Klein ISD Bond Plan 2008

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to an article in the Houston Chronicle with accurate facts by Klein ISD, The new HS #5 will be 640,000 square feet and will have a capacity for 3,500 students. The school will be among one of the largest int the USA and the largest in the state of Texas. One of the most recent schools built in Texas over 600,000 square feet was Seven Lakes High School in Katy ISD just topping 610,000 square feet. Many other local school district leaders and committees have criticised Klein ISD for building such large facilities even with Klein Collins High School opening in 2001 topping a nearly very large 560,000 square feet. The new High School #5 will also be one of the most expensive in the country and the state of Texas. The new school has a large price tag of $116 million.

According to an article in the Houston Chronicle with accurate facts by Klein ISD, The new HS #5 will be 640,000 square feet and will have a capacity for 3,500 students. The school will be among one of the largest int the USA and the largest in the state of Texas. One of the most recent schools built in Texas over 600,000 square feet was Seven Lakes High School in Katy ISD just topping 610,000 square feet. Many other local school district leaders and committees have criticised Klein ISD for building such large facilities even with Klein Collins High School opening in 2001 topping a nearly very large 560,000 square feet. The new High School #5 will also be one of the most expensive in the country and the state of Texas. The new school has a large price tag of $116 million.

The largest high school in Texas is Martin High School in Arlington. It has somewhere close to 700,000 square feet. I read it on HAIF somewhere (Mark F. Barnes pulled it up).

I've noticed how the "Vote YES" signs have popped up everywhere throughout the area.

Not sure how I'll vote yet. I know it won't win me any fans on this site, but my child is in private school and would not directly benefit from this VERY expensive bond. However, after I do more research into the issue, who knows. I must say that even though I know KISD needs more room for students in an ever-growing area, it makes it difficult when you don't have kids in those schools. I'm sure residents without school-age children feel the same conflict.

• 2 weeks later...

Just Vote NO! :)

(Great e-mail below that I received this week, it was sent to all my neighbors as well!)

All,

I respect the many ideas that have been exchanged and recognize that there can be multiple perspectives. As we go into the last day of the election, I wanted to share some final thoughts as to why I became suspicious of this bond and researched it. I have included links below to some of the research I have done. I also used LexisNexis for much of the research. If anyone has LexisNexis, and needs those links just let me know.

1. Just because somebody has the biggest bull horn that does not necessarily make them right.

a. We have seen lots of expensive nice signs and fliers. We have learned that the school district cannot pay for them. Who is? I have not given any money, have you?

b. $646 Million dollars is a lot of money. It will be spent on a lot of things and a lot of vendors will benefit.

c. I am trying to get answers on who is giving to the PAC and I have not been able to. When I do, I will share that information.

2. Buy now or it won

Edited by pineda

Yo Pineada, Also check Texas state election law. If I understood what I was reading correctly, the state does provide for very specific election days for most governments, but they say school district can pick any day or time they please. Talk about obfuscation! The district is at least guilty of telling many 1/2 truths. So much for " open and honest communication".

Is there a list of schools that will be constructed and their locations?

Elementary #26

-Right behind Krimmel Intermediate

-Site was supposed to be cleared this month

High School #5

-Spring Cypress, 1 mile west of Gleannloch Farms

-I believe construction will start sometime this year

I not 100 percent sure, but I think construction may start on Intermediate #9 this year also. I have no idea where the location is.

Whew, that was a close one. Well now that the Civil War is over we can start with Reconstruction. I vote that we provide free therapy sessions for all the people who flipped out over this election. I was visiting at my uncle's on Sunday and he practically blew a fuse making an impassioned speech about how it's all about the money, not just in school bond elections, but politics and life in general. It was like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington only in Klein, TX. People are going to need some help recovering from this.

Edited by H-Town Man

Whew, that was a close one. Well now that the Civil War is over we can start with Reconstruction. I vote that we provide free therapy sessions for all the people who flipped out over this election. I was visiting at my uncle's on Sunday and he practically blew a fuse making an impassioned speech about how it's all about the money, not just in school bond elections, but politics and life in general. It was like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington only in Klein, TX. People are going to need some help recovering from this.

I thought you couldn't vote in this election because you live in Dallas now, right?

• 4 weeks later...

The Klein in Touch e-mail sent out yesterday said 2008 Bond Projects to be initiated this summer is as follows: Construction on Elementary #26, Design for High School #5, Design for Intermediate #9, Design for South Transportation Center, and a number of misc. Projects.

Elementary #26

-Right behind Krimmel Intermediate

-Site was supposed to be cleared this month

High School #5

-Spring Cypress, 1 mile west of Gleannloch Farms

-I believe construction will start sometime this year

I not 100 percent sure, but I think construction may start on Intermediate #9 this year also. I have no idea where the location is.

Chris,

You have mentioned that you are a KCHS student with more than a keen interest in Architecture. If you were part of the KCDC that won at State Competition this year, congratulations.

Elementary 26 site clearing has started.

If you want to know where Intermediate 9 is going answer this question. What type of school is next to all four high schools in Klein ISD?

Why are you so interested in Klein ISD's construction projects?

Has anybody noticed that Klein just hired the guy who presided over the Key Middle school debacle to replace Tom Ricker? Mr. Robertson, a Klein Education Foundation board member, recently hired Rick Mann at HISD. Mr. Mann is now the Construction and Facilities Services Support Services manager at HISD. Mr. Robertson was hired by Mr. Mann and the rest of the board Tuesday night. Will wonders never cease? The nepotism and cronyism at Klein have reach the level of incest. All of those board members who sold water to the district were not enough. Then we got a member whose husband is a partner in a law firm that does bidness with the district. It is bad enough that we have three members who are married to administrators, or recently retired ones. Jim Smith's floor fits not withstanding, when will we get to see their idiot children? I can't wait.

Has anybody noticed that Klein just hired the guy who presided over the Key Middle school debacle to replace Tom Ricker? Mr. Robertson, a Klein Education Foundation board member, recently hired Rick Mann at HISD. Mr. Mann is now the Construction and Facilities Services Support Services manager at HISD. Mr. Robertson was hired by Mr. Mann and the rest of the board Tuesday night. Will wonders never cease? The nepotism and cronyism at Klein have reach the level of incest. All of those board members who sold water to the district were not enough. Then we got a member whose husband is a partner in a law firm that does bidness with the district. It is bad enough that we have three members who are married to administrators, or recently retired ones. Jim Smith's floor fits not withstanding, when will we get to see their idiot children? I can't wait.

Rob Robertson's hire had nothing to do with the relationship he had with the School Board. Rob Robertson is a personal friend of Jim Cain and lives in Gleannloch Farms. If you want to point the finger of nepotism make sure you point it in the right direction.

I guess you forgot the fact that all the School Board members are elected officials, not appointed. How nepotism plays into that I am not sure. If you don't like how the School Board is going get out of your chair and run, good luck. Be sure to use proper grammar when addressing the public, thank goodness speaking doesn't require spelling words correctly like "business".

Edited by ENGcons

Time when Klein ISD released these plans last week I have been looking and admireing the new Klein ISD High School #5 since I want to become an Architect. PBK Architects did a tremendous job with this design. This design will be more impressive than the Klein Collins High School design in my opinion. The floorplan is arrange so well and the exterior of the building has so much character and detail.

Front Elevation-Klein ISD High School #5

11180848.jpg

Front Elevation II-Klein ISD High School #5

11180836.jpg

1st Floorplan-Klein ISD High School #5

11180800.jpg

2nd Floorplan-Klein ISD High School #5

11180806.jpg

Siteplan-Klein ISD High School #5

11182331.jpg

Wow, no wonder people out there are so into their bond elections. That looks better than half the 3rd tier college campuses in this state. Very stately. I really feel for kids in less-nice school buildings.

I'm surprised Klein ISD doesn't have its own flag, flying from the flagpole on the rendering.

• 3 weeks later...

Klein ISD made PBK Architects reduce the size of the building from 644,000 square feet to 620,000 square feet. The main entrance was also lowered in height, and the Central Plant was taken out of the design due to cost effeciency.

Klein ISD made PBK Architects reduce the size of the building from 644,000 square feet to 620,000 square feet. The main entrance was also lowered in height, and the Central Plant was taken out of the design due to cost effeciency.

The changes save $168,000. Yea!

Wow, Aldine's 2007 Bond was approved and along with it, a high school at half the cost ($66.8 Million). I hope they use PBK to bring a nicer looking school to our area. So far, the only good looking ones were the ones built in the 90s until now. I hope HS #5 for Aldine is half-as-nice as this.

Edited by Aldine

• 4 weeks later...
http://redinktexas.blogspot.com/2008/07/ho...d-get-away.html

this is the truth. Klein isd is as corrupt as Washington DC.

Actually I am glad that KISD was smart enough to know some idiot was going to try and sue them. After watching what has happened in Waller, and HISD with their bonds being held up, and projects that were needed being held I would have done the same thing. By having their law firm file this and avoid a lawsuit they just saved the taxpayers millions of dollars that would have been wasted due to somebody throwing a tantrum about not getting their way.

Actually I am glad that KISD was smart enough to know some idiot was going to try and sue them. After watching what has happened in Waller, and HISD with their bonds being held up, and projects that were needed being held I would have done the same thing. By having their law firm file this and avoid a lawsuit they just saved the taxpayers millions of dollars that would have been wasted due to somebody throwing a tantrum about not getting their way.

ENGcons,

Why would you be glad to see a governing entity that had such a close vote with 10 of its 15 polling areas voting down the bond be able to go behind those same people backs, so they could get their way? Did it save me tax dollars from waste or just even more from the waste in the bond plan and care of this district to this point?

You and Bill Clinton have alot in common...You waffle on your stances on issues. In the beginning, you were moving against this bond design. What changed your mind? Most people against this bond were not against a bond, just this one's plan. The district's push was for relieving overcrowding in the schools. This plan does not for five years, but in the mean time we will have spent almost $250,000,000 on 1 new high school and 1 replaced. Does that make fiscal sense in the state of our district and need for many more schools sooner. Please remember that with or without this bond, the new elementary would have been built and that with the 1 new, 1 rebuild and additions to the other schools, the high school capacity will be well over the need in 2013. It will take another 3-5 years to get to capacity. Thus the 6th high school will never be needed leaving all the highest growth area driving south 10 -14 miles to the new high school.

Here are several observations made over the course of this election. I know you will give me your two cents no matter what, so I do not really need to ask for them...

1. Why has KHS had to continually say that they must keep their auditorium so cold to keep the mold away? Was the brick not replaced due to faulty construction and isn't it the way the other schools mold remediation was corrected by removing the brick? Would that not be fiscal fraud to remove the brick and not correct that issue and still be planning just to knock it down again in 4 years?

2. With a new state of the art police station right next to the school, would it not be enough security (way more than any of the other schools) to protect the students from a possible intruder? Which, by the way, KOHS actually did have someone get off a train from the tracks that run behind it and come into the school.

3. Where I agree that students should not have to be in an a construction zone, is it fair to send novice drivers to drive through major construction (Grand Parkway) for their years in High School when they are 8 to 14 miles away and there will be 3 schools closer to them and at least 2 that could hold temp buildings? Just think if you have extracurriculars that keep you late at school, young drivers will get to drive home through the construction, late at night for that long distance. Heaven forbid they ride the bus with the constuction...without it they leave home at 6:30am. I guess they will get to move that to 6am with the traffic. I should not forget the gas cost too for the distance and the traffic jams.

4. The year slated for the reopening of KHS is 2013. Is that ironic that it will be the 75th Anniversary of the district? If I remember the 2004 PASA report called for a new High School for 2010 for overcrowding and if KHS has been in such disrepair, why have we waited so long? I truly believe parity is a must for all the students in Klein ISD, but it needs to start with academics first and foremost. True I.Q. 's can't be changed, but minimally putting the class ratios the same on all campuses would help and a huge increase in achievement might be evident.

5. Most of the money for the pro PAC group came from

developers (1 that used every last different name subdivision to break up its contributions),

the architects to gain from this bond along with the construction company,

the banks that have many of the districts accounts,

donations in kind from the copying shop that helped with their publications,

the district's law firm representative,

the school board members and central admin or at least their spouses,

may others in this same range that I can't remember,

and last but not least the handful of families that would directly benefit from the plan (but their donations do not equal much of the actual funds raised).

Most of the money from the other group (I do not want to use anti because it is not anti bond just anti plan)came from

Families from across the district, not just one area

and maybe a handful of businesses.

Being of German descent, I understand the overzealous need for tradition far too well. This district can retain that, but also needs to make room for the others and their needs. KHS may have been the first, but all of the area schools now make up KISD and the board needs to start making that the priority.

Actually if you must know I voted against the bond. I just don't think filing a lawsuit that will spend the taxpayers money to defend, and putting some of these needed projects on hold, to find probably nothing is going to do anyone any good.

The bond passed, deal with it. But don't use my tax dollars to throw your pity party.

• 1 month later...

Klein ISD Intermediate School #9 will be a repeat design of Krimmel Intermediate with slight changes to modify the new school. Krimmel Intermediate School is 177,000 sq. ft, and the new school will be approximately 196,713 sq.ft. One major modify to the plan was a second gymnasium, that tacked on about 10,000 sq.ft alone. It's amazing how Krimmel is one of Klein ISD's smaller Intermediate campuses and the new school will be one of Klein ISD's larger Intermediate campuses, and it's the same floorplan and design. The smallest changes can tack on alot of square footage. The board will approve the modified design on Tuesday.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2. With a new state of the art police station right next to the school, would it not be enough security (way more than any of the other schools) to protect the students from a possible intruder? Which, by the way, KOHS actually did have someone get off a train from the tracks that run behind it and come into the school.

It's because there are so many doors at Klein that they can not keep everybody safe even if the administrators try.

Edited by klein

There is a workshop this evening where the school board is going to discuss scaling back projects in this Bond package due to the current growth not reflective of what the District said it would be. Some projects scaled back on size and some project could be cut all together.

cough.............Klein High School........cough

Because of the current economy growth has stalled in the area and it seems KISD has more than it needs in the bond. Can't wait to see how this Hot Potato pans out.

• The title was changed to Klein ISD Bond Plan 2008