Cy-Fair Area Walmart?

futuredeveloper85

I attened Prairie View A&M University located about 45 miles northwest of downtown Houston. I have always loved Dallas Ft-Worth becasue of the type of retail and box-box establishments they have in the Metroplex. Last month while looking for a house in Plano, Texas I had the chance to go into the one-of-a-kind Upscale Expermental Wal Mart in West Plano on Parker Rd at the Dallas North Tollway. Reading the Wikipedia page for Cypress, Texas I see that 77429 (my current zip code) is considered once of the most affulent zip codes in USA becasue of the median incomes in the area. I think the Cy-fair area would be a great location for Wal Mart to build another upscale concept store...just an idea....

To what degree is the experimental WalMart 'upscale'? Fine or rare wines? Diamonds like Costco? Rolex dealership? Considering the WalMart threshold is so low, maybe it's simply cashmere-blend sweaters and mid-grade espresso machines to make the jump to upscale.

Hey, Niche, it could mean big things for your wardrobe!

( ;) couldn't resist)

I'm convinced it's one of the seven circles of hell and makes me worry a little bit about being such a bad lapsed Catholic girl; I could end up perpetually in the houseware section trying to decide between the pastel or cow motif placemats.

But.......I seem to remember a bit on 60 Minutes or similar a couple of years back .... about a test WalMart (or maybe Sams Club) in Plano built to compete with Costco. I've never heard anything more about it until now. Seems like a expensive modification to their business model, but given their control over distribution, they could offer luxury items at lower prices. Assuming, of course, their customers would would buy them.

Walmart's customers tend to drop in "sophistication" at least one level after 10:00PM and it goes exponential after midnight. If you don't believe me, go to the Dunlavy one at 2:00AM. So does this mean that an upscale Walmart will be suffering from soccer moms and latte carrying college students at 2:00AM?

I say any Wal-Mart is a bad one...and we certainly dont need another Wal-Mart in NW Houston. We do have a Walmart neighborhood market on Grant and Eldridge in NW Houston. I think that is only a grocery store but it's the only "experiment" that I know of from Wal-Mart in Houston.

I agree that Wal-Mart is the worst place I can think of shopping. I also think Target has a hold on the "cheap upscale" shopping in NW Houston, don't know if Wally could get a peice of that or not.

Walmart's customers tend to drop in "sophistication" at least one level after 10:00PM and it goes exponential after midnight. If you don't believe me, go to the Dunlavy one at 2:00AM. So does this mean that an upscale Walmart will be suffering from soccer moms and latte carrying college students at 2:00AM?

Ick, late night WalMart shopping. The last time I had the misfortune of being in one a few years back, was about midnight to get a new pipe wrench to fix a rather immediate problem. Felt like I needed a .45 and a hazmat suit just to get in and out safely.

Dunlavy? Do you mean Dunvale?

There are no Wal-Marts inside 610. - But the Meyer Park one is just outside 610. :)

Northwest Harris (no, I am NOT referring to Northwest Houston - I am referring to northwest Harris) should get a Whole Foods or a Central Market if it wants true upscale shopping.

Northwest Harris (no, I am NOT referring to Northwest Houston - I am referring to northwest Harris) should get a Whole Foods or a Central Market if it wants true upscale shopping.

I send at least one e-mail a month to Whole Foods and Central Market begging for one. Whole Foods did just open one in Sugar Land, so hopefully that will help our chances. I'm tired of having to drive all the way into town for some meat and produce that hasn't been handled like a hacky sack.

As far as an "upscale" Wal-Mart, I join the chorus of voices shooting this idea down. The only Wal-Mart movement I'd like to see is it packing up and going away. I had a car emergency not too long ago and had to run in at close to midnight for an air filter. The men in there were creepy -- it looked like a sex offender's convention. I was literally running to the checkout and had 911 already dialed on my phone when I was in the parking lot. It's THAT bad.

Walmart's customers tend to drop in "sophistication" at least one level after 10:00PM and it goes exponential after midnight.

I'm trying to figure out whether I ought to feel insulted. I'm a night-owl, usually tied up during the day and into the evening, so the S. Post Oak Blvd. Wal-Mart is really convenient for non-grocery shopping.

I don't feel unsafe at all, but certainly the demographics do decline. Wal-Mart targets the po' after all, and the working po' go to work in the morning and sleep at night. Even the unemployed po' in family households have to order their lives around their kids' school schedule. So that leaves the unemployed single po' that are likely to be active at those hours...and myself...as pretty much all that's left for Wal-Mart after midnight.

I am pretty sure we all know the area we are talking about here, but thanks for being so specific. Also, didn't Houston just Annex part of Fairfield??? Perhaps the distinction will soon become moot....

As for Whole Foods or Central Market...HEB just put in the Cafe on the Run at the new store, so that is probably all this area will handle in that regard (or at least all they are willing to risk). I would like to see them expand the Cafe on the Run into a full restaurant like the Central Market in Austin has. I don't know why they don't do those in Houston.

Whole foods could come in, but I bet if they expand beyond Sugarland, it would be in the Woodlands, even though it would take us NW "HARRIS" folks longer to get to a Woodlands local than the Kirby location. The Woodlands seems to be getting everything now...

I'm trying to figure out whether I ought to feel insulted.

Wal-Mart targets the po' after all, and the working po' go to work in the morning and sleep at night. Even the unemployed po' in family households have to order their lives around their kids' school schedule. So that leaves the unemployed single po' that are likely to be active at those hours...and myself...

You shouldn't be insulted at all. In fact, you're the royalty, the upper crust, of late nite WalMart shoppers. Other than the occasional pimp, I guess.

Plano was a prototype store. The Woodlands West Walmart was supposed to be upscale. It is nicer than most of them. They are the highest grossing WalMart is their district. They had such high sales last quarter that every employee is getting $800 in Feb. My neighbor is a manager at that Walmart.

I'm sure the new Walmart on Sawdust will be nice too.

It is nice to go into The Woodlands West Walmart and not be greeted by vagrants or pregnant moms wearing torn up t shirts (has happened to me in other Walmarts before). It's the only one I'll go to now.

• The title was changed to Cy-Fair Area Walmart?

Archived