Six Houston Center At 800 Caroline St.

UrbaNerd

Once again McGillicuty, I have to call you out, man. You are quickly becoming a volcano that spews misinformation under the blanket of news from alleged "sources."

Have you and your alleged "source" not been reading the news? Lehman filed for Ch 11, AIG got bailed out and MS shares are down over 30% today to sub-$20 levels. Both you and your"source" at Crescent are wishful thinkers.

Plus, I spoke with my own "source" earlier today. Who I will add, is a real person that is intimately familiar with the He$$ deal. He confirmed that He$$'s deal at 6 HC is DEAD and has been dead for some time. They are down to two options: backfilling Devon's space at Allen Center or Discovery Tower, with TCC willing to redesign Discovery to accommodate.

6HC is on hold indefinitely and will likely not be built until markets return to normal. I personally wish it weren't so, but it's time to accept reality and move on.

^ Wow, this guy was really good, with dead on info predicting the future.

I wonder why he never posted again, insiders like him and swstig and hoothrewthepoo are the highlight of HAIF for me. Their inside info posts are like knowing what you got for christmas before opening your presents.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Too many spec proposals for DT and not enough tenants it seems. I hope this doesn't get built at the cost of losing 609 Main or the Steam building.

I don't think it will affect 609 Main, since they plan to break ground around the same time as well. I also think Skanska will build Capitol Tower. For International Tower, if we don't hear an official announcement before next year, well..

• Like 1

Too many spec proposals for DT and not enough tenants it seems. I hope this doesn't get built at the cost of losing 609 Main or the Steam building.

You seem to be right, because after adding up all the none owner-occupied office buildings proposed it comes out to quite a bit of space:

800 Bell Redevelopment - 1.3 Mil

609 Main - 1 Mil

5 Allen Center - 1 Mil

International Tower ~ 750k

Capitol Tower - 700k

6 Houston Center - 600k

Since 800 Bell, 609 Main, and 6 Houston Center all looking like they will move forward quickly, that makes for almost 3 mil sf of new space. I'm only guessing that doesn't bode well for International Tower, let alone 5 AC. I agree with Urbannizer that Skanska seems to be moving forward with Capitol Tower ,which could make for 3.6 mil sf under construction in the next couple years, but they sure are dragging their feet. Maybe has something to do with competition downtown and their Galleria tower leasing up slowly?

^ I would not assume that 6 Houston Center is actually moving forward so soon.  I imagine it will only do so if they sign sufficient leases.  Remember, they had a "ground-breaking" for this building once before.  Announcing that construction is set to begin in the 1st Quarter of 2014 is a far different thing than actually starting construction.  Developers often make such statements as part of their marketing.

You seem to be right, because after adding up all the none owner-occupied office buildings proposed it comes out to quite a bit of space:

609 Main - 1 Mil

5 Allen Center - 1 Mil

Capitol Tower - 700k

6 Houston Center - 600k

Since 800 Bell, 609 Main, and 6 Houston Center all looking like they will move forward quickly, that makes for almost 3 mil sf of new space. I'm only guessing that doesn't bode well for International Tower, let alone 5 AC. I agree with Urbannizer that Skanska seems to be moving forward with Capitol Tower ,which could make for 3.6 mil sf under construction in the next couple years, but they sure are dragging their feet. Maybe has something to do with competition downtown and their Galleria tower leasing up slowly?

Skanska is gutting out the interior of the Houston Club building right now. It took them a while to start that process, but they are definitely spending money on it.

609 Main - 1 Mil

5 Allen Center - 1 Mil

Capitol Tower - 700k

6 Houston Center - 600k

i could care less about 5AC, but if International Tower doesnt get built i will be extremely bummed. its one of the nicest proposed towers Houston has gotten in a long time and will be a big impact for people coming in from 45 and 59. im hoping its the tower that shifts the pendulum to start building towers outside the box again in Houston.

800 Bell wont start until 2015, and who knows how long reno will take. well say it wont be on the market until 2016-2017.. that gives International Tower plenty of time to get off the ground. im keeping my fingers crossed.. heh

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I feel like every time this building is proposed it's at the tail end of our mini boom cycle. Or maybe it was only once before, but I could swear this thing has been cancelled twice.

• Like 1

I feel like every time this building is proposed it's at the tail end of our mini boom cycle. Or maybe it was only once before, but I could swear this thing has been cancelled twice.

I think there has always been plans for additional Houston Center buildings, but the owners obviously have taken a long view (the original proposal dates from the 1970s).  I did think though that Six Houston Center was originally meant for the vacant block next to the Four Seasons.