Scary Stuff In FM 1960 Area

pineda

unbelievable. is gentrification of the inner city pushing crime out to the suburbs? license to carry anyone?

note to self: after an accident, do not roll down the window if in an isolated area until the situation has been deemed safe or the police have arrived.

never assume that people are nice. truly freakin' sad.

Don't paint that whole swath with your giant brush. I live in that area and it has pockets of everything --good and bad.

Bachanon asked:

is gentrification of the inner city pushing crime out to the suburbs?

I stand by my response. I didn't say anything to the effect that the whole of the area is a ghetto.

Worse stuff than this happens several times a day, every day elsewhere in this city and in the suburbs. During the same day there was a carjacking in Sugar Land. Sure, it's rare to see this happen out here and I've no tolerance of it, but eventually these clowns are going to get busted or worse. The reason, this person's email has made it into evey inbox in NW Harris County is because it is so rare here.

you push folks out they have to live somewhere...right? Blame the greedy developers....those apartments they built in abundance in the 80s and now have to be filled and if you ran folks off from one area they need to fill another...

no matter how far you run, people will follow.....South Park, Bellfort, Westbury, Greenspoint, North Forest, etc...need I go on?

you reap what you sew.................

you push folks out they have to live somewhere...right? Blame the greedy developers....those apartments they built in abundance in the 80s and now have to be filled and if you ran folks off from one area they need to fill another...

It isn't just apartments, though. There are only so many 80's vintage apartments, and they were already pretty sketchy.

There were a lot of homes built in this area with prices in the low $100,000s, with a few able to sell new for as low as $85,000. For a lot of poor households, this (and subprime lending) represented a rare opportunity to buy a home. And for some small-time investors, it represented an opportunity to buy and lease homes.

Whether most folks realize it or not yet, we've witnessed the creation of dozens of new Sunnyside-like neighborhoods throughout the region.

It isn't just apartments, though. There are only so many 80's vintage apartments, and they were already pretty sketchy.

There were a lot of homes built in this area with prices in the low $100,000s, with a few able to sell new for as low as $85,000. For a lot of poor households, this (and subprime lending) represented a rare opportunity to buy a home. And for some small-time investors, it represented an opportunity to buy and lease homes.

Whether most folks realize it or not yet, we've witnessed the creation of dozens of new Sunnyside-like neighborhoods throughout the region.

And now a police Officer(off duty) was crtitically wounded during a gunfire exchange, at one of those apartments at Parametta and I-45. Right around 1960. That's far enough north from Greenspoint that you can't blame Northern Harris crime on Greenspoint along anymore.

Keeping this in perspective, there are well over a million people in NW Harris County. Pretty massive area. CFISD alone has a population equivalent to the City of Austin. Those saying that this 'bump & rob' crime and other random criminal acts equates to what goes on in Houston or other areas of comparable size and population every day are simply way off.

With that said, I think the City of Houston is actively trying to push its junk out to the County. This was made quite clear when their policy regarding halfway houses was publicized as well as the Billboard fiasco. It's time for the Northwest communities to respond by incorporating themselves. If they incorporated into a single city, they'd immediately become one of the largest cities in the state. Whether or not they do that, or incorporate the individual communities of Cypress, Klein and Spring it will certainly help this area to better address these kinds of quality of life issues that affect the residents.

no matter how far you run, people will follow.....South Park, Bellfort, Westbury, Greenspoint, North Forest, etc...need I go on?

you reap what you sew.................

North Forest (Tidwell/Homestead/Lockwood/Mesa Rd/N.Wayside) area, I second your opiniom on that area...Most of my life I grew up out there and that area needs to be torched, the schools and everything. "There's no other area like that in the nation that has it's own school district with no upside in any of its schools." To be the largest Black School District in the Nation, You'd expect to see Rev. Al Sharpton coming out to address the issue, but he's not insight...

The areas I mentioned were predominately white at one time and then blacks followed once they achieved the american dream only to be replaced by hispanic familes once the blacks move out...All along I-45 north that has happened

I lived off 249 and 1960 at one time so I got to know the NW area real well......the area by Westfield is long gone but thank mass transit also as Veterans Memorial is the major artery that changed the scene as the Metro line has made its impact on that...but then you take a closer look alot of the homes that were built in the 80s were designed for failure as those homes are too small and compact so you get what you build at times

lack of zonig has hurt also as every plot of land is now being developed with tax credit apartments

Worse stuff than this happens several times a day, every day elsewhere in this city and in the suburbs. During the same day there was a carjacking in Sugar Land. Sure, it's rare to see this happen out here and I've no tolerance of it, but eventually these clowns are going to get busted or worse. The reason, this person's email has made it into evey inbox in NW Harris County is because it is so rare here.

Don't go trying to pull us down again mrfootball. Sugar Land 5th Safest City In America

Don't go trying to pull us down again mrfootball. Sugar Land 5th Safest City In America

I don't think he was trying to "pull you down". He was just saying stuff like this happens everywhere and isolated incidents don't mean an area is "unsafe"....

I actaully heard about this carjacking in Sugarland on the news, two teenage kids jacked a family in their Escalade at First Colony Mall, I think they wanted to ghostride the whip....

I hear a lot of people talk about how the great northwest houston or the willowbrook area will become the next greenspoint. It's funny to me because considering how many mansions (Champion Forest etc...) this area has compare to greenspoint. I literally drive around houston and its surrounding suburbs every other day. In my opinion, this is one of the best places to live in (in houston that is) in every aspect. Of course bad things are going to happen. The city is growing. The woodlands is very nice now (VERY NICE & clean) but we'll see in 10 years or so. People just have to stay and wait it out. ;):rolleyes:;)

I hear a lot of people talk about how the great northwest houston or the willowbrook area will become the next greenspoint. It's funny to me because considering how many mansions (Champion Forest etc...) this area has compare to greenspoint. I literally drive around houston and its surrounding suburbs every other day. In my opinion, this is one of the best places to live in (in houston that is) in every aspect. Of course bad things are going to happen. The city is growing. The woodlands is very nice now (VERY NICE & clean) but we'll see in 10 years or so. People just have to stay and wait it out. ;):rolleyes:;)

You could have said that about Riverside Terrace at one time. Crime is not discriminitory, it happens everywhere even if it is an isolated experience. It take us as a community to stand up to the criminals and let them know that it is not going to happen in your neighborhood instead of turning our heads. How do we do that, well I guess the first start would be to be more diligent in calling the police when something suspucious is happening and also getting involved or forming neighborhood watch programs.

But, I guess that is another tread...

It take us as a community to stand up to the criminals and let them know that it is not going to happen in your neighborhood instead of turning our heads.

Hmmmmmm......

A fellah in Pasadena was pretty effective and all it's gotten him is hot water.

Hmmmmmm......

A fellah in Pasadena was pretty effective and all it's gotten him is hot water.

It is amazing how your quote is completely taken out of context unless you read the whole thing. I don't think I ever suggested for someone to bring out a shotgun did I?

It take us as a community to stand up to the criminals and let them know that it is not going to happen in your neighborhood instead of turning our heads. How do we do that, well I guess the first start would be to be more diligent in calling the police when something suspucious is happening and also getting involved or forming neighborhood watch programs.

The police department is our friend.

I don't feel safe in Sugarland. It's entryways/exits are way too many for my taste. Now people are moving OUT of Sugarland and going even farther to Richmond/Rosenburg because of hatred for "The city (Houston)" moving in.

Freeways = easy ways for the bad people to get in and out

That's why I like how The Woodlands was developed with circular passageways (and now many upscale neighborhoods are doing the same). At night (or day sometimes) if you don't know where you are going you will get lost!!

I don't feel safe in Sugarland. It's entryways/exits are way too many for my taste. Now people are moving OUT of Sugarland and going even farther to Richmond/Rosenburg because of hatred for "The city (Houston)" moving in.

I thought that it was sort of the other way around, given that homes in the Richmond/Rosenberg area tend to be less expensive than in Sugar Land.

Well if you look at some of the newer neighborhoods in the LCISD area (Greatwood/Bridlewood Estates), I would say those are nicer than most of the ones I've seen in Sugarland. It probably has to do with larger lot sizes also.

Aren't there new areas popping up near George Ranch too?

Archived