Mid-century Modern Home For Sale

The Shemer Group strikes again! Talk about a lot of purchases in 2007.

Why would they keep the cabinets in the Heatherglen house but gut the kitchen in the other Wortham house on Dumfries? I haven't seen it since it was on the market but it was reported that they removed the suspended walnut cabinets.

You've got to be kidding. William F. Wortham designed these houses? I've been wondering about that for a long time. Heck, one of the guys in the office I work in worked for Wortham a long time ago. That's really unexpected and interesting.

The Shemer Group strikes again! Talk about a lot of purchases in 2007.

Why would they keep the cabinets in the Heatherglen house but gut the kitchen in the other Wortham house on Dumfries? I haven't seen it since it was on the market but it was reported that they removed the suspended walnut cabinets.

I met with them at one point and urged them to keep the existing cabinets and hardware, not that that did it, but they seemed to be open to the concept of a more architecturally appropriate rehab this go around. I know another agent that works with mods some also advised them on some issues too.

So I decided to do a drive by of Dumfries this morning on my way home from the office. Yikes! Those windows are horrid. I almost didn't recognize the house. I'm amazed that they went to that much work to reconfigure the brick to make the new windows fit.

I honestly had no idea that properties in Meyerland (area) were that expensive. Wow.

In that part of Meyerland, you're just a stone's throw from the Loop, Kolter Elem is a block away, the middle school is within walking/biking distance (with no major streets to cross), and Bellaire HS is about a mile away. And the lots are big. It's a great location, especially for families -- and a bargain compared to West U or Bellaire.

5015 Heatherglen Dr., Houston, TX 77096

Beautifully restored custom built Mid Century-Modern Designed by Architect William Wortham, Located in a prestige area of Meyerland !!!!

Fabulous Floor Plan with lots of Glass windows and natural light.

Sunken formal living room & raised formal dining room that features 'Saucer' Bubble Lamp (George Nelson).

The kitchen touts 'Intact' Retro-Modern suspended walnut cabinets with Original knobs. Updated SS double Oven, SS Dishwasher and glass cook top.

Kitchen Floor - VCT (Vinyl Composition Tile) detailing a unique pattern from Ralph Wilson house (The Wilsonart House), founder of the laminate company which is located in Temple Texas.

http://www.wilsonart.com/wilsonhouse/slideshow.aspx

http://www.wilsonart.com/wilsonhouse/fastfacts.aspx

Poured Terrazzo floors in the entrance and den area, pristine Walnut paneled walls in the den.

Master suite has a great sitting area with large windows overlooking the back yard.

MLS # 5965241

5015 Heatherglen Dr., Houston, TX 77096

Beautifully restored custom built Mid Century-Modern Designed by Architect William Wortham, Located in a prestige area of Meyerland !!!!

Fabulous Floor Plan with lots of Glass windows and natural light.

Sunken formal living room & raised formal dining room that features 'Saucer' Bubble Lamp (George Nelson).

The kitchen touts 'Intact' Retro-Modern suspended walnut cabinets with Original knobs. Updated SS double Oven, SS Dishwasher and glass cook top.

Kitchen Floor - VCT (Vinyl Composition Tile) detailing a unique pattern from Ralph Wilson house (The Wilsonart House), founder of the laminate company which is located in Temple Texas.

http://www.wilsonart.com/wilsonhouse/slideshow.aspx

http://www.wilsonart.com/wilsonhouse/fastfacts.aspx

Poured Terrazzo floors in the entrance and den area, pristine Walnut paneled walls in the den.

Master suite has a great sitting area with large windows overlooking the back yard.

MLS # 5965241

I am confused a little. Is the picture of the house in the slideshow the house? It does not look like the same house that is on the MLS.

I am confused a little. Is the picture of the house in the slideshow the house? It does not look like the same house that is on the MLS.

It's not the same house. I guess a plug for the Wilson Art website? The other odd thing is the word 'tout'. Had to look it up to be sure but here is the defination on Wikipedia:

In British English, a tout is any person who solicits business or employment in an importune manner (generally equivalent to a solicitor in American English).

A ticket tout is someone who engages in ticket resale for more than the face value of the ticket (though a ticket reseller is known colloquially as a scalper rather than a solicitor in U.S. parlance).

Another example would be a person who frequents heavily touristed areas and presents himself as a tour guide (particularly towards those who do not speak the local language). In a similar fashion a tout would be someone who, acting upon his own initiative, loads or unloads the baggage from a bus, then demands payment for his services from the passengers. Some touts operate in holiday areas on behalf of local bars, restaurant or hotels, being paid to direct tourists towards certain establishments.

In gambling parlance, a tout is a person who sells sports betting information to bettors. Another use for the term is when used to refer to an informer or spy. This use is very common in Northern Ireland, particularly in Belfast.

I think the point that Limor Shemer was making is that they tried to keep the updates period correct. The kitchen floor was updated with new VCT in a pattern used in the Wilson Art house.

I stopped by this past Sunday and the daughter of the original owner was there. She was able to provide some information about the original details. Overall it's a nice house and much better than most of the investor flips that we have all become accustomed to seeing.

It's not the same house. I guess a plug for the Wilson Art website? The other odd thing is the word 'tout'. Had to look it up to be sure but here is the defination on Wikipedia:

In British English, a tout is any person who solicits business or employment in an importune manner (generally equivalent to a solicitor in American English).

A ticket tout is someone who engages in ticket resale for more than the face value of the ticket (though a ticket reseller is known colloquially as a scalper rather than a solicitor in U.S. parlance).

Another example would be a person who frequents heavily touristed areas and presents himself as a tour guide (particularly towards those who do not speak the local language). In a similar fashion a tout would be someone who, acting upon his own initiative, loads or unloads the baggage from a bus, then demands payment for his services from the passengers. Some touts operate in holiday areas on behalf of local bars, restaurant or hotels, being paid to direct tourists towards certain establishments.

In gambling parlance, a tout is a person who sells sports betting information to bettors. Another use for the term is when used to refer to an informer or spy. This use is very common in Northern Ireland, particularly in Belfast.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Obviously this house sold. I noticed recently though on Portia's blog that Leyendecker Landscape had done some work in the backyard. I know LL is always brought up as one of the landscape companies that does modern landscape design. Here's a link showing before and after pics of the work they did including a new patio, water feature, and bed plantings.

http://leyendeckerla...ifferent-needs/

Archived