Sam Houston Tollway Between FM 2234 & Kirby Dr.

Timnwendy

I am probably not the only one to notice this, but for all you folks driving on the new stretch of Kirby Drive between 2234 (Shadowcreek parkway) and the Sam Houston tollway - be careful! The posted limit is only 35mph, but with no stops and no development along that stretch (yet), it's easy to go 50mph+. And that is where the danger comes in, because almost every time I've driven through there I've seen a cop either giving a speeding ticket, or parked and set to pounce on an unwary driver.

This stretch could qualify as a speed trap, at least to my mind, so be careful folks. ^_^

I am probably not the only one to notice this, but for all you folks driving on the new stretch of Kirby Drive between 2234 (Shadowcreek parkway) and the Sam Houston tollway - be careful! The posted limit is only 35mph, but with no stops and no development along that stretch (yet), it's easy to go 50mph+. And that is where the danger comes in, because almost every time I've driven through there I've seen a cop either giving a speeding ticket, or parked and set to pounce on an unwary driver.

This stretch could qualify as a speed trap, at least to my mind, so be careful folks. ^_^

I try to avoid it and go to 288 instead. As you say, you get up to 45-50 without thinking about it.

I've been lucky a couple of times coming south from BW8 because the police already had somebody pulled over. They wait on the bridge right before you get to 2234.

We can also use this thread to discuss what is planned for this stretch of road. It looks like they've pre-laid a very nice infrastructure there (example: pretty streetlights), for future development. Is it possible this is where part of the Waterlights District is going to be? It seems close enough.

We can also use this thread to discuss what is planned for this stretch of road. It looks like they've pre-laid a very nice infrastructure there (example: pretty streetlights), for future development. Is it possible this is where part of the Waterlights District is going to be? It seems close enough.

It will be more an Industrial Park west of the Waterlights & The Promenade Shops.

Pearland is trying to attract Biotech & Medicine companies. It is a very nice concept, but it will take years to come to reality.

The Spectrum

Ah..thanks, I didn't know about this 'Spectrum'.

I'm not sure if anyone knows anything about the Spectrum project. It's been very shrouded in mystery. Much of it is supposed to be office buildings but let's wait 10 years for that to really take shape.

I got pulled over here in December for going 52 (which is what everyone is driving, if not faster). The cop also cited me for not having a front license plate. Didn't give me a warning, AND didn't even tell me he was citing me. I thought it was just for speeding until I looked at it later.

I have already scheduled a court date in March. I know they will find me guilty, but I want to be heard:

1. No front license plate

- Officer did not verbally inform me that this was a violation. He made no mention of it at all.

- I had the license plate with me in the vehicle and would have happily installed it to avoid the citation

- I installed the license plate later that day (picture to prove it)

- On the drive from my house to the courthouse I passed 20 vehicles that did not have a front license plate. It appears many of the taxpayers of Brazoria County are unaware that this is a violation.

2. 53 in a 35 on Kirby.

- My argument here is that this road should not be a 35 MPH zone.

- It is 2 lanes each way, with a 10 yd median in between.

- There are NO roads or parking lots feeding in this zone

- There are NO traffic signals or stop signs in this zone

- The traffic is incredibly LIGHT

- Everyone routinely drives 50 MPH+ on this road (and I now get my doors blown off when driving 35)

(Pictures of Kirby)

- FM 518 (Pearland's main road) is 2 lanes each way, with NO median, tons of strip mall entry, the busiest road in town by far, traffic lights galore, and is a 45 MPH zone!

- McHard Rd (runs perpendicular to Kirby) is also 4 lanes with NO median, and is a 60 MPH Zone!

- The old SINGLE lane road just west and parallel to Kirby, which has residential entries, is a 40 MPH zone!

(Picture of this road and 40 MPH sign)

I got pulled over here in December for going 52 (which is what everyone is driving, if not faster). The cop also cited me for not having a front license plate. Didn't give me a warning, AND didn't even tell me he was citing me. I thought it was just for speeding until I looked at it later.

I have already scheduled a court date in March. I know they will find me guilty, but I want to be heard:

- Officer did not verbally inform me that this was a violation. He made no mention of it at all.

- I had the license plate with me in the vehicle and would have happily installed it to avoid the citation

- On the drive from my house to the courthouse I passed 20 vehicles that did not have a front license plate. It appears many of the taxpayers of Brazoria County are unaware that this is a violation.

2. 53 in a 35 on Kirby.

- Everyone routinely drives 50 MPH+ on this road (and I now get my doors blown off when driving 35)

(Pictures of Kirby)

- FM 518 (Pearland's main road) is 2 lanes each way, with NO median, tons of strip mall entry, the busiest road in town by far, traffic lights galore, and is a 45 MPH zone!

- McHard Rd (runs perpendicular to Kirby) is also 4 lanes with NO median, and is a 60 MPH Zone!

- The old SINGLE lane road just west and parallel to Kirby, which has residential entries, is a 40 MPH zone!

Good luck, but the judges in Pearland are tough.

2. 53 in a 35 on Kirby.

(Pictures of Kirby)

good luck with that. I sure hope reason wins out. It would be great if they not only voided your ticket, but changed the speed limit.

I wouldn't be optimistic though. :)

2. 53 in a 35 on Kirby.

(Pictures of Kirby)

The area where I live now got annexed by Pearland last year. The 1st thing they did was reduce the speed limits and put up stop signs in unnecessary annoying places.

It's all about the money.

One Pearland cop who lives in my neighborhood got sneaky. He normally parks his patrol car in the street...but every once in a while..he's in it with his radar on, giving tickets to anyone who goes over 25.

Kirby has no business being 35mph..it's ridiculous.

They clearly aren't using the '85th percentile method' or a recommendation by a traffic engineer..but are controlling the speed limits to tax the public.

I wish they'd put speed limits on streets up for discusson, instead of deciding it for themselves.

Clearman, I've hear that many officers will cite you for two infractions, then when you go to court offer to plead guilty to the non-moving violation, in your case failure to display front license plate, then the judge tosses the speeding ticket.

I'm not sure if anyone knows anything about the Spectrum project. It's been very shrouded in mystery. Much of it is supposed to be office buildings but let's wait 10 years for that to really take shape.

Fortunately, the Spectrum project recently began construction a few months ago, so it should be done in a few years.

Here's the website: http://www.thespectrumclearcreek.com/about...=about⊂=

does Kingsley go to the Beltway?

It does, changing it name to Almeda School as soon as you leave SCR & Pearland; Once you hit BW8, only option is to head East. If you want to go West, you can either U-turn at Kirby or right before you get to BW8 make a left at the stop sign at Riley rd and it will take you to 521 just south of the tollway.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what really pisses me off about all the cops on that stretch of Kirby. Every day I drive Kirby from up near 518, all the way to the beltway. Along the way, I see lots of kids riding their bikes to school, and then I pass Marek elementary where there is a reduced speed school zone. I very, very, very (as one time I did) see a cop checking speeds on the SCR stretch of Kirby where children are trying to get to school in the morning.

ALL the TIME in the morning I see cops on the stretch of Kirby mentioned in this thread. I've yet to be pulled over (but I'm sure it'll happen at some point), but when I do the first thing I'm going to ask the cop is why they are so concerned with me going 35 on a four lane stretch of road with no development when people are screaming up and down Kirby in SCR?? I'll point blank ask him if he thinks my $200 ticket is more important than the safety of school children. That should be fun, probably worth the money I'll pay for the ticket. Are they that concerned that I'll be driving so fast that I'll vere off the road and run over one of those pretty new street lights? Maybe they're afraid I'll tear up the grass or something....or they just want the money (bingo).

Speaking of speed traps and all of that, Shadow Creek Parkway has changed it's speed limits. I think it is 50 mph east of Kingsley, dropping to 45 east of Kirby. This is all in preparation for the expansive retail being built now and the Nolan Ryan Middle School opening in the fall.

Next up: Stoplights. I'm sure we'll see stoplights at Reflection Bay and Business Center Drive in no time. When they'll make the road a 4 or 6-lane divided street, I have no idea. My idea would be something like Bay Area Blvd in Clear Lake. If they only make 2234 four lanes, I would be disappointed. It's going to be very busy, very soon. Especially when they drop in another 2 or 3 stoplights.

• 1 month later...

Went to court today. Officer didn't show up.

Prosecutor said "Unless you want to make a deal, this will go to trial"

Me: Well, the officer isn't here, so it will get dismissed.

Her: He's out because of surgery, so the judge could just reassign the date.

Me: I don't think that's going to happen, but if you have something to offer let's hear it.

Her: Deferred adjudication and $200 on the speeding, pay the no front plate.

Me: Ha! You must be joking. Dismiss the speeding and I'll pay the non moving violation front plate, which is a BS anyways.

Her: done

I probably should have gotten the whole thing dismissed, but I didn't want to risk the judge resetting the court date if this officer was in fact out due to surgery.

Southfork between CR 92 and 288 is another good one. Posted 30! Two lanes each direction with a median and sidewalks 20 feet from the road. Yes, there are subdivision entrances but no houses front on this road. There's occasionally a Brazoria County sheriff's deputy out there hiding behind some trees and they usually get someone. This should be at least 40.

Southfork between CR 92 and 288 is another good one. Posted 30! Two lanes each direction with a median and sidewalks 20 feet from the road. Yes, there are subdivision entrances but no houses front on this road. There's occasionally a Brazoria County sheriff's deputy out there hiding behind some trees and they usually get someone. This should be at least 40.

Yep, I saw him out there yesterday morning hiding behind some bushes. It's a good thing they don't have laser radars..I can pick up his signal way ahead of time.

There's no reason that street should be 30mph. There's nothing in that stretch, even schools.

...Another example of unfair taxation.

• 2 months later...

35? Holy!! I visit my friends in SCR regularly and use that stretch of Kirby whenever. I have to confess to 65mph. Wifey cautioned me so I know. Thank God I've been fortunate with those mean Pearland cops.

Talking about cops, I call 288 from 610 to Hwy 6 'CIA' (Cop infested area)

• The title was changed to Sam Houston Tollway Between FM 2234 & Kirby Dr.

Archived