Klein ISD Bond Plan 2008

Chris

The Klein ISD is currently in the process of developing the new 2008 Bond. The Bond Plan will include 15 new Schools (10 Elementarys, 3 Intermediates and 2 High Schools). Other District Facilities will also be included. Many schools and Facilities will also recieve upgrades due to age and ware. The district will also be recieving new buses and technology equipment. The Election is currently proposed for May 2008.

*10 Elementary Schools

$148,979,308

Elementary Schools 26 and 27 sites to be cleared in May of 2008.

Elementary School #27-Huffsmith Korhville Rd. at Lacey Rd., 1 Mile south of Korhville Elementary School.

*3 Intermediate Schools

$114,318,714

*2 High Schools

$318,518,351

High School #5 site to be cleared in March of 2008.

High School #5-Spring Cypress Rd., 1.5 Miles east of SH 249 and 1.5 Miles west of Gleannloch Farms

*Other Schools/T-Buildings

$37,050,701

*Support Facilities

$24,206,126

*District Wide Projects

$40,959,186

*Technology

$105,889,588

*Program Contingency

$1,000,000

*Bond Issuance Fees

$3,954,610

TOTAL BOND PLAN 2008: $794,876,585 with 7% Inflation

Klein ISD Instructional Center Addition:

5 Meeting Rooms, 4 Computer Training Labs, Offices and parking.

Strack Intermediate Fine Arts Addition:

*To begin Construction in April 2008.

Athletics:

*Remodel KMS Home Side Pressbox

*Klein Forest HS Addition/Track Resurfacing

*Schindewolf Locker Room Additions

*All Campuses Gym Floors, Electric BB Goals, RRs and Concessions.

*2nd Stadium to be built with HS #6

*Klein ISD did own land adjacent to Krimmel Intermediate and did plan to construct a 2nd Stadium there, but the predicted Grand Parkway route would have collided with the new stadium. The district still owns the land.

Multi-Purpose Facility:

*A Multi Purpose Facilty to support the CATE Ag Program, District Wide Development and other District Programs. The current Klein Ag Center on the Klein HS Property opened in 1983.

Buses:

*Klein ISD has been purchasing new IC Corp Buses since 2005 now. Each new 71 Passenger Bus cost approximately $90,226 each. They come equipped with lots of features like AC, Intercom System, Low Emissions, LED Tail/Brake Lights and much more. Each Handicap Bus cost approximately $88,203.

*2nd Transportation Center

Elementary Schools #26 and #27 Schematic Design

Strack Intermediate Fine Arts Addition Schematic Design

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They shouldn't neccessarily go up.

#1 It's the our largest Bond to date

#2Klein ISD does not have as large of a tax base as HISD

They shouldn't neccessarily go up.

Just how do you thik those bonds get paid off? Propoerty taxes will rise due to this, not to mention the additional staff that KISD will have to hire to manage a program of this size, the current staff is...................shall I say incompetent.

I heard an interesting story last week about the bond election.

Apparently, the Klein ISD hired the Reuel Group to conduct a phone survey to gauge public interest in the bond election. The company conducted about 350 10-minute interviews the week before Thanksgiving over a three-day period. They specifically targetted older voters who have lived in the Klein ISD zone for at least eight years and have no children or grandchildren currently enrolled in any Klein schools. These older voters were apparently told that senior taxes are frozen and that if the taxes go down, they will benefit from the lower taxes and never pay more. However, property value is not frozen and if property is revalued, taxes will increases.

Even knowing this, the level of support for the bond election, even from this select group of targetted individuals was only about 50%. When these people were polled and asked to rank their perception of issues of importance, they ranked the issues in this order: parental involvement was the most important issue affecting Klein ISD, then came reduced taxes, planning for the future, campus safety, building public confidence, discipline/drugs, overcrowding and least important issue to them: passing a bond election. I thought it was curious that people who have no children or grandchildren enrolled in the district said that parental involvement was their #1 issue they were concerned about. Still scratching my head over that one.

I wonder why other issues were not included like; properly preparing children for like after high school, whether that be college or career with better counselor programs at the middle school and high school levels, the dropout levels at our high schools; the falling graduation rates, the amount of money spent on sports programs vs. the amount of money spent on art, music, science labs, raising teacher pay to ensure that we get the best people available to teach our children in the very expensive schools we're building for them, the number of children per classroom, whether or not what we're teaching them in Klein schools is actually preparing them enough to compete with others not just across the United States but globally, etc.

I don't know what other school districts are like. My kids have always gone to Klein schools, but there has always been a perceived divide in this district between what Klein High gets and what the other schools in this district get/have, and the perception stems from the belief that the school board has always had more people on it whose children attended Klein High than other schools. Whether it's true or not, that is a perception in this district. This new plan to raze Klein High instead of just renovating a 45 year old school only adds to that negative perception that Klein High gets more attention. The original plan was to build two more high schools and a new stadium. Now, the plan is build a new high school, move Klein High students into it, and just add a "wing" onto already overcrowded Klein Oak and NOT build high school #6 until maybe after the next bond election? And they wonder why this bond election is going to be tough to pass???

I don't know what other school districts are like. My kids have always gone to Klein schools, but there has always been a perceived divide in this district between what Klein High gets and what the other schools in this district get/have, and the perception stems from the belief that the school board has always had more people on it whose children attended Klein High than other schools. Whether it's true or not, that is a perception in this district.

Yeah, I don't know if it's true or not but the perception was alive and well when I was going to Klein Oak.

Just a little more information om Elementary Schools #26 and #27. Both buildings will be the exact replicate design of Benignus and Frank (Obviously if you veiwed the schematic designs). The 2 new schools will be 9,540 square feet larger. Benignus andd Frank are both 106,149 square feet and Elementaries 26 and 27 will be approximately 115,689, the largest Elementary school design in the district yet after Kreinhop, Metzler, McDougal and Korhville come in at 108,000 square feet.

DSC04054.jpg

This is a close-up of the gym floor in the brand-new school, Krimmel Intermediate. It looks and feels like painted concrete. In the bond package, there is a provision to replace the gym floors in the intermediate schools. I hope that Klein ISD is not planning to replace our rubber-coated gym floor at Hildebrandt with this stuff. Our kids came back from a game there and they all complained of shin splints and they were just exhausted, after just one game on that floor. We've played in all-day tournaments at some of the older intermediate schools in the district and not had these types of problems.

#1 It's the our largest Bond to date

#2Klein ISD does not have as large of a tax base as HISD

Somebody's got to pay for all these bonds being floated. Wall Street is buying them all and they are definitely funded by taxpayers.

I here a lot about 'taxes won't increase' but that is never the case (I mean, have you seen your taxes ever go down?).

DSC04054.jpg

This is a close-up of the gym floor in the brand-new school, Krimmel Intermediate. It looks and feels like painted concrete. In the bond package, there is a provision to replace the gym floors in the intermediate schools. I hope that Klein ISD is not planning to replace our rubber-coated gym floor at Hildebrandt with this stuff. Our kids came back from a game there and they all complained of shin splints and they were just exhausted, after just one game on that floor. We've played in all-day tournaments at some of the older intermediate schools in the district and not had these types of problems.

I wonder why they would place concrete in Krimmel. They also have the rubber at Schindewolf though. When I was a student at Schindewolf it was great and comfortable, but kids aften liked to write on it. It's the perfect material to write and do grafitti on. That may be one reason they went to concrete. The rubber does ware after years. It's probably time for Schindewolf's to be replaced.

(MAP) How the 2010 Klein ISD High School Zoning should be

Klein High School

-Gains Greenwood Forest Subdivision

-Everything south of Spring Cypress Rd.

-East of Champion Forest Dr.

Klein Collins High School

-Everthing East of Gosling Rd.

-Everything East of Kuykendahl Rd.

-East portion of Klein ISD.

-Does not Gain Windrose.

Klein Oak High School

-Keeps Windrose

-Everything west of Gosling Rd.

-North of Spring Cypress Rd.

-East of Stuebner Airline Rd.

-Partial North of FM 2920.

Klein Forest High School

-Loses Greenwood Forest

-New Zone Border above Wunderlich IS/ South of Greenwood Forest.

-South Portion of Klein ISD.

New Klein ISD High School #5

-Everything West of Champion Forest Dr.

-West of Stuebner Airline Dr.

-South of FM 2920.

-Gains Gleannloch Farms.

-Gains Vintage Lakes.

-West Portion of Klein ISD.

(MAP) How the 2010 Klein ISD High School Zoning should be

Klein High School

-Everything south of Spring Cypress Rd.

-East of Champion Forest Dr.

Klein Collins High School

-Everthing East of Gosling Rd.

-Everything East of Kuykendahl Rd.

-East portion of Klein ISD.

-Does not Gain Windrose.

Klein Oak High School

-Keeps Windrose

-Everything west of Gosling Rd.

-North of Spring Cypress Rd.

-East of Stuebner Airline Rd.

-Partial North of FM 2920.

Klein Forest High School

-Loses Greenwood Forest

-New Zone Border above Wunderlich IS/ South of Greenwood Forest.

-South Portion of Klein ISD.

New Klein ISD High School #5

-Everything West of Champion Forest Dr.

-West of Stuebner Airline Dr.

-South of FM 2920.

-Gains Gleannloch Farms.

-Gains Vintage Lakes.

-West Portion of Klein ISD.

Chris where did you get this info, it is not the same as wht I have seen. Is this something official from KISD?

Chris where did you get this info, it is not the same as wht I have seen. Is this something official from KISD?

No, This is just my own opinion in what I think the plan should be in order to keep the enrollment at Klein Forest down. Klein ISD's Plan is not too much different from mine. They just plan to decrease enrollments at all the other High Schools except from Klein Forest. I just don't think it's fair.

No, This is just my own opinion in what I think the plan should be in order to keep the enrollment at Klein Forest down. Klein ISD's Plan is not too much different from mine. They just plan to decrease enrollments at all the other High Schools except from Klein Forest. I just don't think it's fair.

Chris - I really like your map. Would you mind making the shapes semi-transparent so we can see more detail of your proposed zones?

I really like this map. We're basically at 249 & Louetta and our neighborhood has to drive all the way to KHS for school, with Louetta being fairly congested in the mornings. The new HS should be the one for our area.

Either way though, I'll still be hauling mine all the way to a private school of our choice, as KISD has severely done us wrong.

However, I know the Gleannloch parents are excited about the new schools.

I like that map too.

However, I think you'd have quite a lot of upset folks in Champion Forest who've been sending their children to KHS since time began there in the 1970's.

I think it more realistic to start that boundary line at the RR tracks near Cutten (to include the new Vintage Park area in the new HS zone).

Other than that, great map!

I like that map too.

However, I think you'd have quite a lot of upset folks in Champion Forest who've been sending their children to KHS since time began there in the 1970's.

I think it more realistic to start that boundary line at the RR tracks near Cutten (to include the new Vintage Park area in the new HS zone).

Other than that, great map!

You think residents of Champion Forest would be upset being rezoned to a brand new school?

Chris - I really like your map. Would you mind making the shapes semi-transparent so we can see more detail of your proposed zones?

Yeah, Sure. The colors should be lighter now so you can see all of the street names.

houstonmacbro said

I here a lot about 'taxes won't increase' but that is never the case (I mean, have you seen your taxes ever go down?).

Occasionally they do. Look at you rates on HCAD. My overall bill went down 1% (happy dance) :huh:

ENGcons said

Klein High School

I think thats crazy. :blink: Before Klein Forest was built, Greenwood Forest residents were bussed to Klein (the only high school at the time) Now, once again, you want to send students 6 miles up the road rather than let them attend the school in their neighborhood.

Having been involved with master planning, bond elections, and construction I can say there always seems to be plenty of waste. What's important to one person is of no relevance to no one else. The contractors look at these projects as cash cows. Unfortunately, this seems to be the system the Texas Legislature has given us.

Note that NHMCCD, now LoneStar College, is making plans for a bond election also.

houstonmacbro said

Occasionally they do. Look at you rates on HCAD. My overall bill went down 1% (happy dance) :huh:

ENGcons said

I think thats crazy. :blink: Before Klein Forest was built, Greenwood Forest residents were bussed to Klein (the only high school at the time) Now, once again, you want to send students 6 miles up the road rather than let them attend the school in their neighborhood.

Having been involved with master planning, bond elections, and construction I can say there always seems to be plenty of waste. What's important to one person is of no relevance to no one else. The contractors look at these projects as cash cows. Unfortunately, this seems to be the system the Texas Legislature has given us.

Note that NHMCCD, now LoneStar College, is making plans for a bond election also.

Yeah you have a point, but Klein ISD does not plan to relieve Klein Forest in any way, so thats the only solution that could work. Klein ISD usually does stupid zoning sometimes. For example the Main Entrance to the Village of Avalon Lakes is located on FM 2920 and Alvin A. Klein Dr. Klein ISD buses those kids 3-4 miles down FM 2920 and up Kuykendahl all the way to Schultz Elementary. These kids pass right by Benignus Elementary everyday, I mean Benignus is right across the street, and yet they go 3-4 miles out the way. I don't think it's fair to relieve every Klein ISD High School except Klein Forest. I think it would be a great solution.

Archived