Galveston

Broadway at dusk

Partying with the doctor's and lawyer's kids on the West End in high school

my classmates and I wearing tons of beads to school the Monday after Mardi Gras

the block parties that got a little too dangerous

The smell of the oleanders walking down the sidewalk

The old pool sharks in their leather coats and slacks

My 8th grade teacher that came to school everyday in his Hawaiian print shirts and deck shoes

• 4 weeks later...

Galveston seems to be one of those places you either love or hate. I know people that grew up there that couldn't wait to leave, there are the BOIs that wouldn't want to live anywhere else, and people like me that spend as much time there as possible. The city has a great history, and if the politicians can get it together a bright future.

I know people that grew up there that couldn't wait to leave, there are the BOIs that wouldn't want to live anywhere else, and people like me that spend as much time there as possible. The city has a great history, and if the politicians can get it together a bright future.

I was born in the Island, was one of those "couldn't wait to leave" boi's and left when I was 18. In my youth I didn't realize what a special place it is. I finally went back 34 years later and bought a house intending for Galveston to be home again. Although not realistic for me to live there, I spend at least 2 weekends a month at my Island house.

I have many great memories of Galveston..Stewart Beach amusement park, the roller coaster on 23rd and Seawall, the tamale man with his cart on 25th and Broadway, Shep's Little Chicken Shack on 23rd and M, all of our Italian and Slavic neighbors, the Pleasure Pier, the Pier Drive in, Triple X Root Beer, Surf Drive-in, G & G Bakery, Easter egg hunting in our yard at 13th and Church, the smell of my Grandfather's grocery store on 11th and Postoffice.. I could go on and on but all of those memories are just that... fond memories..none of that exists anymore. The "new" Galveston has the Strand district, Mardi Gras, Lone Star Ralley, Di Bellas, Tremont Hotel, Moody Gardens, Grand Opera House, the wonderful Historic Foundation, the Homes tour and Dickens on the Strand. None of these existed when I grew up there and they are very nice to have around..

Sadly, politics, economics, and neglect have taken their toll on what could be a progressive Gulf Coast destination. I won't give up on Galveston and hope others will continue to visit and help support the economy.

• 4 months later...
I was born in the Island, was one of those "couldn't wait to leave" boi's and left when I was 18. In my youth I didn't realize what a special place it is. I finally went back 34 years later and bought a house intending for Galveston to be home again. Although not realistic for me to live there, I spend at least 2 weekends a month at my Island house.

I have many great memories of Galveston..Stewart Beach amusement park, the roller coaster on 23rd and Seawall, the tamale man with his cart on 25th and Broadway, Shep's Little Chicken Shack on 23rd and M, all of our Italian and Slavic neighbors, the Pleasure Pier, the Pier Drive in, Triple X Root Beer, Surf Drive-in, G & G Bakery, Easter egg hunting in our yard at 13th and Church, the smell of my Grandfather's grocery store on 11th and Postoffice.. I could go on and on but all of those memories are just that... fond memories..none of that exists anymore. The "new" Galveston has the Strand district, Mardi Gras, Lone Star Ralley, Di Bellas, Tremont Hotel, Moody Gardens, Grand Opera House, the wonderful Historic Foundation, the Homes tour and Dickens on the Strand. None of these existed when I grew up there and they are very nice to have around..

Sadly, politics, economics, and neglect have taken their toll on what could be a progressive Gulf Coast destination. I won't give up on Galveston and hope others will continue to visit and help support the economy.

Just found this thread as I was thinking about the ancient roller coaster, all wooden and rickety on the beach and wondering if anyone else remembered it. You asked for opinions about Galveston, I am so surprised to not see vast numbers of responses here. For me being a Houstonian, means spending much time in Galveston as well. From earliest childhood, the entire family - Grandmother, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins would all suffer the crowded non-air conditioned car ride down Old Galveston Road for a day at the beach. Having your picture taken on the back of a poor, long suffering donky or shetland or whatever was on hand, little bucket and shovel and scooping up shells to take home.

Galveston really came into its own for my gang in our teens. West Beach was always the destination and it was heaven. No Beach Pocket Parks, no subdivisions with row upon row of beach houses, just pure nature. We'd swim and beachcomb, but come evening round up driftwood and build a big bonfire for roasting whatever we had, then sit around talking, singing, just enjoying the cool of night, moon and stars and the gentle lapping of the surf. One trip around early college age, a gang of us were there and one was an Architectural student at U of H, who challenged us to hold a house building contest. The driftwood was incredible, large pieces everywhere, some actual bleached trees. So much fun.

There were many trips to water-ski in Offat's Bayou, when that became the rage, I actually went over the big ramp once. We'd ski all day, head home, change clothes and go dancing that night. Did we never tire? Anyway, the island was a constant for me when I lived in Houston and still is for my daughter and granddaughter. We did Searama in the old days, more recently the whole Moody experience, which is grand - love the 3D IMAX, their pool and the Rainforest. I am particularly happy to see the return of the pelicans, so plentiful in my childhood, then missing for a while. The Strand is fun, the Elyssa lovely, nothing beats a fine shrimp dinner on the water at Fisherman's Wharf or one of the over-the-beach places. Touring the old houses is eye-opening, you name it, I love it. Oleanders, wherever encountered, mean Galveston to me.

And now, I am in for a real treat, living landlocked in North Texas as I do presently. In one short month, I am spending a week at the San Luis Resort and getting to do it all again. Well, skipping the water skiing this time.

16 mile road and 18 mile road were the best party spots ever when I was growing up.....you could still drive on the beach then and it was great

some friends of mine had a generator and some others had concert speakers and an amp and they would make great mix tapes and we would chunk the genny in the dunes way away and run an extension cord to the van and we could blow out anyone on the beach

one year we nearly started a riot when the "no fat chicks" signs got out of hand and some guys (we did not know) got more agressive about trying to untie tops ect.

several friends had beach houses in pirates cove and other places close to there so we could pack in 20-30 people to sleep and throw some great parties at night

one time 3 guys we had met and invited walked into the party just as we ran out of beer (well technically we were not completely out, but no one would grab the carlings black label from the fridge it lasted the whole week) and those on a beer run were not back yet so one grabbed a can sitting half full on the bar (idiots that don't finish beers :huh: ) and he held it up and you could see the beer flowing into his mouth......then the cigarette butt :D:o:lol: ......we thought it was funny and we did not care if they stayed....but they all turned around and left :o

another time we all were starving because the 20 bags of doritos, 5 bunches of bananas, and 12 packs of hotdogs did not last us even a night much less 4-5 days.....or the 15 cases of beer......so we went to wendys and we all ordered and I got a side salad with my chicken sandwich and I think by the end we had used that side salad bowl for about 20 side salads......we would eat all each wanted and then rinse it in the water fountain and it was the next persons turn

another time some friends and I (most under age) walked into one of the hotel clubs (wish I could remember which I think it was the Galvez) and we walked in and were heading to the bar when we figured out most were way older than us

as we got back in the parking lot the guy in front was like "man 3 ladies pinched my ass" and the guy in back of the line of us was like "is that what that was"

we should have gone back in, but we figured we were busted for being under age after we had already walked out :huh:

had some good times at Yaga when it was new too

Galveston will always be great to me even though you can't drive on 99% of the beaches now......man we could really tear it up down there

Thanks Galveston!

• 3 weeks later...

Galveston has so much potential! The Island seems to be getting it together, but has a long way to go. I recently spent time in Cape May, New Jersey and when someone asked my to describe it? I said "Imagine if every historic house in Galveston was fixed up".

It will be interesting to see how the high gas prices impact the city. I was there for 4th of July and a friend that has lived there about 12 years told me it was as crowded as he had ever seen it.

What are your thoughts and memories of this quirky island in the gulf?

In order by decade:

1. Weekend Family excursions to Galvez and being able to drive the car (1960 Chevy Impala) down the concrete ramp (scary) onto Stewart Beach then jumping out and running into the crashing waves.

2. Driving down almost every weekend as a teen with the gang in too many junk cars to remember.

3. Big "Beach Party Blow Out" and "Battle of the Band's" promotional summer parties in early 80's. This is when the Beach Pavilion (Appfel Park) was new and The Beach Hut Club had Hawaiin Tropic Girls bikini contests, (Hurricane Alicia swept that party place into Galveston party folklore forever).

4. Going through Tropical Blend suntan lotion like it was going out of style. :D

PS, this was a great topic brought back very carefree, pleasant and fun days.

• The title was changed to Galveston

Archived