirkwood & Dairy Ashford) is terrible. They tried to give it a facelift some months back, which included a very cheap, tacky and out-of-place-looking stucco facade and the addition of an in-store Starbucks. But nothing will change the fact that it's dark and dirty inside and is just a depressing place to shop.

The entire strip center in which it's located is a blight on the surrounding area and has been in need of demolition since I was in middle school next door (15 years ago). Frankly, I can't believe it's lasted this long.

I haven't been out there in a while, but Mickey Couch with Santa Fe Fidelity has had a sign on the property for years. Is there a new sign?

Yep its the Santa Fe sign. But I just noticed it so it much be a new and bigger one, or they replaced it. It seem like its for the Kroger only. Have they been trying to lease the Kroger out for years?

Yep its the Santa Fe sign. But I just noticed it so it much be a new and bigger one, or they replaced it. It seem like its for the Kroger only. Have they been trying to lease the Kroger out for years?

I'm not sure if they own the property or are just the leasing agent, but I assume it is for the entire center. The sign that has been there for 10+ years was near a driveway on the east side of the property, and it seems to me that it was angled so that westbound traffic would see it.

My guess is that they are responsible for leasing the entire center so they keep a sign up all of the time.

I live in Wilchester and everyone I know in the neighborhood either goes to the Randalls at memorial and the beltway or heb on westheimer and kirkwood. That Kroger has been remodeled but that shopping center is still the worst in the area.

I live in Wilchester and everyone I know in the neighborhood either goes to the Randalls at memorial and the beltway or heb on westheimer and kirkwood. That Kroger has been remodeled but that shopping center is still the worst in the area.

Hey Techo, I'm in Yorkshire. I shop the Randalls at TC or the Rice. That Kroger is bad and depressing. How does it stay open?

Interesting the lease sign has been up on it for 10 years. Its always been pretty junkie in that stretch of Memorial. With all the recent vacancies, maybe some facelifitng will occur. Hubby grew up In Wilchester West and he said the Kroger was bad even back then.

• 5 months later...

In that area, I go to to Randalls when I want something nice and HEB when I want something cheap. I don't ever go to that Kroger, especially with the 24 hour Kroger just a bit down Eldridge on Briar Forest. I wouldn't be surprised if it closed down.

• 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Kroger West Memorial
  • The title was changed to Kroger At 14344 Memorial Dr.

Archived