KiTiRiK TV Show

jake

First you have to spell the name correctly. The show was on KTRK 13 and they simply added an 'i' between each of the call letters. That's an easy way to remember it.

KiTiRiK

Try Google. Check 13. They have kept a few things from those days. They still have the robot from the Cadet Don Show.

Her son was two years ahead of me in high school. Everyone knew his mother was a hot celebrity. MeeeeeOwwwwwwwwwww!

• 2 years later...

Hello SpaceAge,

My name is Ron. I was one of the lucky few that was able to get on Kitirik's Show. Do you remember "Lucky Bucks". If I remember right, the lucky bucks were the cardboard tops to the Glass Milk Jugs that the milkman dropped off outside our house several times a week. I was about 5 or 6 at the time. Wow, I cant believe I still remember that! LOL! Anyway, I feel fortunate to been able to be on her show. I always thought that her show was the best around, with the exception of "Mighty Mouse". LOL!

Ron

First you have to spell the name correctly. The show was on KTRK 13 and they simply added an 'i' between each of the call letters. That's an easy way to remember it.

KiTiRiK

Try Google. Check 13. They have kept a few things from those days. They still have the robot from the Cadet Don Show.

Her son was two years ahead of me in high school. Everyone knew his mother was a hot celebrity. MeeeeeOwwwwwwwwwww!

Hello SpaceAge,

My name is Ron. I was one of the lucky few that was able to get on Kitirik's Show. Do you remember "Lucky Bucks". If I remember right, the lucky bucks were the cardboard tops to the Glass Milk Jugs that the milkman dropped off outside our house several times a week. I was about 5 or 6 at the time. Wow, I cant believe I still remember that! LOL! Anyway, I feel fortunate to been able to be on her show. I always thought that her show was the best around, with the exception of "Mighty Mouse". LOL!

Ron

Try a search here on Haif under Kitirik and you will find many others that appeared on the show. My ex-sister in law was lucky enough to be on twice (her family had connections). I think there was a topic like "Childrens TV Shows in Houston" or Media/Houston.

Bunny (real name) lives up in Woodlands or Conroe now. We kids loved her and the show! :P

PS, I remember a Mighty Mouse episode where all the mice we Jitterbugging to 40's swing music then that goofy cat (Catnip?)crashed the party.

• 2 months later...
I remember KiTiRiK...I was never on it, but I remember it. Probably one of my earliest TV memories.

Here's the info on Kitirik from Channel 13's website: By Melanie Lawson

Long before Mister Roger's Neighborhood, Sesame Street or dozens of other children's programs, Houston had its own TV star for kids. She was the good luck charm for a station with an unlucky number. It seemed natural for channel 13 to have a mascot dressed as a black cat. And to the thousands of kids who grew up watching Kitirik every day, she was truly the cat's meow.

Her name is Bunny, but at age 23, she became a cat. Bunny Orsak answered an ad in 1954 at a TV station that hadn't even gone on the air yet -- channel 13.

Bunny Orsak/"Kitirik": "They said, 'We have in mind a station mascot and we want her to dress as a black cat.'" So her mother made a hat with ears and a tail attached to black leotards. Bunny drew on the whiskers.

Bunny Orsak/"Kitirik": "I can do that to this day, without even looking."

In those days, everything was done live, so she read commercials, station breaks, even mail and introduced cartoons. A contest gave her a name -- Kitirik -- by putting i's between the station's call letters, KTRK. Then came a studio audience, and the bleachers were filled with excited kids on live TV. But the carousel was the biggest thrill, reserved for kids having birthdays.

Carl McReight clearly remembers his ride on the carousel -- his fifth birthday, in 1971.

Carl McReight/Appeared On "Kitirik": "It was like, wow, this really is it, she really is there. Wow, she really does dress like a cat." And he remembers what happened after the show.

Carl McReight/Appeared On "Kitirik": "I remember she started crying. I remember asking my mother why is Kitirik crying, because being that small it was really devastating to see someone like Kitirik crying. And mom explained this was going to be the last show."

Bunny Orsak/"Kitirik": "I found it out that afternoon, before I did the show. ... I wished I could have finished the year of the kids who had been waiting to come on their birthday, and I wished I could have explained it better."

These days, she works out regularly and at age 69, she's still trim enough to fit into her old leotard. Bunny's had nine lives since Kitirik, from business owner to great grandmother. The retiree divides her time between Lafayette, Louisiana, and Ruidoso, New Mexico. Her two sons live in Austin and the Woodlands.

Bunny Orsak/"Kitirik": "I just loved doing it and to have someone come up to me and tell me they enjoyed it makes me cry."

(Poster's note: That article was written in 2000, when Bunny was 69 years old. She's 76 now. I grew up watching her on TV too. Now I really do feel old.)

Edited by FilioScotia

• 3 months later...

These should bring back a few memories. I remember being in the audience a couple times. Let me tell you one thing, as a 11 year old boy in the audience let's just say she had a most mesmerizing effect on me as she would pass me in the stands. After that, watching her on TV with the neighborhood gang could never compare to her sashaying down the aisle mere inches from moi.

fwqg5c.jpg

2hs3fc9.jpg

se0u0w.gif

3496t4z.gif

2h55r2w.gif

wwbrww.gif

1z1s8zd.gif

2psgjsg.gif

2ur1f0z.jpg

34oavsn.jpg

9fy8tl.jpg

• 2 months later...
I remember KiTiRiK...I was never on it, but I remember it. Probably one of my earliest TV memories.

I also remember when KTRK showed Jack LaLane and Casper cartoons in the morning...and Cadet Don! Anybody remember him? :lol:

Damn that was a lonnnnng time ago, huh? :lol:

I remember Jack Lalane, Casper(was a favorite), and the "singing with the bouncing ball" show. :lol: I'm showing my age, now! Don't recall Cadet Don, but the name is familiar. I remember vaguely a show with a giraffe puppet, could that be "Happy Hollow" or "Mary Jane's Castle"? Couldn't find a pic in the links. Just wondering.

Here ya go!

104gv1v.jpg

My big brother and I remember him quite well. It all seemed so real and the black and white made no difference to us. He was part of the kid line up after him Batman, The Green Hornet, etc. Good ol days.

(See Batman's phone number topic under Historic Houston). There were some updates on Kitirick and Cadet Don in the Chron a few years ago. Pleasant, wholesome memories. :P

I remember Jack Lalane, Casper(was a favorite), and the "singing with the bouncing ball" show. :lol: I'm showing my age, now! Don't recall Cadet Don, but the name is familiar. I remember vaguely a show with a giraffe puppet, could that be "Happy Hollow" or "Mary Jane's Castle"? Couldn't find a pic in the links. Just wondering.

The only show I remember with a giraffe puppet was The Friendly Giant, which aired on channel 8. Jerome Giraffe, I believe (yes, I remembered correctly; thank you, Wikipedia!)

I vaguely remember Marijane's Magic Castle; it was on channel 2, and I think I won a prize of some sort from a contest on it. But that's all I can remember; I was 3, maybe 4 at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
The only show I remember with a giraffe puppet was The Friendly Giant, which aired on channel 8. Jerome Giraffe, I believe (yes, I remembered correctly; thank you, Wikipedia!)

I vaguely remember Marijane's Magic Castle; it was on channel 2, and I think I won a prize of some sort from a contest on it. But that's all I can remember; I was 3, maybe 4 at the time.

i remember mary jane's magic castle and the word koprocotovo (kprctv with o's.). mary jane was kprc's answer to kitirik, but not nearly as famous, nor as prominent in the memories of the baby boomers of houston.

how i always wanted to ride on the birthday merry go round or be in the audience.

i also remember cadet don and seymour.

and my afternoon memories are full of larry kane. couldn't wait to be old enough to be on his show.

I remember all of these. I actually got to go on Kitirik and Cadet Don for various birthdays. I recall that Cadet Don had a fake satellite that looked sort of Sputnikish, where the birthday kids would come up, talk on TV with Cadet Don, and then go get a handful of pennies from the satellite.

I rode on Kitirik's merry-go-round for my birthday once. I must have been 4 or 5. She talked to me, and I took the opportunity to say some embarrassing things about my dad smoking too much on local TV.

I've been to Mary Jane's Magic Castle, but that was in college and I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

I rode on Kitirik's merry-go-round for my birthday once. I must have been 4 or 5. She talked to me, and I took the opportunity to say some embarrassing things about my dad smoking too much on local TV.

I've been to Mary Jane's Magic Castle, but that was in college and I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

My (former) sister in law said she appeared twice for her Bday too.

Can anyone help solve this true mystery? I could swear the phrase "Kitty's Korner" was used in Kitterick's or similar show? They would announce (or TV Guide) would have Kitty's Korner with both K's?

I would gladly buy someone a cheeseburger with the answer. I have wondered for decades.... -_-:D

My (former) sister in law said she appeared twice for her Bday too.

Can anyone help solve this true mystery? I could swear the phrase "Kitty's Korner" was used in Kitterick's or similar show? They would announce (or TV Guide) would have Kitty's Korner with both K's?

I would gladly buy someone a cheeseburger with the answer. I have wondered for decades.... -_-:D

That was another channel 13 show that I can barely remember: Kitty's Corner. Back in October 1966, according to the Houston Post TV guide that I have, it aired at 8:30 in the mornings. Cadet Don was on from 6:30 to 7, then came back from 7:30 to 8:30.

That TV guide had "Kitty's Corner" spelled that way, just the one K. But it did list the Kitirik show (4 PM) as "Kitirik's Karrousel".

That was another channel 13 show that I can barely remember: Kitty's Corner. Back in October 1966, according to the Houston Post TV guide that I have, it aired at 8:30 in the mornings. Cadet Don was on from 6:30 to 7, then came back from 7:30 to 8:30. That TV guide had "Kitty's Corner" spelled that way, just the one K. But it did list the Kitirik show (4 PM) as "Kitirik's Karrousel".

You're thinking of Kitty Borah, a former KTRK personality who later went into corporate public relations at Shell Oil. Here's a link to a newspaper item that mentions her and a lot of other former local TV personalities.

http://www.societyspy.com/archive/05_parts.htm

You'll find her name somewhere down in there.

You're thinking of Kitty Borah, a former KTRK personality who later went into corporate public relations at Shell Oil. Here's a link to a newspaper item that mentions her and a lot of other former local TV personalities.

http://www.societyspy.com/archive/05_parts.htm

You'll find her name somewhere down in there.

Great job Filio you beat me to it with Ms. Borah...Now, whatever happened to Kitirik's helpers -I believe one was NOD the Clown and the other was named Skipper Conlan(sp). I hope my age is not playing tricks on me about those characters...wasn't "Little Kit" Bunny Orsak's son? Again I hope my brain cells aren't playing tricks. :D

Birthday kids on MaryJane's Magic Castle would get to stick their hands into the hollow tree and pull out as many pennies as they could grab. It wasn't even close to Kitirik in kid entertainment value.

Does anyone remember a kid show on KPRC (I think) from late 50's with a character named Captain Bob?

That was another channel 13 show that I can barely remember: Kitty's Corner. Back in October 1966, according to the Houston Post TV guide that I have, it aired at 8:30 in the mornings. Cadet Don was on from 6:30 to 7, then came back from 7:30 to 8:30.

That TV guide had "Kitty's Corner" spelled that way, just the one K. But it did list the Kitirik show (4 PM) as "Kitirik's Karrousel".

Oh my God! So there really was a Kitty's Corner! :o:)

I was about the seek therapy to help me connect that title (kidding). It always stayed in my mind but since I was only about 6-8 yrs old then it seemed more like a dream I had as a child, but it truly existed.

The great attached link only mentiond her name and the show but how did it differ from Kitterick's show? What was Kitty's Corner's format?

I am guessing it must have been around circa 1966-68ish???

Thanks...it's a relief to know Captain Bob wasn't just a figment of my childhood imagination. No one I've asked has ever remembered him.

That must have been before my time ...I do remember going to the Old Channel 2 studios on Post Oak for the "Uncle Bert Lynn" show for birthdays etc....and that was the mid 50s...

Same era I also remember many times going with my family to the studios on Friday nights to be in the audience for the "Curly Fox and Texas Ruby" LIVE music shows :blush: