Tinseltown Westchase Closed

Tinseltown Westchase, at BW8 and Richmond closed last weekend, and it appears will be demolished soon for development of low rise offices. HBJ article (first item):

Tinseltown deal

Sad to see it go. We'll have to head over to Memorial City or Studio 30 (ugh). The bright side is that there's a Cinema Moviegrill going in at the old Town and Country :)

With the exception of a cluster of high rises around Westheimer/Briar Forest, BW8 on the west side is a pretty uninspiring drive.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that was rather quick that theater is only about 10 years old, I think. But I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, as that is basically almost part of the energy corridor it was bound to increase in value rather quickly.

Sad to see it go. We'll have to head over to Memorial City or Studio 30 (ugh). The bright side is that there's a Cinema Moviegrill going in at the old Town and Country :)

Tinseltown was in the gutter to say the least. Trashy and ghetto is what it had become. Studio 30 is on it's way but it is still cleaner and nicer than Tinseltown Westchase was.

I only go to Studio 30 when I have to. I greatly prefer Edwards on Weslayan. I just valet the car, run in, watch my movie and I'm out. The valets love me too. They will wash my car for me, fill up the tank, etc. Benefits of being nice and a good tipper I suppose.

They really impressed a girl on a date I was one once with an ex of mine in from out of town. The car was a little dirty because of the rain and the inside had gotten a little cluttered and muddy. We valeted, went inside and watched the movie. After the movie, we head down to get the car and get to the door and it is running, cooled off and waiting already. Additionally, it was shining from having been freshly washed and it was tidy inside with freshly vaccuumed carpets, cleaned windows and dash, and all the trash had been removed. They didn't even charge me for it.

Really nice guys.

I was actually over in that neighborhood last week and noticed it closed. That part of town was where I first lived when I moved to Houston 10 years ago and it's amazing how much that area has changed with Royal Oaks coming in, etc etc.

Agree, though, that it was time for it to go. The building itself had become pretty trashy and ghetto and there is no way I would EVER go to a movie there after dark anymore. Lots of suspicious looking folks in the parking lot and inside made it feel pretty low rent and unsafe.

Our office building was fired at in 2006, and police surmised the shots came from the Tinseltown parking lot. I'm in a corner office, and had shots through all of my windows - couldn't figure out why my computer wouldn't work on Monday morning until I saw the shell casings on my desk and bullet holes through the back of my hard drive. :lol:

I drive past this place every work day and after 4:00PM it always seemd quite dead.

It makes sense that a business gets tired of the trouble it attracts and the liability (there goes that word) that puts them in jeopardy each and evey day. Hell, I would shut it down too. However, doing so only pushes the troublemakers to another nearby local. Same scenario as apartments.

and everyone's fav hood is nearby too... 1 2 3 all together gang....Gulfton! Yippee!

Nice knowing ya Tinsletown. :(

...Not sure what happens to these places, but when they go up - they're nice (or some would say)... but after a couple of years... time for the bullet proof vests. The AMC Gulf Pointe 30 @ B-8/45 needs to be closed and 'dozed next. Sad to think that we'll bulldoze places like the River Oaks theater and shutdown Greenway... and then leave crap like this standing, but hopefully not for much longer....

Hehe at least no one has to worry about that snake that someone spotted anymore....

I think that was the 290 location.

Memorial City's Cinemark is very nice. Its clean and always has security in the parking area. Doesn't seem to have the same ganstalicious feeling of Edwards on Ol' Katy.

I was actually disappointed with the interior apperance. The brightly-lit parking lot as well as highly visible security made up for it though.

I am sad to see it close. I have seen alot of movies there, but I knew it was a matter of time from about 2001 or so. Area is just too crime ridden, very scary coming out of the movies after a 9pm show.

Two words: Bad Management. We stopped going around 2002 when we started noticing the little things like the lack of parking lot security, interior security, dirty carpets, torn & stained seats, and filthy, sticky theater floors.

I think this was also around the time they got popped by one of the local stations for selling rated R movie tickets to minors. As for me, I spend my money at the Draft House or the AMC in First Colony.

Our office building was fired at in 2006, and police surmised the shots came from the Tinseltown parking lot. I'm in a corner office, and had shots through all of my windows - couldn't figure out why my computer wouldn't work on Monday morning until I saw the shell casings on my desk and bullet holes through the back of my hard drive. :lol:

Shell casings are what is ejected from the gun when it's fired, and can be found at the site of where the bullets are shot, not where the bullets land.

Maybe you meant the slugs? If you did indeed find casings in your office, someone had a hell of a good time at your (or your company's) expense.

that was rather quick that theater is only about 10 years old, I think. But I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, as that is basically almost part of the energy corridor it was bound to increase in value rather quickly.

Wow ... that is quick! I always thought that was an odd place for a theater and it seems the parking lot was almost always half-empty.

I am interested to see what springs up in its place.

Maybe you meant the slugs? If you did indeed find casings in your office, someone had a hell of a good time at your (or your company's) expense.

Yep, it would have to be slugs - I'm not a gun person, obviously. I got "casings" from all the junior CSI'ers wandering around and looking out the windows through framed hands to expertly pontificate about what type of gun it was, whether the shooter was moving and how fast, what the motive might have been, etc. Wish I had known the correct terminology - it might have made them vanish as quickly as the appearance of the REAL police. :lol:

I drive past this place every work day and after 4:00PM it always seemd quite dead.

Actually that's the best time to go to the movies is on a weeknight. I live a few blocks from the Edwards on Weslayan @ 59 and walk over there at least once or twice a week to see something playing. I can't tell you how many times I've been the only one in the theater. It's like my own private home theater! I can't stand crowds...especially today's youth (and I'm only 35!)

Last Friday nite I did a rare thing and went to a 10:30p showing of "Cloverfield." I got there half-hour early and the theater was already packed with young punks...all texting each other on their cell phones...which they continued to do during the film! It was a good reminder why I only go during the week.

There are some who prefer to wait for the DVD but for some movies you need that "theater experience."

Just my two-cents!

Last Friday nite I did a rare thing and went to a 10:30p showing of "Cloverfield." I got there half-hour early and the theater was already packed with young punks...all texting each other on their cell phones...which they continued to do during the film! It was a good reminder why I only go during the week.

There are some who prefer to wait for the DVD but for some movies you need that "theater experience."

Just my two-cents!

Hear, hear!

I got ya. and we thought it was bad when people were giggling & talking during the films. Much worse now. The new technology of all those gizmos ie cell phones, lazer lights, etc is why I am so glad I seldom go to movie theaters.

Like you said only do I go when its very early, completely avoid the a-hls.

As I stated earlier, there must have been numerous fights, scuffles and crap so "corporate" management had to close it. Would you want to baby sit a bunch of bleep...bleep....bleep day in and day out? Hell no.

I hadn't been to a movie there since about 2003, back when I still lived in Westchase. Even when I moved to Houston in January 2000 that theater was pretty undesirable. The first movie I saw there was around February 2000 and my friend and I didn't really feel safe given the crowd there and the activity going on in the parking lot. And even back then the theater looked pretty unkempt inside. The last time I went I sat down in the theater and quickly realized that the seat was damp -- and then I realized it wasn't damp from a spilled drink but from urine, as the smell was unmistakable. I vowed I'd never see a movie there again, even though it was just a mile from my home at the time.

I generally prefer the River Oaks, Angelika, and Edwards Greenway. That was the case back when I lived in Westchase and remains true today living inside the Loop.

I think that was the 290 location.

I was actually disappointed with the interior apperance. The brightly-lit parking lot as well as highly visible security made up for it though.

Two words: Bad Management. We stopped going around 2002 when we started noticing the little things like the lack of parking lot security, interior security, dirty carpets, torn & stained seats, and filthy, sticky theater floors.

I think this was also around the time they got popped by one of the local stations for selling rated R movie tickets to minors. As for me, I spend my money at the Draft House or the AMC in First Colony.

I haven't seen a nice Tinseltown ever. In Dallas, the (nice) neighborhood where I lived drove them away when they planned to redevelop an old shopping center into one of their theaters. I wasn't sure what the big deal was, but they found a different location further, I visited it once, and it was also really bad. They attract gang activity wherever they go.

I saw the Horrorfest 2007 offering Mulberry Street at Westchase Tinkletown...er, Tinseltown back in October. Now that was a form of Cloverfield with a lesser budget and more intimate form. It was a hell of a movie just like Cloverfield too. Too bad Mulberry Street didn't get the hoopla because that was a superb high octane horror-sci fi flick!

It did start to remind me of the breakdown Westminster went through but I didn't think it would shutter.

I'm sad to see it go because of the convenience of location. I didn't think it was a godawful place for a theater location, in fact, I liked the Beltway 8 vista while standing in line. But there are other theaters to go, even if a bit further out.

Truthfully I was very saddened of the closings of Westchase AMC on Gessner/Westheimer and Westminster Dollar Theater. Lots of great memories. And there's something of the angled strip locations of those particular small theaters that always kinda excited me. It was cool to walk down the sidewalks and look at that toy store, the Kasra Persion resaurant and some of the other shops before entering Westhchase. Kind of like an oblique mini-Main Street thing, Houston style. Those were the days.

I have only been there twice...not worth going to. The Tinseltown theaters tend to be rather low-brow in nature. I tend towards AMC (First Colony 24 preferably) and Edwards, not to mention the arthouses (River Oaks, Angelika, etc). I also take up renting DVDs as well, and I have never been to one of those movie diners yet, though I have seen good reviews of them.

And speaking of the controversial "damp seat", aren't they subject to inspection by the Health Department? :wacko:

I haven't seen a nice Tinseltown ever. They attract gang activity wherever they go.

All true.

Best to patronize only theaters that cater to a more mature crowd like where foreign/independant/rare films are shown. Ex: Greenway rarely had a thug crowd. :D

Archived