I-45 At Wayside

Good Afternoon,

hope your week goes well!

Does anyone have any insight ,knowledge, or comments on the following?

Wayside and I-45 has been modified along with the concrete columns painted bright yellow,purple,and pink

resembly the colors of the Gulfgate HEB .

Also on Dismuke and Lawdale a gas station , Nuevo Leon Bar, and an older home were torn down

and some trees were planted ? Will those open spaces become more parking spaces for the clinics across the street ?

I thought there was talk of another grocery store in the area or a signature store ?

Thank You

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the colors on the underpass are tacky and trashy...not sure what they were trying to accomplish..is this the citys attempt to say welcome to the east end? Reminds of when my neighbor painted his garge pink and green...he said it matched his brick.ha

the colors on the underpass are tacky and trashy...not sure what they were trying to accomplish..is this the citys attempt to say welcome to the east end? Reminds of when my neighbor painted his garge pink and green...he said it matched his brick.ha

All above is true. Looks like finger nail polish gone mad. Bet that some genius said "Oh well it's all Hispanic's living here so paint loud outlandish colors so they can feel at home". What else?

Fiesta stores must have designed? May as well place a sign thats says "Welcome to Dollar Store land". It really looks third world now. What's next border guards? :lol:

Anyway we vented on topic 'Loud noise in Idlywood" topic so maybe this can be merged.

Can we pay $ taggers to come do a number on this pathetic display? (have checkbook in hand)

That underpass looks like ass. I'm waiting for the city to install the permanent christmas lights. And maybe a '78 bonneville on blocks.

In other news, has anyone noticed the new vegetarian restauaurnt "and zen garden" with homemade sign, in the old HoJo?

Maybe they hope to get some hungry patrons of the Happy Days Lounge, next door?

That whole fiesta color scheme gives me bad flashbacks to the old San Antonio Spurs colors. It was just so sad to see David Robinson dressed like a pinata.

The most embarassing part of this whole deal is that there is a group somewhere (city employees) that actually picked these and were proud of their choices. Wonder how much they are getting paid?

since former dist i councilmember carol alvarado moved into idylwood, she'll have to see it everyday!

I noticed it for the first time a few days ago while driving around with some friends and I wasn't expecting it.

When they saw the expression on my face they said, "Yeah. I know. You figure they would at least use UH or TSU colors and NOT LSU."

I busted out laughing.

Oh, dear. They've done this to the Harrisburg underpass, too. I didn't know the "signature gateways" project meant "randomly slap on clearance paint from Olshan in colors that would make Liberace gag."

All of these comments are outrageously hilarious! My ribs hurt/tears flowing.

I really think Fiesta must have donated this bizarre, 5 & dime, nail polish.

I am only too happy that I turn off before this exit...oops! Telephone/45 may be next? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

since former dist i councilmember carol alvarado moved into idylwood, she'll have to see it everyday!

Is she actually living there now? I find it hard to imagine Miss A giving up her loft completely.

I also noticed that her campaign signs are purple. A calculated move, I'm sure.

Is she actually living there now? I find it hard to imagine Miss A giving up her loft completely.

I also noticed that her campaign signs are purple. A calculated move, I'm sure.

Yep and her underlings are already placing signs on yards/nabes as we speak. :o

I saw the underpass of Wayside and Gulf Freeway today. Felt like I was in Juarez. Just awful ! I hope these colors don't find their way to the Hobby Area. We need beautification...but not purple gold and pink underpasses !

I saw the underpass of Wayside and Gulf Freeway today. Felt like I was in Juarez. Just awful ! I hope these colors don't find their way to the Hobby Area. We need beautification...but not purple gold and pink underpasses !

or It's an East End Barbie World!

K9141.jpg

Or you can feel like Hello Kitty as you drive past. The kitty would feel right at home. :lol:

GUP-9404204.jpg

Thanking my lucky stars that Glenbrook Valley isn't in the East End Management District !

See below from East End Management District website. Decribing the colors as bold is an understatement.

"East End Streetscapes is an enhancement project selected for funding on January 31, 2002 by the Texas Transportation Commission under guidelines of the 2001 Statewide Transportation Enhancement Program. The $3.4 million project will focus on Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) and City of Houston rights-of-way in the Greater East End and will take advantage of the existing underpasses that mark many entryways into the District. Landscaping will follow guidelines established in the Green Ribbon Project Master Plan sponsored by the Texas Department of Transportation, Houston District. Funding for East End Streetscape is an 80/20% match, which means that the District must provide 20% of the project cost. Streetscape construction began December 3, 2007.

The District's project includes enhancements at the intersection of Harrisburg Boulevard at South Wayside and Macario Garcia; the Harrisburg RR underpass leading from downtown Houston eastward; the Franklin Street RR underpass leading to Jensen Drive, Canal Streets and Navigation Boulevard; and Wayside at I-45. The project will brand the East End with bold design and include much of our early Texas history on patterned sidewalks and iconic columns."

patterned sidewalks and iconic columns."

Great. :wacko: Can't wait to see what passes for an 'iconic column' in the east end. A broken phone pole covered in old creosote, tattered handbills for Mexican bus companies, and a few half-hearted tags?

I notice this project was funded in 2002. How long does it take to find the perferct shade of purple paint? Carol Alvarado must have hand-picked the colors.

I went by yesterday and saw this for the first time. It seems that they were definitely trying to go the "ethnic" route with the color scheme, just as they did with the "chinese red" columns under the 59 near Minute Maid. I agree that it looks highly tacky. My first thought was that it looked like the ball pit at Chucky Cheese.

headed to telwink shortly...i'll try and get some camera phone shots.

EDIT: what kills it for me is that the other side of the freeway looked like the shades of color were different. i wouldn't call it gold either, maybe txdot yellow.

M01A0187.jpg

I haven't seen the colors at Wayside yet, but it can't be half as bad as the Aggie maroon on 249. That's a safety hazard...makes me want to puke while I'm driving!

What's next, burnt orange baby **** colors on 290?

288 is going to get African colors put on it since it runs through predominately black neighborhoods. Expect to see the columns on bridges painted in kente cloth pattern, or red, black and green by 2009, along with rainbow pattern colors on certain segments of US 59 and Spur 527. :lol:

I thought there was supposed to be a design, not just solid colors? Also, we were told there was going to be additional lighting under the bridges. Has that happened either?

ETA: Added pic from Rey de la Reza website.

page_37_0003.jpg

The website drawing looks decent. Is there the possibility that they're not finished with it? Maybe they'll add more colors to the ones already there. There are still construction cones under there.

The website drawing looks decent. Is there the possibility that they're not finished with it? Maybe they'll add more colors to the ones already there. There are still construction cones under there.

i heard the harrisburg one is being painted. i think they told me one of the colors is green over there.

I went by yesterday and saw this for the first time. It seems that they were definitely trying to go the "ethnic" route with the color scheme, just as they did with the "chinese red" columns under the 59 near Minute Maid. I agree that it looks highly tacky. My first thought was that it looked like the ball pit at Chucky Cheese.

I just love the tar dripping from above bridge. I say leave as is. That way the world can see what real half-az work looks like.

As they indicated above Branding the neighborhood. Do you guys think newcomers will want to consider moving around here now? (I hear Tijuana Taxi in the background. Honk....honk). :lol:

An exercise in bad-taste indeed. This would even make John Waters barf out.

• 2 weeks later...
I passed by as I was visiting my mom the other day. That thing is ugly as sin - it won't last too long.

The overpass should have just been remade with wider non-coloring columns and great high tech lighting. See at night its terrible. Very dark and spooky.

18 wheelers have gotten jambed under for decades for it being too low, so it only would have made sense to remake higher.

Over at 45 and Beltway 8 they made the overpasses perfect! and painted them with a Gulf tropical theme. Much more pleasing to the eye. Maybe a cluster of palms & bouganvilla vines can hide this blunder?

• 3 weeks later...
M01A0187.jpg

Thats one of the worst things I have ever seen. I see someone has already roped off a spot to park a Taco Truck, you know the early bird gets the worm (after he drinks all the Tequila).

Archived