Just Bought A New Hp W2207h 22" Monitor

I had a few best buy gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and decided to splurge and trade up from an older flat panel 17" Samsung to a new HP w2207h monitor (h=hdmi). It is an LCD, but has a plasma-like screen, which means richer colors and better contrast. Our computer room has 5 windows, so glare was a concern. However, it turned out to not be a non-issue. There is a bit of reflection, but it isn't bad at all. One of the cool feautures of this beauty is that you can pivot it from portrait to landscape. Funny enough, back in the day I had a monochrome CRT monitor that did the same thing. Guess it never really caught on, but HP seems to have brought it back. Unfortunately, the pivot is part of the base, and so I lost the ability by mounting it on the wall. Oh well, I guess it is a bit gimmicky for the average user.

The PC has an Nvidia Gforce graphics card with a standard VGA output. I will be putting a better card on my birthday list, LOL.

Anyway, if anyone is considering a monitor upgrade, I say you probably cannot go wrong with this one

2202498275_f545c5874d.jpg

Wow .. that is a sweet looking monitor.

On the topic of monitors, I have an issue with my 19" Westinghouse. I use it with my laptop when I am at my desk and it doubles my workspace.

However, I have noticed that it is too bright. Not sure if it's because I am sitting close, but even on the economy setting and lower brightness levels it just seems exceptionally bright and often bothersome to my eyes.

Do you ever have that issue?

I was just looking at this display last night to buy. I'm seriously considering it save for the fact that Dell has a 24" for $40 more. The 24" HP is over $200 more.

The pivot could be cool, but I don't really see much use for it.

I was just looking at this display last night to buy. I'm seriously considering it save for the fact that Dell has a 24" for $40 more. The 24" HP is over $200 more.

The pivot could be cool, but I don't really see much use for it.

Ditto. But you know what I would do? Buy two of them. Keep one in the horizontal, the other in a vertical orientation, off to the side. A friend of mine has this setup. Reading web pages on a vertical-oriented monitor is almost like reading a newspaper. But its tiresome/kinda stupid constantly flipping the monitor around. That's a $700 solution (2 monitors, about $350 each). But why stop there? HP (and Dell and Gateway and others) also make 30-inch monitors, to compete with Apple's 30-inch Cinema display. $1200 to $1400 dollar range (vs. almost $4000 for the Apple monitor when it first came out.). Maybe two of those? I'm getting nauseous thinking about how much I could spend. Just think I'll stick with my used $75-Dell-20-inch-CRT-I-bought-off-ebay-3-years-ago monitor for now.

Ditto. But you know what I would do? Buy two of them. Keep one in the horizontal, the other in a vertical orientation, off to the side. A friend of mine has this setup. Reading web pages on a vertical-oriented monitor is almost like reading a newspaper. But its tiresome/kinda stupid constantly flipping the monitor around. That's a $700 solution (2 monitors, about $350 each). But why stop there? HP (and Dell and Gateway and others) also make 30-inch monitors, to compete with Apple's 30-inch Cinema display. $1200 to $1400 dollar range (vs. almost $4000 for the Apple monitor when it first came out.). Maybe two of those? I'm getting nauseous thinking about how much I could spend. Just think I'll stick with my used $75-Dell-20-inch-CRT-I-bought-off-ebay-3-years-ago monitor for now.

You actually bring up a good point...I sold my Samsung on craigslist for $80, which brings the price of the monitor down a bit and put the monitor into the hands of someone who can really use it.

I'm going to be changing up my office this week. Right now I have an Apple G4 and a 23" Apple Cinemadisplay as well as an new HP Pavillion dv9500t with a 17" WXGA display (really nice). I've also got a 30" Dell TV that can double as a monitor.

I've been trying to find a way to make my Apple display work with VGA, but since it is ADC, I have to have a powered adapter for it. The only adapter I can find was $350 and it has been discontinued. I was going to hook it up to a KVM to use as the primary display on my G4 and switch it to my laptop when Iw anted to work on it (and use the built in 17" as the secondary display).

It looks like what I'll probably end up doing is rearranging my office and put my 30" in the middle of my desk with my laptop to one side and my 23" to the other. Make the 23" the secondary display on my mac, the 17" the secondary for my laptop (when docked) and the 30" the primary on a KVM.

And when I want to watch TV, I just move my desk chair to the corner and plop down in my big comfy 30 year old leather chair left to me by my grandfather (whichI really need to get reupoholster).

I had a few best buy gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and decided to splurge and trade up from an older flat panel 17" Samsung to a new HP w2207h monitor (h=hdmi). It is an LCD, but has a plasma-like screen, which means richer colors and better contrast. Our computer room has 5 windows, so glare was a concern. However, it turned out to not be a non-issue. There is a bit of reflection, but it isn't bad at all. One of the cool feautures of this beauty is that you can pivot it from portrait to landscape. Funny enough, back in the day I had a monochrome CRT monitor that did the same thing. Guess it never really caught on, but HP seems to have brought it back. Unfortunately, the pivot is part of the base, and so I lost the ability by mounting it on the wall. Oh well, I guess it is a bit gimmicky for the average user.

The PC has an Nvidia Gforce graphics card with a standard VGA output. I will be putting a better card on my birthday list, LOL.

Anyway, if anyone is considering a monitor upgrade, I say you probably cannot go wrong with this one

2202498275_f545c5874d.jpg

I've had that model since Oct and I just love it! The base is large enough to slip my laptop underneath so I can use it as a desktop. I love to sit back on the couch and watch full-screen youtube videos and movies streamed from Netflix. The only drawback is that it is really shiny so it attacts dust like nothing else!

Very nice. That's what I need. My wife can't get her brain around why.

As far as any glare is concerned, I suggest you lose the paper blinds and get some shutters.

Preaching to the choir ;) ! As I paint each window, I install new window coverings. The house has like 35 windows, and half of them have the temporary paper, LOL. From the outside, the paper is almost convincing :).

Archived