Tinseltown Westchase Closed

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And it's out of business too.

I think Greenway was doomed by its location. It took me 11 years after I moved to Houston to finally go to the trouble of figuring out where that place was. You could see the sign from the 59 access road but for the life of me I had no idea where the theater was. I finally agreed to meet some people there one night and had to drive around the place half a dozen times and ask a security guard before I found it. The friends I was meeting had even more trouble.

I lived out by "Tinkletown" when I first moved to Houston. It was a nice place for about 3 months. Then the teenage gangsters moved in and I never went back. I'm glad to see it go. Now we need to get rid of most of the apartment complexes behind it too.

Now we need to get rid of most of the apartment complexes behind it too.

It's an odd area. Just a mile or so away you have +$1M homes in Royal Oaks country club (walled-off of course) and in between, all manner of incomes, ages, ethnicities, and so forth. I really miss living in W. Houston, but after Katrina (and a new job in north Houston) I figured it was time for me to go.

It's an odd area. Just a mile or so away you have +$1M homes in Royal Oaks country club (walled-off of course) and in between, all manner of incomes, ages, ethnicities, and so forth. I really miss living in W. Houston, but after Katrina (and a new job in north Houston) I figured it was time for me to go.

I think Royal Oaks may be the only thing that has kept the area just West of the Beltway from going down the tubes. However, I can't imagine that if I had $1m to spend on a home that I would move to Royal Oaks.

I drive past "Tinkletown" on the Beltway access road everyday on my way to work. Every morning I would see these girls in skimpy outfits walking down the sidewalk at 6:00am and I'd wonder what they were doing up so early dressed like that. A friend of mine got in a minor accident there one day and the cops told him that the motels are full of prostitutes. I can't beleive I was so naive. It got really bad for a while, you'd actually see pimps wearing hats and flashy clothes with girls following behind them on the sidewalk.

Anyway, I've noticed lately that I'm not seeing near as many prostitues as I used to. Maybe there is hope for the area yet.

I think Royal Oaks may be the only thing that has kept the area just West of the Beltway from going down the tubes. However, I can't imagine that if I had $1m to spend on a home that I would move to Royal Oaks.

I drive past "Tinkletown" on the Beltway access road everyday on my way to work. Every morning I would see these girls in skimpy outfits walking down the sidewalk at 6:00am and I'd wonder what they were doing up so early dressed like that. A friend of mine got in a minor accident there one day and the cops told him that the motels are full of prostitutes. I can't beleive I was so naive. It got really bad for a while, you'd actually see pimps wearing hats and flashy clothes with girls following behind them on the sidewalk.

Anyway, I've noticed lately that I'm not seeing near as many prostitues as I used to. Maybe there is hope for the area yet.

Personally, I really liked Westchase. It was close enough to town, but far enough away. It also had a lot of shops and stores and gyms (there are like three 24 Hour Fitness locations on Westheimer past the BW8). All in all it was great ... but after Katrina, and the influx of folks from NOLA, things changed.

I haven't seen a nice Tinseltown ever. In Dallas, the (nice) neighborhood where I lived drove them away when they planned to redevelop an old shopping center into one of their theaters. I wasn't sure what the big deal was, but they found a different location further, I visited it once, and it was also really bad. They attract gang activity wherever they go.

Cinemark owns Tinseltown I believe. Tinselton is like a subsidary.

I never realized that the Westchase motels had cheaters as well as businessmen!

I know that the southside of Houston (between 610 and 288 on Beltway 8) has a few motels, and due to lack of visibility from the freeway and lack of proximity to business and leisure areas. I bet that the only significant activity at those places consists of men and women cheating on their spouses!

Look for the Palace Inn, Sony Motel, some "610 Motel," and other great places in the southside! Someone should openly market them as love hotels...

Does anyone know if there is any way to buy items that are salvaged from this theater? I drive past it everyday and just look closely at the large Tinseltown handwritten neon sign. Seems that someone will want to purchase? There are several along the whole building. Just seems like a waste to see them trashed. Did this theater also have curtains on each screen? What items would you want? :)

I used to live in an apartment in Westchase and had a PO Box at the Rogerdale Post Office. I drove down the Belt feeder from Westheimer to Richmond everyday from 2002 to 2005 and NEVER once saw a pimp wearing a hat & flashy clothes following his girls down the streets. Now, the girls did exist. But after complaints from anonymous concerned citizens (raises hand), the HPD bike patrol starting heavily patrolling the area. I talked to an HPD bike officer one day at the post office and he told me that these girls worked in teams and had rooms on retainer from deals cut with the hotels' front desk clerks (because supposedly the clerks are supposed to report to their managers the ones that might be hookers). The officer also said that some of the girls were part of the old bait and hook scam where a John would go up to the room only to get robbed by the girls pimp.

I have yet to see any girls there since the end of 2004, and even now when I'm in the area I don't see them like I used to.

I used to live in an apartment in Westchase and had a PO Box at the Rogerdale Post Office. I drove down the Belt feeder from Westheimer to Richmond everyday from 2002 to 2005 and NEVER once saw a pimp wearing a hat & flashy clothes following his girls down the streets. Now, the girls did exist. But after complaints from anonymous concerned citizens (raises hand), the HPD bike patrol starting heavily patrolling the area. I talked to an HPD bike officer one day at the post office and he told me that these girls worked in teams and had rooms on retainer from deals cut with the hotels' front desk clerks (because supposedly the clerks are supposed to report to their managers the ones that might be hookers). The officer also said that some of the girls were part of the old bait and hook scam where a John would go up to the room only to get robbed by the girls pimp.

I have yet to see any girls there since the end of 2004, and even now when I'm in the area I don't see them like I used to.

Yep, it looks like they've done something to get rid of them all. By complaining you've become a member of a rare club of people who have actually done something to better a neighborhood. Congratulations.... :)

I saw them tearing it down the other day when I was in the area. I also saw that the Asian skyscraper development in that area has started. If the developers of that are smart they could make that into like a downtown for chinatown. And Houston could have a real urban china town.

I saw them tearing it down the other day when I was in the area. I also saw that the Asian skyscraper development in that area has started. If the developers of that are smart they could make that into like a downtown for chinatown. And Houston could have a real urban china town.

Yes, I love this whole section of the beltway, that is; from around Westpark all the way to 1-10. Has a very modern and futuristic look to it. There are numerous very nice projects all around here. :D

I have a feeling most mega-theater-elephants will not survive for long here. There's just something about them that starts out fine then it dwindles to trouble spots.

Buona sera Tinkletown...

I have a feeling most mega-theater-elephants will not survive for long here. There's just something about them that starts out fine then it dwindles to trouble spots.

Movie theaters are one of the least permanent types of structures. They are filled with sound deadening material that accumulates bacteria at an alarming rate. Combine that with the rates of change for presentation technology and consumer tastes and you get a situation where it makes better economic sense to let them decay, tear them down and rebuild than it does to maintain them.

I also saw that the Asian skyscraper development in that area has started. If the developers of that are smart they could make that into like a downtown for chinatown. And Houston could have a real urban china town.
That would be nice, but I think the true downtown for the new Chinatown area is going continue to be on Bellaire, between Ranchester and Corporate.

I wonder if the Park 8 project is still alive. I drive by there every day and haven't seen any activity at the site in a long time. The crane has been there since ~August and AFAIK hasn't moved at all (except when the wind blows!). The billboard facing the freeway is now faded and mostly illegible. Maybe the developer lost his financing?

Movie theaters are one of the least permanent types of structures. They are filled with sound deadening material that accumulates bacteria at an alarming rate. Combine that with the rates of change for presentation technology and consumer tastes and you get a situation where it makes better economic sense to let them decay, tear them down and rebuild than it does to maintain them.

So, how long do you think the Edwards will last?

These Tinseltown stories remind me of the time when I was filling my car at a gas station. Some guy drives up to the station holding a gold necklace out of his car.

He talks to me and I was like "No, I didn't lose it." He said that he was selling the necklace. I said no thanks and he drove away.

All the Tinseltown's were ghetto within 2 years of being built... Edwards at Weslayan pisses me off b/c you have to pay to park, and they only accept cash -- I mean what year is it? Who carries cash?

Angelika is the nicest theater... no pay to park, nice views of the city, clean, no kids.

So, how long do you think the Edwards will last?

Last in what sense? It's already looking threadbare, and the funk of theater death grows daily.

Angelika is the nicest theater... no pay to park, nice views of the city, clean, no kids.

They cropped "Citizen Kane" to 1.85:1 aspect ratio. Some crimes can never be forgiven.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really thought that I'd miss Tinseltown, if only because of fond high school memories...but I don't. I really don't. I don't miss having my hubcaps stolen, the fights between random 13-year-olds, the disgusting "food court" or the sticky seats and armrests. The new theater at Memorial City is so nice and (usually) kid-free, not to mention much more convenient.

You have to wonder how much longer that will last, though...

Thats a concept that never made sense at least not to me. If you drink brewsky while watching a flick surely a person will be getting up to go use the RR every 5 minutes so you miss the movie. They should just put a bucket under the seat with a hose or something so you dont have to bother others going to the can and not miss an important scene.

As for the ladies well thats going to take some more creativity. :ph34r:

I for one am very happy a huge office complex is going up where this blasted gangsta theater once stood.

Thats a concept that never made sense at least not to me. If you drink brewsky while watching a flick surely a person will be getting up to go use the RR every 5 minutes so you miss the movie. They should just put a bucket under the seat with a hose or something so you dont have to bother others going to the can and not miss an important scene.

As for the ladies well thats going to take some more creativity. :ph34r:

http://www.biorelief.com/stadium-gal.html

:blink::blink::blink:

Archived