The Mix @ Midtown: Retail At 3201 Louisiana St.

bwj

Either I haven't noticed it before, or a new sign popped up at Louisiana and Elgin, next to the big parking garage. They are advertising commercial leases available in 2006. Hopefully it will be something comparable to the new High Fashion Home, which I've been impressed with.

• Like 1

Yes, I've seen this as well, and I'm not sure if they're talking about a different project from the one that shows a picture of a two-story building with retail or not.

One thing that concerns me, though, is that there have been retail parcels available at the HCC building on the southside of Elgin for years and only a copy center and computer supply joint have leased space. I hope it's not an indicator of retail interest in the area.

I think (and hope) the traffic generated from High Fashion Home may spill over to this new retail space. HFH has enjoyed a good steady flow of traffic from my observation - I drive past it a couple of times a day. From the look of the folks walking in and out of there, they seem to have a nice amount of disposable income.

The fact the new place will have the parking garage for customers - around 300 parking places - should make it attractive for shops that tend to get a good amount of traffic.

The space in HCC seems a little hard to notice to me. If I were evaluating space, I wouldn't find that area as attractive as this new space popping up.

• 1 month later...

A sign at the southeast corner of Louisiana and Elgin promotes a proposed shopping center with attached parking garage at that site (formerly occupied by the French Quarter theater.) Architects are listed as Gensler & Associates, with marketing handled by Crosspoint Properties.

The rendering shows a bookstore as a major occupant, although no specifics are listed about signed tenants. Attractive design - any word if this project is a 'go'?

• 1 year later...

Southeast corner; has been vacant for several years (was the site of the notorious French Quarter theater.)

Lot was fenced in a month or so ago, and dirt is being moved now. Also, holes have been punched in the side of the parking garage just east of this lot (Elgin @ Milam, former parking for High Fashion Fabrics.)

Any info on what's being built?

Guest danax
More info:

here, and here.

Midtown really needs this to fire it into the next logical wave of development, modern retail, which will then lift it into the realm of a real nabe.

I like the rendering. They're showing the way to combine the realities of our age, car use, with our innate desire for a pleasing skin.

I hope the project actually happens and, if it does, it doesn't end up being a scruffy mutt once the beancounters take over.

• 2 months later...

I had given up on hoping this would be built -- after the sign had been up for 1+ year. In fact, when I saw them pour the foundation on the right part of the property, it looked to me like a parking lot.

Here's hoping it goes through as described -- my favorite restaurant is on a nearby block, and I spend alot of time around here.

Last time I clicked on Jax's links, they didn't work. First one still doesn't, but second one does. And boy am I glad. I'm extatic! As small as this, it looks really cool.

I really love how they are creating an inset for on street parking. Or does that already exist?

prop1_image.jpg

Which restaurant Woolie? Mai's?

Mai's is usually ok, but somewhat variable in level of service and quality of food. I ate there frequently back in the 2000-2004 timeframe, and still do sometimes at night. But my favorite is Cali Sandwich, where I get banh mi or vermicelli dishes a couple times a week. It's cheap, fast, and close to where I live.

If I recall, the existing parking garage that will be adjacent is kinda dumpy looking. Does anyone know of any plan to renovate it? The model still keeps the dumpyesque exterior.

They are definitely cleaning it up a bit. I dont think you will see a total redo, but I have seen some walls and paint going up around the garage. Not sure what the finished product is going to look like, but its apparent they are at least addressing the garage.

As for the building, lots of steel beams were laying on the ground this weekend and a crane is on site. I think we will be seeing the shell being put up very soon!